Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Trader Joe's

Default Re: Trader Joe's

Interesting exchange on Steve's chat this morning...

Comment From Sooner Than Later: Last week you mentioned your sources telling you that Aubrey cleared out the wrong spot at NHP in relation to a future store (Trader Joes). Are you able to clarify where in NHP a better spot is for a store than what is currently available.

Steve Lackmeyer: Don't be surprised if Trader Joe's opens up in another section of Nichols HIlls Plaza.

That would point to the west side, SW of Ruth Meyers & Cool Greens, NW of CK&Co. The parking and ingress/egress is certainly better.

Quote Originally Posted by tomokc View Post
    That would point to the west side, SW of Ruth Meyers & Cool Greens, NW of CK&Co. The parking and ingress/egress is certainly better.

You mean the building on the far west side of the southern section, that runs north and south?

TJ's needs at least 8,000 square feet... Is there enough vacant space in that building?

Of course, they could easily move some of the existing tenants. I know there is a dry cleaners and some other things there.

Everyone in that building is gone except for a couple of small office users at the north.

C'mon, Pete, you're a big data guy. Don't you have this square footage in one of your Cray Supercomputers somewhere?

The building is certainly big enough, I was just wondering about vacancy.

Last time I was there (and took that first photo) there was a dry cleaners and some other tenants, as you can see by the cars out front.

Did they move them all out recently? And if so, where did they go?

And BTW, with a TJ's that parking lot is going to be absolutely slammed.

I'm hearing that NH Plaza is set to close by the end of the month, and I bet we'll see a deal with Trader Joe's announced almost immediately.

Selling to an out of state investor, by the way.

Not sure if this also includes Classen Curve.

the TJs i've been to in cali, ft worth and denver have all been freestanding. schaumberg, il and (obviously) NYC have not.

great prepared salads, as i picked up a couple for my wife and i for lunch in nyc last week. also, a good selection of whole bean coffee.

i'm looking forward to an anouncement

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm hearing that NH Plaza is set to close by the end of the month, and I bet we'll see a deal with Trader Joe's announced almost immediately.

Selling to an out of state investor, by the way.

Not sure if this also includes Classen Curve.
    I miss the old fashioned soda fountain in the drug store. I believe it was the last real soda fountain and grill in Oklahoma City. Thanks McClendon.

Yeah, now what becomes of all that space that Crescent Market and the drug store once occupied?

The Crescent space is big and deep and if not used for a grocery concept, I'm not sure who is going in there.

The City of NH had to raise prices for it's services due to the drastic decrease in sales tax revenue as well.

Chesapeake still owns scores of properties all around the plaza, including about 50 condos in the adjacent complexes they could never completely buy out.

Also, the gas stations and other small parcels on 63rd.

Trader Joe's doesn't require that much parking.

This is the first Trader Joe's that opened in San Antonio in the fall of 2012 at the Quarry Village.

Middle far left.

As you can see, TJ's (I) only has 72 parking spots.

This is the second San Antonio Trader Joe's, being built in Stone Oak.

As you can see here, there are only 71 parking spaces intended for Trader Joe's.

And I agree with the poster that said if Trader Joe's does enter the market, OKC would only get two. In San Antonio, Trader Joe's has said they want to open 4 or 5. San Antonio is a metro of 2.3 million. 3 million and over metros seem to have between 7-10 stores. 2 million and under metros seem to have between 1 and 3 stores. The higher in the million range you are, the more likely its 3. Vegas at nearly two million have 4. SLC, only has 1. New Orleans, Memphis have none.

They only may have 70 or so dedicated parking spots (most likely dictated by local building code) but their customers will take way more than that when the store is busy.

It would be awesome if one day OKC could attract a mixed-use retail development like the one above. Most of the Trader Joe's locations I am familiar with are in that type of development.

The apartments in Quarry Village rent between $1.50 and $2.50 per sf per month.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    The apartments in Quarry Village rent between $1.50 and $2.50 per sf per month.
    If built in OKC, I am sure the prices could be brought down to something the market could support.

They only may have 70 or so dedicated parking spots (most likely dictated by local building code) but their customers will take way more than that when the store is busy.
    TJ's has a way with dealing with it. I used to be afraid of parking there to the some of the one's I've been to, but it usually isn't too bad in my experience.

My guess is that Trader Joe's will be such an overwhelming success in OKC that there will be another location or two built. Once that happens, things should normalize in terms of parking.

They will certainly have multiple locations, especially since they are smaller store.
    I'm sure you're correct. They are opening 4 stores in the Denver/Boulder area in February on the same date.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm sure you're correct. They are opening 4 stores in the Denver/Boulder area in February on the same date.
    ....and only one (8th & Colorado) will have high point beer and wine, the rest may have 3.2 beer.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    ....and only one (8th & Colorado) will have high point beer and wine, the rest may have 3.2 beer.
    Does Trader Joe's make 3.2 versions of their beers? I don't think they would sell Bud, Coors, Miller, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Does Trader Joe's make 3.2 versions of their beers? I don't think they would sell Bud, Coors, Miller, etc.
    I don't know, never been in one of them. They may not sell any beer at all in the other locations, there are other specialty brands which are available in 3.2. I guess I will find out after they open.

Did you guys see in Portland, a neighborhood fought to not have Trader Joe's in it? They are trying to keep gentrification from happening. WOW!

Trader Joe's pulls plug on Northeast Portland development after 'negative reactions' from community | OregonLive.com

If they only knew how hard we are fighting to get just one!

I'll repost from the Edmond blog. In the Feb 4 Edmond Sun, (2013.....) It said that Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Fresh Market and Natural Foods where all looking at possible Edmond locations per Price Edwards. The statement was in an article about residential construction near the end and talked about commercial construction. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    I'll repost from the Edmond blog. In the Feb 4 Edmond Sun, (2013.....) It said that Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Fresh Market and Natural Foods where all looking at possible Edmond locations per Price Edwards. The statement was in an article about residential construction near the end and talked about commercial construction. Check it out.
    If the article was from 2013, it wouldn't surprise me if there has been some changes since then. Last I read on these boards is that Whole Foods would not be opening a second OKC location in the immediate future. Trader Joe's looks like its going to Nichols Hills Plaza or somewhere near there. A year ago, there were reports of that deal being dead.

I wouldn't be surprised though to see a Fresh Market or Natural Grocers end up in the new Chisolm Creek development. According to Pete there is an "upscale" grocer interested that is not Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.

Does anyone know if TJ's Dallas distribution center is complete and online? Last time I was in a TJ's in Dallas in October the staff told me their Dallas distribution center needs to be completed before the expansion to Oklahoma could be a reality. Take it for what it worth.

Quote Originally Posted by daddycaddy View Post
    Does anyone know if TJ's Dallas distribution center is complete and online? Last time I was in a TJ's in Dallas in October the staff told me their Dallas distribution center needs to be completed before the expansion to Oklahoma could be a reality. Take it for what it worth.
    It's in Irving and was supposed to open by the end of 2013.

If not already complete, it certainly will be before a store in OKC is open.

The article in the Edmond Sun was a recap of residential construction in 2013 and talked about businesses and construction in 2014. They could have gotten the info wrong. Would not be the first time. I guess I was just hoping. Off topic, anyone hear anything about the west side of I-35 south of 33rd. There is a large tract of land sitting. Just south a lot of dirt was moved a few years ago, like something was in the works, then nothing.

Thread Information