Widgets Magazine
Page 383 of 383 FirstFirst ... 283333378379380381382383
Results 9,551 to 9,575 of 9575

Thread: Streetcar

1. Default Re: Streetcar

Couldn't agree more. Amazing what 3 total blocks added would do to the system, how did we miss that in the initial development?

The city "found" MAPS III money remaining for the fairgrounds - IMO that should have been made available for the streetcar - I think/hope they could probably also find funds in MAPS IV to implement this "easy" but very useful fix.

I'd argue we should also add a revenue stop (funds available) along the Hudson side of Scissortail Park. We woulnd't necessarily need to dual track it yet but would it make an improvement to access to the lower portions of the park while we develop expansion plans?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: Streetcar

There is a bit of track that already exists that could bypass BrickTown at Gaylord, correct?

3. Default Re: Streetcar

^^^^^^^^^
    That’s correct. There’s also a generally-unused cutoff track on 5th between Robinson and Broadway. The one you mention seems close (and in reality IS close) to the Robinson extension I’m proposing, but I don’t think using it instead would accomplish the same thing. In true Bo and Luke Duke fashion I’m straightening the curves.

It might be better now, but right after it opened. I was downtown with my family and in-laws and was trying to get the tickets prior to the train coming. It was such a PITA system and I just about missed the train it took so long to buy 5 tickets. Also the machines would take your money even on free days and don't tell you kids are free.

I really don't mind paying for public transit, but the actual process of paying for public transit everywhere is terrible. Even in Korea, where the subway system is amazing, buying tickets is terrible, only think in the whole country that requires cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    It might be better now, but right after it opened. I was downtown with my family and in-laws and was trying to get the tickets prior to the train coming. It was such a PITA system and I just about missed the train it took so long to buy 5 tickets. Also the machines would take your money even on free days and don't tell you kids are free.

I really don't mind paying for public transit, but the actual process of paying for public transit everywhere is terrible. Even in Korea, where the subway system is amazing, buying tickets is terrible, only think in the whole country that requires cash.
    Paying for public transit in Argentina is amazing. You get a SUBE card, you put money on the card and you touch pay the card when you travel. It blew the hell out of everywhere I traveled in Europe. If you swipe the subway soany times in a month the rest of the rides in that month come at a reduced rate.

I think they even can now use NFC with their phone and can reload their account online.

When I lived in DC, I just setup a card to autoload and you just tapped it to use transit, and that was over a decade ago now. I think you can just tap your phone at this point. And they even support tapping your watch. That seems pretty easy.

I have only used other country metros in Rome and London - I don't think I had any issues with them that I recall. I am pretty sure they both support tap-to-pay as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    When I lived in DC, I just setup a card to autoload and you just tapped it to use transit, and that was over a decade ago now. I think you can just tap your phone at this point. And they even support tapping your watch. That seems pretty easy.

I have only used other country metros in Rome and London - I don't think I had any issues with them that I recall. I am pretty sure they both support tap-to-pay as well.
    there is a phone app in okc it is super easy to use

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Last thing I'll say here is other than riding it for something to do, we tried numerous times to take it to go out to eat, and every single time it was easier to walk. Here is my example for what we tried to do for brunch. We wanted to try Tellers. According to google maps it was an 11 minute walk straight down Robinson. If we wanted to take the streetcar it was a 2 minute walk to the Scissortail stop. Then a 5 minute ride to the library stop. Then a 4 minute walk from the Library to Tellers, for a grand total of also 11 minutes. Now that's only if the streetcar is waiting on me, which it isn't. I'd at least factor 5 minutes. Since no matter what we'd have to walk in the cold drizzle, there is zero change I'm relying on the streetcar.
    This pretty much sums up my feelings about it. Lived at the Park Harvey for about 10 years which is one block from two different stops and never used it once (obviously it wasn't operational that entire time). Any time I would consider using it I would want to use it to go to midtown or occasionally bricktown. I could walk to midtown in 15 minutes but if I were to catch the streetcar at the exact right time I would still be looking at 18 minutes between walking to the stops and the 12 minute ride on the streetcar. If you factor in the alternative of taking a scooter you are looking at like 5 minutes. The only scenario it would ever make sense to take it is if it was cold and raining.

As it's laid out now it takes way too long to get anywhere compared to walking. I think they originally envisioned this as something that downtown/St. Anthony workers could take to lunch around the city for example but it takes entirely too long for that to be viable. If you only have an hour lunch break and want to go across town where it is too far to walk you are going to have to spend half of it on the streetcar trying to get to a place to eat and back. It doesn't seem to really have any practical real world use case for people who work and live downtown as it stands. If they really want to increase ridership they need to start expanding outwards towards neighborhoods so it could be a commuting transit option. Right now it just seems to be a novelty for tourists.

Not sure how much this would help with the current implementation and how realistic it is but not having a dedicated lane and having to come to a full stop at every turn light is a killer. I suspect it would run ~20% faster and on more regular intervals if it only came to a stop at dedicated stations.

You realize you can just buy a T money card and load money onto it. They sell them at convenience stores or you can get it at the airport. That way you don’t need to buy tickets at every station. Just tap and go. The same as the octopus card in Hong Kong or the passmo in Tokyo. I do kinda wish okc implemented something similar for busses but I don’t think there is any way the city has funds for it.

