Widgets Magazine
Page 316 of 383 FirstFirst ... 216266311312313314315316317318319320321366 ... LastLast
Results 7,876 to 7,900 of 9575

Thread: Streetcar

Default Re: Streetcar

Quote Originally Posted by Mballard85 View Post
    As a person with a CC license and carries pretty regularly, this is just absurd. There is no reason to have that much ammo on you unless your just trying to cause a reaction or you're up to no good. Sounds like the situation was handled correctly by all around as nothing caused an escalation. But the guy is a moron for sure.
    I've gone through the CC training but haven't yet applied for my permit... and my reaction is the same as yours, and that's why I laughed at him. If you're unable to take care of business with the first 17 rounds, what makes you think 100 more will help? Given the circumstances, I'm 100% sure he was just trying to cause a reaction that he could film and I'm glad nobody - including Embark staff - took the bait. That said, I think the only Embark employee on the whole thing was in the cab, and I didn't see a police officer at all the entire time I was riding it.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Carry should be banned on the streetcar. Visably brandishing a weapon only causes unease among some and can lead to an overreaction to a minor incident. A shooting on the streetcar will all but kill ridership
    In a general sense, these concerns are why I'm not a big fan at all of open carry by the general public. I have no issue with lawful concealed carry, though. That said, to the best of my knowledge, it's unlawful to carry - open or concealed - on public transport in this state. I know at one point there was an effort to change that, but I'm honestly unsure if it came to pass. if I'm not mistaken, however, the only thing they can really do about it is ask you to leave (same as if you carry in a business that does not allow firearms) - but if you refuse to leave, then it's trespassing and that invites heavier consequences. But yes, I agree with you - especially in this critical period where the perception of the streetcar's usefulness is being built in the public's eyes, an incident involving firearms on the streetcar would spell certain doom for ridership, I'm afraid. Now, I truthfully don't know exactly how likely that is, but it is a concern.

Blog Entries

IMO this would be a good time for y'all to be contacting your council people to let them know your thoughts on signal prioritization. I have definitely emailed mine.

Quote Originally Posted by roci28 View Post
    Rode last night also with a group of friends, overall great experience. I really love this for our city! The only thing I really noticed that would speed things up and that is in the drivers control is to NOT stop at EVERY stop unless there are people wanting to get off or there are people waiting to get on. With 22 stops in addition to stop lights, etc this could make some time up.
    Comment. I wonder, since there is other SC’s on the route, if they speed up one car it could create 2 problems. It may start to catch up to car ahead and then less people get on thus meaning less stops needed and getting even closer to car ahead. And if it starts to catch up it leaves a bigger gap to the next car. So if car 2 is catching car 1 then gap between car 2 and 3 will be huge and might cause an unintended problem.

My guess is if one looks at the overhead picture and can imagine all cars spaced out evenly this may be why they still stop at each one?

The trick is to get all of them moving faster yet in sync.

I cannot believe this has not been addressed/fixed before go live. I mentioned this several pages back that timing will make or break this system. Its why bus system can’t draw riders its never timely.

This appears to be more “touristy” driven than “daily user riders”. Meaning it looks great and cost a lot but will never be reliable for workers or even events. Crowded events will always slow it down too.

What is going to happen when you have to start to pay to get on? Do you scan a ticket somewhere or have to show it to someone? I see this slowing things back down if everyone getting on has to scan a ticket of some kind.

Blog Entries

Honor system

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    What is going to happen when you have to start to pay to get on? Do you scan a ticket somewhere or have to show it to someone? I see this slowing things back down if everyone getting on has to scan a ticket of some kind.
    As I understand it - Urban Pioneer, please correct me if I am wrong - it will work like ticketing on the DART Light Rail system works. Basically, you purchase your pass at the kiosk on the platform before boarding. Once you board, you may be asked for your ticket by an EMBARK employee, and you must present a valid ticket if that occurs. Not everyone will be asked for their ticket, and it'll basically be at random.

