Widgets Magazine
Page 243 of 383 FirstFirst ... 143193238239240241242243244245246247248293343 ... LastLast
Results 6,051 to 6,075 of 9575

Thread: Streetcar

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

Anybody else hear the streetcar story on NPR this morning? Good stuff.

Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

Yeah, it was a good piece. Here is a link-

In D.C. And China, Two Approaches To A Streetcar Unconstrained By Wires : NPR

Our streetcars will be very similar to the Dallas system described. It though the audio about old historic Washing DC streetcars was pretty cool too. No idea that they used essentially a cable car type chase way for underground electrical contact. That would have been extremely advanced for the time. It is shame they took it out like every other city.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Just move the maintenance facility and the problem is solved and we get just that much closer to Capitol Hill. Then sell the current lot and invest in more track.
    Don't look for them to move the maintenance facility center at this stage; where would you put it if they were to move close to Capitol Hill. Much of that land toward the river leading into Capitol Hill will include the Central Park.

The puzzle for the Streetcar, Santa Fe Station Intermodal Hub, Maintenance Facility center, Convention center & conference hotel complex are situated where they are the most cost beneficial. There is no Utopia or SimCity solution for coordinating these projects.

Yep. Looks like we have quite a bit to talk about at the next Subcommittee meeting coming up this month.

So I'm assuming this means more delays?

7. Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

In spite of significant delays, Seattle will likely continue to order cars from INEKON for the next streetcar line here.

I think we may have a pretty broad discussion about it. What kind of supplier voids their multi-million dollar contract over some relatively simple paperwork?

What was needed to consummate the contract on their end was relatively simple. I guess we have to decide whether they are worthy of an extension or to pay more and try to negotiate a contract with the next vendor scored next in line.

This seems to be what INEKON does... What a weird deal.

10. Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

Not directly related to OKC's project, but thought this was interesting: PHOTOS: Cincinnati?s First Modern Streetcar Arrives in Over-the-Rhine ? UrbanCincy

I hope OKC s streetcar looks better than Cincinnati's.

I could be remembering wrong but back when INEKON was chosen, at a city council meeting the representitives from the American company were there and were hoping to instead get the project but at one point they said that INEKON was about to be bought by China. I never bothered to look up the validity to their claim or thought it matter much since they have a long history of making streetcars but urban pioneer or someone who might know, could that have soemthing to do with them missing such an easy deadline ?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Not directly related to OKC's project, but thought this was interesting: PHOTOS: Cincinnati?s First Modern Streetcar Arrives in Over-the-Rhine ? UrbanCincy

And here is a link to Kansas City's delivery that happened yesterday by the same company, CAF. Very excited for both cities.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/gover...e42201072.html

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I hope OKC s streetcar looks better than Cincinnati's.
    Just curious, what offends your eye about their vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    I could be remembering wrong but back when INEKON was chosen, at a city council meeting the representitives from the American company were there and were hoping to instead get the project but at one point they said that INEKON was about to be bought by China. I never bothered to look up the validity to their claim or thought it matter much since they have a long history of making streetcars but urban pioneer or someone who might know, could that have soemthing to do with them missing such an easy deadline ?
    Basically, it is my understanding that there was an attempt by a major Chinese businessman to buy a majority stake in INEKON. Ultimately, the Czech owner, Josef, decided not to sell the stake to him. The Chinese are investing in nearly everything. I think that this investor thought that the rapid expansion in China's urban infrastructure would also translate to manufacturing streetcars for their cities. Regardless, Josef is a very proud dude from what I understand and decided to retain majority ownership.

Thanks for the response but that makes sense. Although it further adds to how weird it is INEKON didn't meet the simple deadline.

I notice that many other cities have decided to number their new streetcars where they left off when the old systems were dismantled decades ago. Are we planning on doing the same thing here? It'd be a really neat nod to our history.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    There were streetcar sightings all over Ohio while the oversize motorcade was going down 75. It was quite the social media welcome. I like the yellow. KC's are oddly bus-looking.

Blog Entries

My money says ours will be Thunder colors...

Emergency meetings have been called for both the Streetcar Subcommittee and MAPS Oversight Board.

There is also this article from Saturday- Oklahoma City streetcar contract falls into jeopardy | News OK

Can anyone say "Brookville"?

I am going into a streetcar branding meeting today. Will bring up the Thunder colors!

Here is the Dallas hybrid streetcar by Brookville.

https://vimeo.com/126637036

Demonstration of Dallas streetcar going catenary free (wireless).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRBGFnC_vXk

I would be pretty happy to see the OKC streetcar supporting a PA-based manufacturer and the broader American high-tech manufacturing economy. Has Brookville ever had any issues like INEKON's well-reported ones?

The delays and additional 1 million in cost (or so it seems) kind of suck...

Based on how things are going, I think we might experience faster delivery with Brookville. If INEKON can't even get their paperwork in on time, I can't see how Brookville can do worse. Plus, one would think there would be a higher level of physical accountability with an American manufacturer. Seattle actually had to send their program manager to the Czech Republic to rattle their cage!

Also, remember, Brookville hired the law firm Phillips Murrah to contest the INEKON selection. That was on trivial technical matters. However, it demonstrates that they were willing to fight for the contract. Plus, in theory, there are efficiencies to be gained by piggybacking on Dallas' exercised options and Detroit's program.

I am not advocating. Just pointing out that quite a bit has happened that all counts towards confidence in Brookville's capability to perform on time. The most important being Dallas' system coming online as scheduled.

Is it to late in the game for any federal money if we do use brookville? As far as second choices go I think it's a win win for us and them. I am curious though if enough time has passed to where it will have to be re-bid or if it is as easy and just choosing the streetcar that was a second.

Thread Information