Widgets Magazine
Page 354 of 383 FirstFirst ... 254304349350351352353354355356357358359 ... LastLast
Results 8,826 to 8,850 of 9575

Thread: Streetcar

Default Re: Streetcar

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I think we also have to look at the reality that moving to driver less cars will take quite a long transition. Unless the cars are extremely cheap people are going to continue to buy cheaper cars. In places like Oklahoma with low usage/amount of public transit, a car is a necessity for work.
    there also is the legal arguments that will need to be litigated that could take years regarding driver less cars... remember that AI still only does what it is inherently programmed to do, and those programming decisions will result in people wanting to blame the companies for those decisions. the example that i have heard several experts in the AI field and driverless car fields have used is the following

if a driver less car is presented with an immediate decision to either hit a baby in a stroller, or drive the car into a wall, which will it do? if the AI determines to hit the baby in the stroller to save the driver, the family of the baby will bring a suit, and is the company liable... if the AI determines to save the baby in the stroller and hits the wall and it kills the driver, the family of the driver will bring a suit, and is the company liable?

that is the piece with all of this AI tech that hasn't been properly discussed and legislated or litigated... and that will have to happen before driver less cars become mainstream... and since we are now involving city councils, state legislatures, us congress, and courts.... the process will take years, and probably many years...

the liability of these devices might even end up preventing them from becoming mainstream in my lifetime. we just don't know yet

As I've posted before about driverless cars, they need excellent infrastructure to operate - fully visible painted lane stripes, smooth(ish) streets, fully-operational traffic lights, etc. Given OKC's state of things regarding these, how long do you think it'll be before we get driverless cars here? Other cities are better, but there's still a lot of things that have to happen before driverless cars are anywhere close to being adopted by even 1% of the population. I doubt I'll be alive when it happens. I seriously doubt flying cars will happen in your lifetime, much less in 15 years, Panda.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    there also is the legal arguments that will need to be litigated that could take years regarding driver less cars... remember that AI still only does what it is inherently programmed to do, and those programming decisions will result in people wanting to blame the companies for those decisions. the example that i have heard several experts in the AI field and driverless car fields have used is the following

if a driver less car is presented with an immediate decision to either hit a baby in a stroller, or drive the car into a wall, which will it do? if the AI determines to hit the baby in the stroller to save the driver, the family of the baby will bring a suit, and is the company liable... if the AI determines to save the baby in the stroller and hits the wall and it kills the driver, the family of the driver will bring a suit, and is the company liable?

that is the piece with all of this AI tech that hasn't been properly discussed and legislated or litigated... and that will have to happen before driver less cars become mainstream... and since we are now involving city councils, state legislatures, us congress, and courts.... the process will take years, and probably many years...

the liability of these devices might even end up preventing them from becoming mainstream in my lifetime. we just don't know yet
    I agree. Say a dog runs out in front of a driverless car, and it has the choice of either 1) hit the dog, 2) swerve and hit the car next to it, or 3) swerve the other way and hit pedestrians on the sidewalk. What should it do? I think the correct response is probably to hit the dog. But what if it's not a dog? What if it's a little kid chasing a ball? Can the driverless car tell the difference between a little kid and a dog? Or between a baby stroller and a shopping cart?

I would bet significant amounts of money that driverless cars are at least 40 years away.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Just curious if anyone has done a study on the theoretical demand for mass trans in OKC and what that system actually looks like? To be used does access need to be a block away...2...10?
    Yep, multiple studies. Timeline of the most recent regional transit effort here: http://www.acogok.org/rta/
    http://www.gometro.org/fgp/
    http://www.acogok.org/commuter-corri...nsit-rail-mpo/
    http://www.acogok.org/wp-content/upl...-for-PRINT.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    I agree. Say a dog runs out in front of a driverless car, and it has the choice of either 1) hit the dog, 2) swerve and hit the car next to it, or 3) swerve the other way and hit pedestrians on the sidewalk. What should it do? I think the correct response is probably to hit the dog. But what if it's not a dog? What if it's a little kid chasing a ball? Can the driverless car tell the difference between a little kid and a dog? Or between a baby stroller and a shopping cart?

I would bet significant amounts of money that driverless cars are at least 40 years away.
    The car could decide to engage the automatic brake. This video is six years old and the technology is vastly improved since then. Watch at least the second half:

With a proper infrastructure of sensors and cameras, it may be possible to significantly reduce or even eliminate the dilemma. Let's hope so, at least.

What are the terms for the bet? Driverless cars are already a thing so presumably you mean mass adoption.

Whether or not driverless cars become mainstream, we still need to reduce our reliance on automobiles.

Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by ross maclochness View Post
    whether or not driverless cars become mainstream, we still need to reduce our reliance on automobiles.
    this!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Whether or not driverless cars become mainstream, we still need to reduce our reliance on automobiles.
    i disagree.

I-35 is going to be a problem 20 years from now.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    i-35 is a problem now.
    fify

Any updates on the streetcar? I really don't care about reading the same post over and over... driverless cars are years away...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

This.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Any updates on the streetcar? I really don't care about reading the same post over and over... driverless cars are years away...
    Agreed re let's not lose sleep over driver-less cars. This article came out literally two days ago. It's a long way off.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90374083...icles-what-now

Maybe we should make a separate thread for driver-less discussion. I follow that world closely.

If the Devon fiasco happened in June, then one can only imagine what those numbers might have been for that month. I will say that I am thrilled with the performance of the air conditioning systems thus far.

The Devon incident happened on May 15 and the Streetcar resumed service on May 21, per their Twitter.

Appreciated this “next stop” screen on the Expo Line in Los Angels today. Why don’t more streetcars have a screen like? It’s really helpful for new riders.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DB6EA372-CD66-465E-8247-120A23A3A463.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	15419

Agreed.

Also why is our streetcar route not on Google Maps yet? If you pick a destination somewhere along the route and pick walking or public transport, it has no idea the streetcar exists. It gives directions to tell you to go to bus stops.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Appreciated this “next stop” screen on the Expo Line in Los Angels today. Why don’t more streetcars have a screen like? It’s really helpful for new riders.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DB6EA372-CD66-465E-8247-120A23A3A463.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	15419

We will be installing Next Stop soon!

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    The Devon incident happened on May 15 and the Streetcar resumed service on May 21, per their Twitter.
    Who knows how much damage that did. I know we had hard costs that remain unresolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    We will be installing Next Stop soon!
    Nice!

22. Default Re: Streetcar

Surprised actually that OKC doesn't already have it, since we have brand new streetcars I'd presume they'd already have the modern tech built in.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Surprised actually that OKC doesn't already have it, since we have brand new streetcars I'd presume they'd already have the modern tech built in.
    We have the automated verbal announcements which are a integrated technology to the vehicle itself. Next Bus is a third party system contracted for separately and integrated into the broader EMBARK system.

24. Default Re: Streetcar

Yes, I understand about the online/mobile tracking and that it's third party.

But I mean the signage in the streetcar, indicating Next Stop is ___. Shouldn't that already be incorporated as well since the verbal are there? Just curious (expectation) since ours are brand spanking new.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Yes, I understand about the online/mobile tracking and that it's third party.

But I mean the signage in the streetcar, indicating Next Stop is ___. Shouldn't that already be incorporated as well since the verbal are there? Just curious (expectation) since ours are brand spanking new.
    I don’t know why it was delayed. All I know is that it is coming.

Thread Information