Widgets Magazine
Page 370 of 383 FirstFirst ... 270320365366367368369370371372373374375 ... LastLast
Results 9,226 to 9,250 of 9575

Thread: Streetcar

Default Re: Streetcar

Uber, Lyft, and scooters took a significant bite out of the public transportation revitalization movement. And now the pandemic has amplified this effect.

The current route is salvageable with future main line as I noted an example in post #9206.

The future of streetcar expansion funding in OKC is definitely going to be tough to pass [see impossible] in this environment. The best we can do right now is removing fares and promoting use.

I prefer trains and buses to people's private cars... I don't know why, but that is just me. Same goes whenever in NYC, never once do I think of getting inside a taxi, it is always the subway and/or walk.

For OKC, we mostly just walk for the exercise and to enjoy DT, since we only go DT for fun. If I worked there, I would park in a location just to use the transit we have!

Nearly 2 years after opening, the streetcar stops finally got their wire mess backing and replaced the plastic snow fencing.

Which it was glass, but still looks nice.

Still just frustrating that the state mandated that extra expense without any actual ADA legal requirement to make it so... just that they wanted it.

What's with the OSU branding, did they sponsor the stop?

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    What's with the OSU branding, did they sponsor the stop?
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The company line is hard to buy considering workers are risking their jobs to fight for [checks notes] a bathroom break. I hope all their demands are met.

Blog Entries

12. Default Re: Streetcar

nm

13. Default Re: Streetcar

I mean it's a Tuesday night at 9:30pm. They expect it to be packed? Cmon man

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Aside from the bathroom breaks, most of the issues cited are the cities problem. It's not a good sign that the city is already neglecting maintenance and care of the streetcar system.

I’ve made my opinion of the streetcar well known and how much I dislike it. Either the city needs to come up with a plan to just remove it which won’t happen or hire a consultant to come up with a plan to improve it with funds from a regional transit tax initiative as this line could serve as a circulator for a transit system. Right now the thing is a joke and I can’t see why anyone would regularly use it given how slow it is.

If OKC just neglects it and let’s it slowly get worse and worse what an embarrassment that will be. If word starts getting around and the common perception across the city of this streetcar is that it’s a failure then that doesn’t bode well for people to vote yes for a regional transit initiative.

It seems like the they can do several things to speed this up.

Simply increase the speed to a safe speed.

Remove parallel parking and convert it bike lanes.

Run cars more frequently.

Close down certain streets and lanes to automobile traffic and allow only busses and the street to use it.

They should consider closing a couple streets the streetcar runs on entirely to cars and make it a pedestrian corridor only allowing bikes and busses along with the street to use it.

They should try it with Robinson from 12th to Sheridan, fourth from Hudson to Gaylord, and and 11th st in midtown from classen dr to Broadway. Close those street to cars, allow the streetcar to run faster, make it a bike, bus, pedestrian corridor supplementing the streetcar and boost ridership. That’s my suggestion anyways.

In the long term certain parts of this system need to be double tracked and it should be expanded on a grade separated alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    I mean it's a Tuesday night at 9:30pm. They expect it to be packed? Cmon man
    And in the middle of a pandemic, too.

Why are streetcar drivers under a separate private contractor? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to be city employees and \ or Embark employees? They'd be covered by the same benefits of other public works employees, and you'd have a bigger pool of transit drivers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Why are streetcar drivers under a separate private contractor? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to be city employees and \ or Embark employees? They'd be covered by the same benefits of other public works employees, and you'd have a bigger pool of transit drivers.
    My guess, having been in a union position on the BNSF, and the trolley is contracted out to Herzog, it’s all about wages, and or benefits. The non union Stillwater Central trainmen make considerably less wages, doing the same work. They should be city employees, and they deserve the right to have breaks.

Blog Entries

The Cincinnati Streetcar Will Be Free to Ride — Permanently — Starting Nov. 1
    https://www.citybeat.com/news/blog/2...starting-nov-1

20. Default Re: Streetcar

OKC's should be as well, at least in the downtown area; this should be part of Downtown OKC Inc assessment and/or the Alliance. Once we get routes outside of downtown, then trips O/D outside of downtown should charge a reasonable fare while inside should remain free.

Come on OKC.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    OKC's should be as well, at least in the downtown area; this should be part of Downtown OKC Inc assessment and/or the Alliance. Once we get routes outside of downtown, then trips O/D outside of downtown should charge a reasonable fare while inside should remain free.

Come on OKC.
    I hope it is never expanded, but yes it should be free.

Before COVID, I was a pretty avid rider. I would love for it to be free, but the cost is pretty nominal. My only complaint about the fee structure was that they really don't give you a break on the monthly pass if you pay for the monthly pass.

But ideally, as a usable thing, I think it does well circulating people around downtown. It'd help with tourism and conventions.

Blog Entries

They have at least two sales per year of 50% off passes. That's usually when I buy my annual. Next one coming up in December.

24. Default Re: Streetcar

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    They have at least two sales per year of 50% off passes. That's usually when I buy my annual. Next one coming up in December.
    November 29th is the next

Blog Entries

KC Streetcar gets $174 million federal grant, fully funding Main Street Extension
    The Kansas City Streetcar Authority has received a $174 million grant from the U.S.
    Department of Transportation, giving the agency full funding for its Main Street Extension project. KMBC-TV reports the grant is covers half the cost of the 3½-mile extension, which will take the line from its current endpoint at Kansas City Union Station to the University of Missouri-Kansas City. With all funding in hand, construction will begin in 2021, with completion expected by 2025.

Thread Information