Widgets Magazine
Page 372 of 383 FirstFirst ... 272322367368369370371372373374375376377 ... LastLast
Results 9,276 to 9,300 of 9575

Thread: Streetcar

Default Re: Streetcar

I gotta say, I experienced LA metros new unenforced fare policy(basically allowing free use) and I really am starting to change my mind about free fares. They don’t contribute all that much funding to the system and really just induce more riders. I find myself using the busses more with little thought. OKC should make all its busses and trains free.

On a side note metro is going to implement a fare free pilot that allows a very large group of riders to ride free.

I think it's premature to judge the streetcar based on pandemic year performance. Probably should wait until there are actually Thunder games and all the other downtown events before we count this as a failure.

The senate committee cleared HB-2182 to be considered by the house and senate which would allow individual transit systems to tow vehicles obstructing fixed rail guideways. I really wish they included bus and bicycle lanes as well but this is a start. If it becomes law, hopefully it will improve overall reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    On a side note metro is going to implement a fare free pilot that allows a very large group of riders to ride free.
    I think the concern is that our public transit system will just become mobile homeless shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I think the concern is that our public transit system will just become mobile homeless shelters.
    A problem that can be overcome by enforcing or imposing something like a loitering law but I doubt LA Metro will do it. The red line in particular has already become a de facto homeless shelter.

From https://twitter.com/OKCStreetcar/sta...09182146666502

Your preferred downtown ride just got real! All platforms now feature a real-time map. No more guessing - see where your next ride is. View online at https://realtime.okcstreetcar.com #ForwardTogether

7. Default Re: Streetcar

Finally!

Awesome! This is an integral part of helping people figure it out. Going to have to go check this out soon.

9. Default Re: Streetcar

I also noted while in OKC last week that streetcars kept moving if nobody was at a stop or nobody on the train signaled for a stop (other than at dwell stations).

SHOULD BE A BIG IMPROVEMENT.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

The governor signed HB 2182 into law today which gives transit authorities the ability to tow a vehicle blocking a rail fixed guideway. This is a good step but I wish the bill would have been worded that would allow for towing vehicles out of bus lanes too.

https://twitter.com/oklahomatransit/...905367555?s=21

Anybody have recent ridership numbers? Are they still being published?

HangryHippo Guest

After spending the last couple of days downtown, it was stupid not to run the streetcar down the middle of Broadway.

Also, the route just isn’t good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    A problem that can be overcome by enforcing or imposing something like a loitering law but I doubt LA Metro will do it. The red line in particular has already become a de facto homeless shelter.
    I ride from time to time and on occasion, have chatted up some of the more interesting looking folks. Had a fine conversation with a disabled veteran who informed me that I was doing the lawyer thing wrong, i.e., that the courthouse is actually a ship, that the gold fringes on our U.S. flags are flags of Admiralty, that our judges are captains. I was somewhat familiar with the concept, having read plenty of fringe stuff online over the years. But we had a good time.

^^^ oh yeah, add some patience and willingness to just listen, it can be VERY interesting. I had some guy who was convinced I was Kurt Cobain reincarnated but I couldn’t get him to understand I was born in 93.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I ride from time to time and on occasion, have chatted up some of the more interesting looking folks. Had a fine conversation with a disabled veteran who informed me that I was doing the lawyer thing wrong, i.e., that the courthouse is actually a ship, that the gold fringes on our U.S. flags are flags of Admiralty, that our judges are captains. I was somewhat familiar with the concept, having read plenty of fringe stuff online over the years. But we had a good time.
    And thank you for doing that. Everyone is human and it's nice to engage and be friendly with all. Kindness goes a long way.

Cross post from the Innovation District thread, a proposal for streetcar lines extensions up to 23rd by way of 10th, Classen, and Broadway and over to the Innovation District by way of 4th and Harrison Ave.

Blog Entries

If they can fund that, no objection

The streetcar will be free throughout the Festival of the Arts, starting tomorrow (Tuesday) and running through Sunday.

That seems pretty cool, but really wish it would go to 23rd.

I could get down with the green line, but the black line would require several billions of dollars worth of investment in that area before it's worth it. Streetcars should connect business, public, and dense residential spaces. Just make the green line longer eventually running up Lincoln to capital and down Broadway to downtown.

I can't say I interpreted the black line as a streetcar line, I think it's just a district boundary line of some sort. Streetcar going down 235 doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I can't say I interpreted the black line as a streetcar line, I think it's just a district boundary line of some sort. Streetcar going down 235 doesn't make sense.
    you are correct

News last night reported the streetcar is free from the 22nd to the 29th of June.

I rode the streetcar from midtown to bricktown the past two weekends, and I don't understand why can't get the SCs closer to 5 minute intervals. It seemed we hit almost every red light. The SC stopped for every stop whether anyone was waiting or needed to get off. We waited 15 minutes for one SC and 9 minutes for another. Will they ever do better integration with the stop lights or add more SCs to the line to speed up the intervals between SC arrivals?

Thread Information