Widgets Magazine
Page 376 of 383 FirstFirst ... 276326371372373374375376377378379380381 ... LastLast
Results 9,376 to 9,400 of 9575

Thread: Streetcar

Default Re: Streetcar

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    I missed this before. This isn't really true. It's the only type of option the consultant wanted to promote. They swore up and down that couplets were better.
    it is absolutely true .. all the way back to the Alternative analysis process and the Maps transit subcommittee ..

I took the Amtrak from Fort Worth to OKC last night, which went smoothly despite snow/ice save a one hour to delay to de-ice a switch. A number of people made their way from DFW airport to Amtrak when their flights were cancelled. Anyway, I was surprised to see the OKC streetcar running at 11pm last night (it was predictably empty) because the DART in Dallas closed for the entire day. The reason I was told is because the overhead wires of the DART shouldn't operate in freezing temperatures. This didn't affect the A-Train, TRE, or Amtrak that don't have overhead wires and I was able to ride those yesterday. So my question is, what's different about OKC's streetcar and the DART?

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I took the Amtrak from Fort Worth to OKC last night, which went smoothly despite snow/ice save a one hour to delay to de-ice a switch. A number of people made their way from DFW airport to Amtrak when their flights were cancelled. Anyway, I was surprised to see the OKC streetcar running at 11pm last night (it was predictably empty) because the DART in Dallas closed for the entire day. The reason I was told is because the overhead wires of the DART shouldn't operate in freezing temperatures. This didn't affect the A-Train, TRE, or Amtrak that don't have overhead wires and I was able to ride those yesetday. So my question is, what's different about OKC's streetcar and the DART?
    We didn't get much actual freezing rain here, just sleet. The freezing rain sticks to wires but sleet doesn't.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I took the Amtrak from Fort Worth to OKC last night, which went smoothly despite snow/ice save a one hour to delay to de-ice a switch. A number of people made their way from DFW airport to Amtrak when their flights were cancelled. Anyway, I was surprised to see the OKC streetcar running at 11pm last night (it was predictably empty) because the DART in Dallas closed for the entire day. The reason I was told is because the overhead wires of the DART shouldn't operate in freezing temperatures. This didn't affect the A-Train, TRE, or Amtrak that don't have overhead wires and I was able to ride those yesetday. So my question is, what's different about OKC's streetcar and the DART?
    Having been a trainman for 38 years on the ATSF/BNSF, I thought it odd that there are no switch heaters on this line as opposed to the east west mainline KC to CA. Back in the day, on the ATSF, the track dept would place heater pots, that burned kerosene under the switch points during winter storms, to keep the points clean of ice, and working. I heard it was an EPA thing on the kerosene burning, but when a crew has to stop 3-4 locomotives to clean out switches by hand, and then start moving again, it doesn’t make sense.

5. Default Re: Streetcar

also OKC Streetcar has much less overhead wire. It's only located at dwelling location and for a few blocks here and there compared to 'traditional' LRT lines like DART which require overhead for the entirity of the course.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Um, it's like 50/50 or 60/40. Somewhere WAY upthread this was mentioned/discussed I believe.

7. Default Re: Streetcar

i was just in OKC and we rode the streetcar many times the week we were there and I don't recall seeing much if any overhead wire anywhere aside from Reno and some of the stops/dwelling locations. Definitely no-where near 50/50 or 60 wire/40 not - as we were specifically looking to compare to ours in Seattle (about 70 wire/40 not) and Tacoma (which has full wire).

I wonder where is Urban Pioneer - he'd likely know.

Using Google Maps to measure, it's about 60% on wire/40% off wire.

9. Default Re: Streetcar

All of the Bricktown portion of the route and all of the Automobile Alley/Midtown portions are on-wire. It goes on-wire at 4th and Hudson, and stays on-wire until the OCU Law stop at 7th and Robinson. Returns to on-wire immediately past the BNSF viaduct upon entering Bricktown on Sheridan, then the pantograph is once again lowered BEFORE leaving Bricktown at BNSF/Reno. It’s definitely on-wire for more than half the route.

Quite an oversight to stop service on Sunday, July 3rd at 10pm when 25,000+ at Scissortail Park were celebrating at Red White and Boom. Hundreds of us were just standing at the park platform dumbfounded that service ended at its normal time. Although I didn't mind walking back to my apartment in Midtown (I needed the steps anyway), it annoyed me that others, some of whom had taken the streetcar for the first time earlier that evening to park and ride, had this experience. Really unfortunate. I hadn't seen the streetcars this packed (Sunday afternoon into early evening) since pre-pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post
    Quite an oversight to stop service on Sunday, July 3rd at 10pm when 25,000+ at Scissortail Park were celebrating at Red White and Boom. Hundreds of us were just standing at the park platform dumbfounded that service ended at its normal time. Although I didn't mind walking back to my apartment in Midtown (I needed the steps anyway), it annoyed me that others, some of whom had taken the streetcar for the first time earlier that evening to park and ride, had this experience. Really unfortunate. I hadn't seen the streetcars this packed (Sunday afternoon into early evening) since pre-pandemic.
    They used to do the same with the rubber tire trolleys. I remember jumping on one to get back to my apartment in midtown, only to shortly later find out that I was on the "orange line" which I didn't know existed, and was bound for Meridian.

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post
    embark is giving free days passes to anyone effected as an apology .. https://okcstreetcar.com/2022-red-white-and-boom/

a group of us had taken streetcar from St Anthonys to Red, WHite and Boom as well. they did tell us however when we boarded that service would end at 10pm. so we made a plan and 3 of us after took Lime scooters to go get cars and came back and picked the other up. hopefully they look at that for future events as its a great way to get new riders familiar with the system as well as helps a parking issue.

As long as the pandemic stays somewhat under control, you'll see lots more events and concerts at Scissortail.

So, at least they are aware of the issue and will likely make adjustments.

Holt posted that the streetcar recently hit 1 million riders.

Hope they're ok!

trolley problem on steroids

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Hope they're ok!
    Okay that was really good, dad!

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Hope they're ok!
    I laughed.

Freakonomics podcast on making public transit free.

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/sho...ansit-be-free/

So the streetcar is out of service because a falling crane damaged the tracks?

That goes to show you there is little impact to canceling it during the week. If there were any substantial amount of people that relied on it for transportation, they'd have figured something out.

23. Default Re: Streetcar

such a negative tone always on here regarding the streetcar. in other cities things happen where rail is cancelled as part of normal business because, it's on rail which can't be moved.

That isn't a bad thing but what is bad is people continually criticising the streetcar yet failing to recognize that 1) it WOULD be successful if it were free and/or its route went into one or more residential neighborhoods and 2) it would be free if there weren't the 'link' to the bus system also needing to be free (which I totally don't see the connection) therefore 3) not sure why there also isn't a connection on the lack of success of the bus system. Can't have it both ways guys - if the systems need to be linked with regard to fare/operations then they should be linked with regard to performance and quality.

If you say buses are better then let the streetcar be free for now funded by downtown OKC Inc, then we'll see ridership near or above KC (which is/was free) and other systems people on here admire. Streetcar, as it is constructed, is meant to be a last mile option and circulator downtown - such a configuration isn't going to be full of riders all the time and should be free since its only downtown and not region wide like the buses.

I like the Streetcar but I really think the actual route is poorly designed. This bent 8 is painfully slow if you go South to North. Much faster the other way.

They need to split the routes in two and expend them to neighborhood in a more linear configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    That goes to show you there is little impact to canceling it during the week. If there were any substantial amount of people that relied on it for transportation, they'd have figured something out.
    Precisely why busses were the better option.

Thread Information