Widgets Magazine
Page 368 of 383 FirstFirst ... 268318363364365366367368369370371372373 ... LastLast
Results 9,176 to 9,200 of 9575

Thread: Streetcar

Blog Entries

Default Re: Streetcar

There were ridership numbers shown at the COTPA meeting on Friday, I was on the virtual.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    There were ridership numbers shown at the COTPA meeting on Friday, I was on the virtual.
    Right, but they no longer put the comparison and trend charts in their agenda.

Blog Entries

Make it free for now until you build ridership; then revisit fares at a later date. Right now you don't want high ridership while we're dealing with Covid-19 and social distancing.

They have been mostly empty from what I can tell. The only exception I have seen is this past weekend when I think there was a car show of some sorts in the CCC. I still think the majority of riders are not paying.

I saw an announcement that the streetcar is free on Friday August 21.

i still say it should just be free forever. while i know that $2 doesn't seem like it would be a hassle, for some reason with my friends they always bring up that it's a hassle to have to get a ticket. and i think ridership all the time would be way up and it would actually be used much more if it were just free.

With no Thunder Games no Concerts no Baseball Games. I haven't been downtown since the Clippers game first week in March. I would almost hate the guess had bad the business are doing in bricktown. Maybe weekends they do ok but during the week it can't be good.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    With no Thunder Games no Concerts no Baseball Games. I haven't been downtown since the Clippers game first week in March. I would almost hate the guess had bad the business are doing in bricktown. Maybe weekends they do ok but during the week it can't be good.
    yup. the last time i was Downtown, Rudy Gobert was too

Blog Entries

That has actually existed for several months. I was beta testing it back in January.

Fantastic! Has a nice mobile friendly layout too.

Do the videoboards at the stops display the map?

Blog Entries

I don't believe so, or at least I haven't seen that, but IMO no reason they could't do it if desired.

That would be a great additional enhancement. Just need to be able to display web content on those screens and it seems likely that that is possible.

Are scooters still competion for the SC or have they disappeared?

scooters are (no hyperbole) EVERYWHERE

Other than the pandemic, scooters are 100% the biggest pain to the streetcar. And honestly, on nice days it isn't even close. This summer, I use a scooter probably 10 times a month, while I use the streetcar maybe once every other month (usually large group of people).

I honestly can't justify the cost of the scooters, I will just walk. But I will ride the streetcar...

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I honestly can't justify the cost of the scooters, I will just walk. But I will ride the streetcar...
    the scooters are really really cheap and fast

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the scooters are really really cheap and fast
    Don't get me wrong, I think they are fun to ride. And if I worked downtown I may see the justification to use them more.

I just don't understand why the scooters are banned from certain areas, but I could have a personal scooter in those areas with no issue.

The places they're banned are in high pedestrian areas. The scooters are supposed to be driven on the streets, but obviously people joyride them on sidewalks all the time - so the apps purposely slow the scooters to almost useless in these zones.

AFAIK, you cannot have a personal scooter on the same sidewalks. Even skateboards/longboards are banned from the Myriad Garden sidewalks.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    The places they're banned are in high pedestrian areas. The scooters are supposed to be driven on the streets, but obviously people joyride them on sidewalks all the time - so the apps purposely slow the scooters to almost useless in these zones.

AFAIK, you cannot have a personal scooter on the same sidewalks. Even skateboards/longboards are banned from the Myriad Garden sidewalks.
    If that is the case there is zero enforcement...

Scooters are supposed to operate on the street only. They are best utilized in designated bike lanes. When a city doesn't have bike lanes people are going to go up on the sidewalk to prevent getting run over.

People will complain when they are operated on the sidewalk. Those same people will complain when they get behind one in their car on the street. It's really a no-win situation for anyone riding scooters/bicycles.

The blame needs to fall on the city for not having bike lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    Reliable, frequent transit enhances property values. A rail in the ground does not make transit service permanent, just look at the original streetcar rails. Transit is about geometry and physics more than aesthetics.
    Funny enough, the city developed along the lines of the old Interurban system.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Right, at least for the foreseeable future.
    I play a game when I see the trolley during the day by guessing the number of riders. The most popular numbers are 0, 1, or 2.

Clearly a pandemic is not the time to be worried about transit numbers. But, the route really is confusing and time consuming. I don't blame the MAPS 3 subcommittee one bit, they were given a pile of bad choices by the consultant. I've personally met most, and am friends with a few, of the committee members and it seemed they were all less than thrilled with the choices they were given. It felt like most were wishing a more direct line had been presented, even if it ignored a few districts or areas. The consultant tried to do too much with too little, resulting in a fairly difficult to navigate, time consuming route. Disclaimer: those are my thoughts and words based on my experiences at the time, I am not speaking for or inferring anything for them.

Thread Information