Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 383 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181964114 ... LastLast

Thread: Streetcar

Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer

I represent MAPS 3 transit and Regional Transit Dialogue as a citizen and campaigner.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishstick1979 View Post

Um, the election is over...

Anyway, The potential boulevard (if ODOT gets its act together) would be a great place for the streetcar and/or canal extension.

And thank God for it. But please do not mis-understand, campaigning for transit doesn't ever really end until the train is rolling down the tracks and breaks the big ribbon. There are always small battles of public and leadership education along the way.

It took a year of careful diplomacy and education to get such a progressive transit proposal on the ballot. It is my guess that it will be a minimum of five years before we see a streetcar on a street.

It may not be me leading the streetcar charge, but I encourage anyone who thinks that it ends with the December vote to remain engaged in the public process forthcoming. Designing a system from scratch is the opportunity of a lifetime for Oklahoma City.

Lets make sure that it is built in the best possible way- Jeff Bezdek

Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

Quote Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
    But how far out do you design a hub? There has to be compromise here regarding what you can afford and what you plan to offer in the next 20 years. I highly doubt all the lines (CRT or BRT) will be built in that time frame. Let's not get carried away with delusions of grandeur before we've even laid down the first track. Design a hub that is expandable. It doesn't need 12 platforms and 20 bus turnouts at first, just room for them when funds become available and ridership deems it necessary.

Also, is the AA even considering the Boulevard for an alignment? I don't see how it can when there is no foreseeable funding.
    Compromise is key. I think that the basic goal of this hub design is to be able to facilitate everything outlined in the Fixed Guideway Study. If the funds are available, obtaining the land for expansion as needed would be the smart and progressive pursuit.

Regarding the boulevard; it seems that the right people in the right places with the political will have set their sights on making sure that the boulevard get funded.

Technically it is an issue, but the pursuit for funding is underway.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC@heart View Post
    and then from Dallas it splits and one line goes up to OKC and then on to Tulsa where the High speed portion terminates.
    The HUB study undoubtedly should examine the possibilities of integrating future high speed into our future regional rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Thought you guys might like to see all the bridges that ruined the Pittsburgh waterfront.

I don't think the number of bridges has anything to do with it. It's the quality of the bridges. I don't think anyone would argue that the bridges in London or Paris over the Thames or Seine ruin the waterfront and they are at least that dense.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I don't think the number of bridges has anything to do with it. It's the quality of the bridges. I don't think anyone would argue that the bridges in London or Paris over the Thames or Seine ruin the waterfront and they are at least that dense.
    On this we can agree, but that wasn't Spatans complaint. He doesn't want any bridges - other than Western.

Which causes a bottleneck... which cuts off certain neighborhoods that used to be close to a crossing... which eventually creates ghettos in the way another physical barrier would (1-40 and the crosstown is an example)

Why destroy infrastructure? Didn't we recently have a record setting blizzard and ice storms in the past few years? Wouldn't that suck for you to be stranded a mile from Western and a block from where some other bridge USED to be!!! Imagine the hampered rescue efforts. Even in our downtown we regret cutting off Main Street between Robinson and Walker etc. Isn't the trend toward more connectivity and flow? We should embrace the grid... something London, Paris, and Pittsburgh don't have. Besides... we are talking about a ditch filled with water. It was hardly the Thames, Seine, Allegheny, or even the South Canadian... rivers that make sense to invest large amounts of money into a few quality bridges... the North Canadian only required a causeway.

One interesting thing about the high speed rail proposal from ODoT- the alignment is as such that it travels directly up the Adventure Train alignment and part of the Midwest/Tinker commuter proposal.

Any one of the three would necessitate constructing a "trestle" or ramp replacing the trestle that apparently "once was" directing East West rail traffic through Bricktown Southbound on the elevated BNSF line.

Such a trestle exists going Northbound next to "The Lofts" on Second Street in the Triangle.

The Transit Politic blog ranks OKC's move toward rail mass transit the #5 transit story of 2009 out of 51 stories.

The Transport Politic The Year’s Top Transit News – State by State

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    The Transit Politic blog ranks OKC's move toward rail mass transit the #5 transit story of 2009 out of 51 stories.

The Transport Politic The Year’s Top Transit News – State by State
    This is awesome for OKC!

AGENDA
    CENTRAL OKLAHOMA TRANSPORTATION AND PARKING AUTHORITY

DATE: January 8, 2010
    TIME: 9:00 A.M.
    PLACE: City Council Chambers, 200 North Walker, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73102

V. CONSENT DOCKET

B. Consideration of Approval of Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Association of
    Central Oklahoma Governments (ACOG) and the city of Oklahoma City for Conducting and
    Funding an Intermodal Transportation Hub Study

"It is my understanding that this was approved this morning as part of the consent docket." Jeff Bezdek

"It is my understanding that this was approved this morning as part of the consent docket." Jeff Bezdek [/QUOTE]

I apologize.. I'm confused.
    Who are you quoting?