Blog Entries

save paper/frustration/time and use the app (Token Transit). I've literally been standing at the fare station on a bus and bought and presented my pass to the driver without missing a step or delaying other passengers.

nm

So i had the experience of riding again, Thursday night with a friend visiting from Portland, and Friday night with my wife. In the first instance, we used the train to visit numerous watering holes. On Thursday night there weren't a ton of people out in general, but the trains were more than half full -- and they moved much quicker. You can already see the difference in one week.

Last night, we took several trips as my wife hadn't ridden yet, and every train was absolutely packed. It was incredible. And people are already beginning to learn the route system and stops. There were people getting on and off at basically every stop.

My Portland friend said OKC's streetcar is better than theirs, with nicer trains, but most importantly, a well designed series of stops. He said there are too many stops in Portland's streetcar and in our case, the spacing is good.

People need to call their council member and tell them we need to get the signal prioritization for the remaining traffic lights. Once that is done, the system will work very well.

Also, the Sunday service should run at least until 9 p.m.

And, this should be fare free going forward. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Me too. I guess the signal prioritize that we heard about was just on the "wish list". Hopefully this gets added in the coming months.

This makes the streetcar pretty worthless during major events if its just stuck in traffic.
    There is signal prioritization, just not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Oklahoma City has 3 times as much streetcar rail miles as Kansas City. We will have time to evaluate expansion on a 'go' or 'no go' decision with regards to other districts like the OUHSC and the Boathouse District.

We need to work on the kinks in the current route loops before we consider an potential expansion.

OKC did go full throttle with the streetcar, now let's give it an opportunity to develop along the loop and work.
    Even if we decide to expand, it will take several years to do so. No reason not to plan now. We can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Blog Entries

Rode the streetcar yesterday 12-22-2018. Good experience as we started out with breakfast at the I-HOP. Rode the Clear Sky Blue car which took us on the 2-mile Bricktown loop--the car was 3/4 full. This car didn't update you on the next stop or the one we left.

Upon its return to IHOP, we arrived just in time for the Rosebud Red car which took us thru the entire 6.9 mile loop.

There were a group of what appeared to be 5 younger adults 16-22 years of age on the downtown bird scooters, one darted right in front of the streetcar near the downtown I-HOP as it was making its turn toward the Bricktown Ballpark--he bounced the curb. Thankfully, the streetcar was fully loaded moving about 10 mph; these rail vehicles can't stop on a dime like regular vehicles. The young man laughed as he barely escaped a date with death.

The bird scooters will be a concern once the streetcars aren't at full capacity; especially with riders who want to flirt with death on these scooters--the streetcar will involuntarily accommodate your date with death.

Please note that the Rosebud Red streetcar did announce the upcoming stops which also appeared on the screen. Some departing stops were announced as well. Safety announcement to move back as the doors were closing...

The Oklahoma City Streetcar is in a good position to be a success. Didn't see any of the Bermuda Green cars on the track throughout our experience.

Blog Entries

dupe

Blog Entries

I missed a car yesterday and immediately grabbed a scooter and beat the train I missed to my destination, which got me thinking there should be a scooter zone at each stop. city should work with the scooter vendors on making that happen. would help for those times when the last mile solution doesn't actually get you to your destination.

Blog Entries

...Also, the driver was in an isolated compartment booth with door separate from passengers (no apparent interaction). You could see the driver if you were in front of the streetcar before it departed or after its stop.

Noticed a steel like bar to hang a bicycle near the middle of the streetcar were there was a poll for a number of people to use when the car is crowded or over capacity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I missed a car yesterday and immediately grabbed a scooter and beat the train I missed to my destination, which got me thinking there should be a scooter zone at each stop. city should work with the scooter vendors on making that happen. would help for those times when the last mile solution doesn't actually get you to your destination.
    Come on shawnw; you are joking?

IMHO wouldn't advise anyone to attempt what you just said you did.

Blog Entries

I think for the most part folks agree that the micro transit option is more helpful than hurtful. if I get off a streetcar and my destination is still a block or two away and I'm running late, what's the downside to having the option of grabbing a scooter from that stop to finish my journey?

p.s. in case it came across wrong, I didn't race my streetcar to bricktown side-by-side, I took a different route. was just making the point that a scooter bailed me out when I was in a timing jam, meeting someone and still made it on time.