Quote Originally Posted by okcrun View Post
    Not sure how much this would help with the current implementation and how realistic it is but not having a dedicated lane and having to come to a full stop at every turn light is a killer. I suspect it would run ~20% faster and on more regular intervals if it only came to a stop at dedicated stations.
    Good post, and yep, sums it up quite nicely. However, I thought all streetcars had signal prioritization so they'd change any upcoming red lights to green so they could fly (well, crawl) through them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Good post, and yep, sums it up quite nicely. However, I thought all streetcars had signal prioritization so they'd change any upcoming red lights to green so they could fly (well, crawl) through them.
    Not all of the lights have signal priority. I think the justification is that one streetcar will go "too fast" through the system and potentially catch up to another streetcar, which results in them not being spaced out appropriately on the loops.

Does anyone have any insight as to the likelihood that there will be any improvements/any additional expenditure to the streetcar system in the near to medium term? As much as I would love to see it happen there seems to be very little appetite any time soon (especially given the general lack of interest/use by the "general" population of the city), but I would love to be wrong (and do enjoy day dreaming about what could be done to make it a more useful tool for the city).

^^^Me too

Blog Entries

Like I have said, put four passing sidings in at four stops, and run the trolley in both directions. And make the bricktown loop seperate from the city loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    Like I have said, put four passing sidings in at four stops, and run the trolley in both directions. And make the bricktown loop seperate from the city loop.
    run it the wrong way down streets ..

congrats the worst idea ever

Looking at Omaha’s streetcar map they have a downtown circulator and then a couplet connecting downtown to their midtown area along a commercial corrdor. This would be like if OKC extended the streetcar down Classen to connect downtown to near-north areas toward Western Ave and Penn Square/ OAK

Is the streetcar doing OK business? Every time I'm downtown and see one pass by, I can count the number of passengers on one hand.

18. Default Re: Streetcar

Is Omaha's up and running?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Is Omaha's up and running?
    They just started moving utilities under the street and it won't be ready to go until mid-2026 at best. They did finalize the route, they added a shot loop at the east end since they are sticking the maintenance facility under the interstate there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine View Post
    You realize you can just buy a T money card and load money onto it. They sell them at convenience stores or you can get it at the airport. That way you don’t need to buy tickets at every station. Just tap and go. The same as the octopus card in Hong Kong or the passmo in Tokyo. I do kinda wish okc implemented something similar for busses but I don’t think there is any way the city has funds for it.
    Yeah, that's the problem. You have to buy them at a convenience store, not on the subway platform. In the subway station it cash or nothing. They at least sold the ride all day passes, but still had to use cash for it.

All payment systems are fine for locals or once you figure them out, but at this point I should just be able to tap my CC to pay a fare, not get a special app, go to a convenience store, or carry correct change to buy public transit fares.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Looking at Omaha’s streetcar map they have a downtown circulator and then a couplet connecting downtown to their midtown area along a commercial corrdor. This would be like if OKC extended the streetcar down Classen to connect downtown to near-north areas toward Western Ave and Penn Square/ OAK

That was the point of the Rapid BRT.

Yeah, that's the problem. You have to buy them at a convenience store, not on the subway platform. In the subway station it cash or nothing. They at least sold the ride all day passes, but still had to use cash for it.

All payment systems are fine for locals or once you figure them out, but at this point I should just be able to tap my CC to pay a fare, not get a special app, go to a convenience store, or carry correct change to buy public transit fares.
    You can also buy them at the subway station too and refill them there as well. I lived in Asia for 7 years and was in Hong Kong at least once a month. And probably in Seoul every other month. There is basically a place where you can ask the attendant and they’ll sell one to you. Same for the pass I card in Tokyo.

Same for the multiple different subway cards in China “if you just say shenzhen tong” or whatever city you’re at with tong at the end they’ll sell you a card for like $5. In all of these places it’s the same you can either add money at subway station using one of those kiosks, ask the attendant and give them money or go to a convenience store. The most efficient way is a convenience store because some of the subway stations are way too busy. All of these options are easy and fine for anyone even tourists because I don’t know how many times I’ve traveled “and worked” in multiple cities in Asia and it’s all the same setup with multiple places to buy and refill subway cards. In fact I still have most of those subway cards and when I go back I refill them at the airport and hop on the subway to go to my hotel.

Went to the Boston game Jan 2nd took the street car to go eat in Bricktown Ballpark stop. Had dinner and went back around 6 to take the street car to the game. My friend has walking issues so street car is easier. The times on the app and what was on the screen was way off. The screen said 22 minutes. Open the app to find where the streetcar was and after about 5 minutes finally figured how to pull up a map. The older version on the app pulled up right away. There were 2 street cars around the arena and the other one was in automobile alley. So even my friend was like screw this let's just walk. I have never understood on Thunder game nights why they don't have a bricktown loop going from 5-10. I heard a couple saying lets just walk to their bricktown hotel cause they didn't want to ride the streetcar all the way around. It has to get better.

There was someone checking fares on the street car at 9pm after the Thunder game Sunday night Arena stop. 2-4-24. Only the second time I have been asked. The ones that didn't pay had cash out but then he got off at the scissortail park and they didn't have to pay.

5pm Friday Feb 23 night of Thunder game same guy was getting on the streetcar at the Scissortail Park stop. Checked for tickets and than got off an waved to the drive too go. Is this happening more often or I have just hit him at the right time twice this month?

Thread Information