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    AGENDA
    CENTRAL OKLAHOMA TRANSPORTATION AND PARKING AUTHORITY

DATE: January 8, 2010
    TIME: 9:00 A.M.
    PLACE: City Council Chambers, 200 North Walker, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73102

V. CONSENT DOCKET

B. Consideration of Approval of Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Association of
    Central Oklahoma Governments (ACOG) and the city of Oklahoma City for Conducting and
    Funding an Intermodal Transportation Hub Study

"It is my understanding that this was approved this morning as part of the consent docket." Jeff Bezdek
    Great news!

I'm glad they are moving forward with this. Urban Pioneer, thanks for all your hard work in getting the hub study in motion. I can't wait to see the final product.

- Fish

Quote Originally Posted by the hip View Post
    I apologize.. I'm confused.
    Who are you quoting?[/QUOTE]

Urban Pioneer is Jeff Bezdek, though I do not know why he quotes himself.

Sorry. I cut and pasted that from an e-mail on the fly. Missed the "quote". Lol. The I-phone scrolling on this site leaves something left to be desired when editing in the window.

Sorry. I cut and pasted that from an e-mail on the fly. Missed the "quote". Lol. The I-phone scrolling on this site leaves something left to be desired when editing in the window.
    What's the next step for you and other city transit experts/staff regarding this hub study and the Association of Central Oklahoma Government's involvement?

The I-phone scrolling on this site leaves something left to be desired when editing in the window.
    I sent an inquiry to mods about supporting the iPhone Tapatalk app or maybe adding an iPhone skin but have received no reply. Might not hurt for others to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishstick1979 View Post
    What's the next step for you and other city transit experts/staff regarding this hub study and the Association of Central Oklahoma Government's involvement?
    The next step is for the ACOG Board of Directors to approve moving ahead with the study now that the formal city commitments have been expressed/written.

Once that is approved a RFP will be created and sent out to transit enginnering firms to bid on the request. My guess is that they will get plenty of responses due to the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    I sent an inquiry to mods about supporting the iPhone Tapatalk app or maybe adding an iPhone skin but have received no reply. Might not hurt for others to ask.
    That would be nice but I'm not complaining. OKC talk is a private entity. I understand that it is more of a public service. Maybe they could reclaim their expenses through a "I-Phone" paid member enrollment.

...or you could just stop buying into the Apple hype and get a Windows Mobile based phone and see OKCTALK just fine. BTW - the new mobile NewsOK site looks really good.

Kerry, I can see fine. Its scrolling in the edit window that is a pain. Regarding Windows, I am definitely not a believer. We could discuss this further but I am sure there is probably another very lengthy thread somewhere on the subject. I can tell you though that changing both personal and business systems to Apple has saved me ungawdly amounts of money and mitigated daily head banging against the wall. If anything, your Windows needed the competition to motivate it to start cleaning up it's act.

That would be nice but I'm not complaining. OKC talk is a private entity. I understand that it is more of a public service. Maybe they could reclaim their expenses through a "I-Phone" paid member enrollment.
    Interesting response.

The Tapatalk plugin for vBulletin is free.

There is a free Tapatalk RO (read only) app for the iPhone. The full version is $2.99.

What's nice about it is that it is available for iPhone, Android, and Nokia phones and it supports multiple forums.

Tapatalk - iPhone Android Nokia forum app for vBulletin and phpBB

I think this is interesting. Because of the quantity of grants that are being released, I suspect our odds might be reasonable at getting some seed money.

All Aboard? Obama to Announce High-Speed Rail Grants - Washington Wire - WSJ

I think this is interesting. Because of the quantity of grants that are being released, I suspect our odds might be reasonable at getting some seed money.

All Aboard? Obama to Announce High-Speed Rail Grants - Washington Wire - WSJ
    Let's Just hope that our corridor is one of the to be announced 13 corridors! I would love to see federal money going to reinvest in our crumbling infrastructure. That is at least an investment in ourselves. It would also be great timing so that as they are studying the Intermodal Hub study they can coordinate that effort to work with the proposed HSR line that will move through OKC! What a great opportunity to do some really fantastic Icon for a rail station that will again get OKC noticed. Thinking something dramatic say of the order of a Calatrava sculptural building. Obviously his NYC Path station was for a subway system but nonetheless a great structure that communicates the HSR and its technology integrated with the thought of it being another form of first impression or gateway to the city.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calavatra NYC PATH exterior.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	392  

Nevermind I figured out my answer..
    Last edited by Watson410; 01-27-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Found answer

Thread Information