Blog Entries

OK, that's fair enough. You said you were able to catch up with the streetcar; why didn't you just ride the scooter to meet someone at the destination?

The streetcar rollout will be a period test & challenge up until January 5, a period where we integrate ridership on the streetcar with regular traffic.

If you're not careful, you may meet more than just someone; it may very well be an undertaker & your maker. STAY COOL, BE SAFE...

Blog Entries

I live close to two streetcar stops. Basically the order of operations is if I don't encounter a scooter while walking to the streetcar, I take the streetcar. In this case there was a scooter a block over so when I missed the streetcar I walked to the scooter.

OKC STREETCAR HOLIDAY HOURS!

Christmas Eve December 24th 6am - Midnight
    Christmas Day December 25th 11am - 7pm
    New Year's Eve December 31st 6am - 2am
    New Year's Day, January 1st 6am - Midnight

PARENTS! Being a dad myself, I gave a bit of thought to the schedule. We have had trains at near capacity this past week at nearly all hours. Christmas might actually be a great day to come out with the kiddos if they are stir crazy later that afternoon. With many shops closed, I would anticipate that Christmas will a be a great day to simply enjoy the ride and see our city in a completely new way! Our streetcars are stroller and wheelchair friendly with complete level boarding and plenty of room for such devices. Come on out! -Jeff

Wife and I rode the entire streetcar route Saturday evening. It was a standing room only event. It was fun to hear those standing near me, obvious guests to OKC making the 'ooooh....awwww' sounds as we progressed on the route. It will be interesting to see the amount of riders 30 days from now.

My wife and I went out on Christmas Eve riding the streetcar from the Library to Midtown for some light last minute shopping. After finishing up downtown we decided to go to Penn Square since we didn't find a few last minute items. I really wish we had some sort of galleria mall or more shopping in the core. I love all of the local places, but both my wife and I mentioned that it wold be nice to come downtown, and have both great dining and shopping options, as well as being able to walk and use the street car the whole day instead of having to load and unload the baby seat and stroller and drive through traffic and find parking every time we go somewhere new.

This question may be for a completely separate thread, but when will DT OKC start seeing more retailers such as H&M, CVS/Walgreens, Apple/Best Buy, Coach/Burberry/other hi-end stores, Nike/UA/Adidas, or something like department stores? Are the urban gallerias still viable entities? Is DT OKC still not there in terms of residents to support such shopping outlets? To me it seems with the streetcar we could definitely see a return of some big retailers to the DT core.

23. Default Re: Streetcar

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    Wife and I rode the entire streetcar route Saturday evening. It was a standing room only event. It was fun to hear those standing near me, obvious guests to OKC making the 'ooooh....awwww' sounds as we progressed on the route. It will be interesting to see the amount of riders 30 days from now.
    I was in town this weekend and took a drive around Downtown to look at the activity and lights. We had the occasion to meet up with the streetcar as it was going through Bricktown and it was totally packed. Tons of people around Bricktown over to the Myriad Gardens even though there wasn't a Thunder game. Also, I was happy to see the business and restaurants along Broadway/Auto Alley looking very busy. The streetcar has bright train lights so it really added to the active atmosphere in the area.

Rode the streetcar for the first time on Christmas Day and it was very cool to see the reactions of driver and pedestrians as it passed by. The entire loop took about 45-50 minutes...there was light traffic and light ridership due to it being Christmas Day, but the driver still stopped at every platform, and we also held at the Dewey stop for about 5 minutes (not sure why). So I could definitely see how the timing will likely speed up in the future.

25. Default Re: Streetcar

If there are multiple streetcars on the circular, it is necessary to maintain a schedule and spacing so the cars don't bunch up because one got held up for one reason or another. The light rail here in Denver has to do this frequently to maintaining the spacing. This can include stopping momentarily between stations or longer stops at stations.

Thread Information