Widgets Magazine
Page 371 of 383 FirstFirst ... 271321366367368369370371372373374375376 ... LastLast
Results 9,251 to 9,275 of 9575

Thread: Streetcar

1. Default Re: Streetcar

too bad OKC is a republican city, I mean OKC never gets these kinds of investments from the federal government. . ...

$174M would expand OKC's streetcar up to Asian District and down to Capital Hill. The likely required other $174M matching (from the city, state, and OU) could extend to the HSC, Capital campus, and possibly NE 23rd/Lincoln or beyond; while also creating dual track backbones downtown along Sheridan, N Broadway and S Robinson. ..

Now THAT would get heavily used and spur additional ridership as tourists come in via rail or plane but won't need to rent a car to patronize 90% of what OKC has to offer. No to mention locals and the working class living/working in the central core. .. Couple with the BRT and a shuttle to Stockyard's City and Commuter Rail (if ever) from Edmond-Downtown-Norman and MWC-Downtown then you have the entire city attractions covered by rail or rapid transit and much of the metro accessible to downtown by mass transit (feeding the streetcar). ...

Oh well. Let's keep rooting for other peer cities.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Streetcar

While on my visit to the FedEx downtown today, I passed several empty Street Cars. We need to make the street cars free until we can build some ridership.

We can't look to ever expand the streetcar routes when there is little to no ridership. Make the streetcars free for the remainder of 2021; build ridership then our city can evaluate charging a fee.

^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

While on my visit to the FedEx downtown today, I passed several empty Street Cars. We need to make the street cars free until we can build some ridership.

We can't look to ever expand the streetcar routes when there is little to no ridership. Make the streetcars free for the remainder of 2021; build ridership then our city can evaluate charging a fee.
    In all fairness, nearly everyone I know who works within the core of the city downtown spends at least half their week, if not all of it, still working from home. Also, I can't imagine there is as much enthusiasm to ride in a streetcar next to other people given the current conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    In all fairness, nearly everyone I know who works within the core of the city downtown spends at least half their week, if not all of it, still working from home. Also, I can't imagine there is as much enthusiasm to ride in a streetcar next to other people given the current conditions.
    Very reasoned response to the low ridership being experienced at this time.

Blog Entries

Still riding the bus and the streetcar on the regular. I know that doesn't mean much statistically. But covid precaution wise everybody is masked and seats are closed off for distancing/rider reduction.

I don't live in OKC, but I typically ride public transportation 1-2 times per week. I haven't rode it since the pandemic started and I won't again until I've my vaccine kicks in. The pandemic can't be helping numbers.

Blog Entries

Part of the risk calculus is duration of exposure, size of the room, ventilation, etc. (in addition to masks) On a bus, while small, you're only on it 15-20 minutes at most and the doors open a lot which probably helps with ventilation (they have some windows open during warm months). The calculators I've seen have risk being pretty low for that duration of exposure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Part of the risk calculus is duration of exposure, size of the room, ventilation, etc. (in addition to masks) On a bus, while small, you're only on it 15-20 minutes at most and the doors open a lot which probably helps with ventilation (they have some windows open during warm months). The calculators I've seen have risk being pretty low for that duration of exposure.
    Ventilation on buses are very bad. Proximity to others is very bad. Lots of people off and on who are coming from lots of other places. Lots of touch points.

All in all, busses should rate very high in the risk category.

Blog Entries

If I'm not biking I'm busing. Hundreds of trips during covid on the bus. No issues.

But many in my circles have gotten it from theoretically less risky behavior.

Ran some errands downtown last week between 4:00 and 7:00 PM. It was dead and we were the only ones on the streetcar during both trips. I understand it's winter and we are still in the time of COVID, but geez.

12. Default Re: Streetcar

perhaps we need to revise the schedule to 30-min headways during the 'off-season'?

Better yet - I agree with others who mentioned we should make it free until ridership and downtown destinations in general are back/at to the levels that can warrant a fare. Me personally, I've always recommended we had the streetcar as free until other transit modes came online - and even then I'd have a fare transfer mechanism to where a ride from the suburbs would just cost that fare with transfer to the streetcar or local downtown bus free (for a period of time).

IMO, it almost seems as if the recently departed city leadership wanted the Streetcar to fail. .... Can we reverse that strategy now that new folks are on the horseshoe? We're paying for empty cars anyway - why not make them free so they can at least be used. ....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    perhaps we need to revise the schedule to 30-min headways during the 'off-season'?

Better yet - I agree with others who mentioned we should make it free until ridership and downtown destinations in general are back/at to the levels that can warrant a fare. Me personally, I've always recommended we had the streetcar as free until other transit modes came online - and even then I'd have a fare transfer mechanism to where a ride from the suburbs would just cost that fare with transfer to the streetcar or local downtown bus free (for a period of time).

IMO, it almost seems as if the recently departed city leadership wanted the Streetcar to fail. .... Can we reverse that strategy now that new folks are on the horseshoe? We're paying for empty cars anyway - why not make them free so they can at least be used. ....
    Thank You, Hot Rod

HangryHippo Guest

Making it free is the thing to do, but the route is pretty useless, IMO.

I think one of the reasons a fare is still in place is because the buses are not free. Another reason is having a fare gives an excuse/reason to kick transients off for camping streetcar stops and camping the cars themselves. Notice at each stop there is a clear print stating that the bench and platform is a fare required zone.

Blog Entries

Right, Embark views this as a Title VI issue. If the streetcar is free then the buses have to be free, else Title VI violation.

Why didn't KC have a Title VI issue making their streetcar free?

Blog Entries

IMO it's an interpretation issue. But also perhaps the KC streetcar is run by a separate entity (no idea) than their bus system?

Blog Entries

The KC Streetcar Authority has received $174 million from a federal transit award from the U.S. Department of Transportation for the Main Street Extension project.
    https://www.kmbc.com/article/federal...nsion/34917831

20. Default Re: Streetcar

I would think KC's would be MORE compelled to abide by Title VI than OKC since theirs received significant federal funding (to the tune of $40M more than OKC's entire project). There are other examples where cities have some new forms of transit free and not others. Portland Streetcar is the posterchild example.

Even in OKC, isn't the downtown circular bus free? I know it WAS.

I honestly, again, think all of this is meant to make the streetcar fail by previous leadership and not a legitimate argument. As for transient enforcement, they can do that without fares - just hire transit police (which they should do anyway). The route isn't THAT long/far and as some have mentioned, the route itself isn't that exciting. ..

Point is, we should already have transit police who should already be enforcing transit rules; so the argument of transient enforcement is debunked and since OKC has another form of transit that is and has long been free - the argument of title VI binding streetcar fares is also debunked.

Right, Embark views this as a Title VI issue. If the streetcar is free then the buses have to be free, else Title VI violation.
    that is a made up issue .. .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Even in OKC, isn't the downtown circular bus free? I know it WAS.
    CIRC was never free (but has been discontinued anyway).

It's predecessor, the old trolley looking buses funded by MAPS I were free to riders but technically was funded by sponsorships.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    that is a made up issue .. .
    not disagreeing, just explaining it as I understand it

24. Default Re: Streetcar

Streetcar operations halted to help reduce the power usage. Replacement with support vehicles until further notice.

not disagreeing, just explaining it as I understand it
    i understand..... I'm sorry if i came across as negative toward your post.. . i appreciate and 100% agree with what you wrote

Thread Information