Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 383 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141560110 ... LastLast

Thread: Streetcar

Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

I think the transit hub would have to include city buses. I'm trying to think of an alternate use for that space in Midtown, but I'm sure there could be one. I would think that rental car space is unnecessary. People flying in can rent cars at the airport, and if you're coming in by train, surely those people would be more open to public transportation.

Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I think the transit hub would have to include city buses. I'm trying to think of an alternate use for that space in Midtown, but I'm sure there could be one. I would think that rental car space is unnecessary. People flying in can rent cars at the airport, and if you're coming in by train, surely those people would be more open to public transportation.
    What do you mean, those people?
    - Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder

LMAO

I dont think the streetcar hub has to be the transit hub of the future. Have the the streetcar hub be an effecient but small hub and then build a new large transit station (trains, lightrail, buses) south of existing I40 somewhere. Then just make sure the streetcar has a line that goes to the new transit station.

4. Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

I think this is planned to be THE hub.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I think the transit hub would have to include city buses. I'm trying to think of an alternate use for that space in Midtown, but I'm sure there could be one.
    OK - see if this is feasable. A new downtown transit hub would include city bus service. The existing hub, recently completed, becomes the new Greyhound Bus Station. The current Greyhound Bus station is sold and the project for that block can commence.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I dont think the streetcar hub has to be the transit hub of the future. Have the the streetcar hub be an effecient but small hub and then build a new large transit station (trains, lightrail, buses) south of existing I40 somewhere. Then just make sure the streetcar has a line that goes to the new transit station.
    No. This is not how it's going to be. There will be a universal hub connecting the streetcar to the commuter rail. It would make sense to connect to the buses as well, IMO.

Especially if we can somehow, magically, turn around our bus system..

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    OK - see if this is feasable. A new downtown transit hub would include city bus service. The existing hub, recently completed, becomes the new Greyhound Bus Station. The current Greyhound Bus station is sold and the project for that block can commence.
    I would just hate to see the Greyhound station get torn down. Or any buildings on that black for that matter.

When the Fixed Guideway Study was being completed, the turmoil of Union Station was at its peak and SanteFe was regarded as hard to convert. Therefore, the hub issue itself was somewhat glazed over.

What we have found out since is that SanteFe has an incredible opportunity that has been hidden. There is a tunnel running through it for pedestrians and stairwell platforms that have been buried.

The Hub Analysis Study that is being planned by ACOG will probably take a much closer technical look at the possibilities of SanteFe.

It will be interesting to see if the businesses in the loading docks stay or go.

10. Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

I would love for it to be at Santa Fe. The Brewers aren't adequately using it anyway.

Sounds perfect. Would go with restoration of Union Bus Station, as opposed to demolition, though.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

I could see the bus station being used as a very cool space for a little bodega or maybe a pizzeria or something.

It would be crazy to tear down the Greyhound bus station. That's a great space with a lot of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    A couple questions to ponder:

1) Should the transit hub include city buses despite the nearly brand new central bus station in Midtown?

2) Should the transit hub include space for rental car agencies?
    I say keep the city bus terminal, just make it a stop on the streetcar line. Although I also like the idea of making the current bus station the new Greyhound Bus station.

14. Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

I like Kerry's idea, but instead of just removing the Union bus station - we can keep it's facade and let the other urban development incorporate it.

I also disagree that we need the hub to be in the current CBD area.. There's no reason why the hub couldn't be in C2S somewhere, with the streetcar connecting it to the rest of downtown. After all, isn't the goal of this whole thing to get people using mass transit and AWAY from cars/busses/etc? Well, having the hub near the convention center ON the streetcar line accomplishes that and many many more.

And I completely agree that the current bus hub in midtown should become greyhound (but also be on the streetcar line). I think it would also be a good idea to have a car rental or two there or at Amtrak (like it used to be). The C2S main hub could be Commmuter Rail/HSR/light rail/streetcar/city bus intermodal facility (in other words, I don't think greyhound needs to be there).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

15. Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

I second David Pollard! Definitely exciting times for Oklahoma City, so PROUD of my hometown!!!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I think the best potential hub could in fact be Santa Fe. In ten year, when the convention center will probably be finished and operating, the land the Cox is on is plenty of space for a great urban transportation hub.

Here is an interesting proposal for a transit hub in Baltimore. Notice the similarities to the Santa Fe Station layout.

I think you are correct Platemaker. Santa Fe might be a cool building but it is way to small to function as a street car/commuter rail/bus hub. The Cox site however could do that easily. Keep in mind that the tracks and passenger platforms are only part of a hub operation. The site would also have to include office space for system operations, retail space (food service, florist, gift shop, sundry items, newsstand), traveler information and support, transit police office space, possible airport check in services, ground transportation (taxis, rental car, scooter/segway rental).

This is no time to think small. OKC has a chance to do what many other cities can't do; build a brand new city from the core out. It needs to be something like Victoria Station in London.

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    Here is an interesting proposal for a transit hub in Baltimore. Notice the similarities to the Santa Fe Station layout.

Platemaker - you are thinking to small. Dream big! That hub might do for a remote hub but not for downtown. The downtown hub has to be larger than life. Think "Old Penn Station" not "New Penn Station".

The city spent how many millions on the Performing Arts Center that get used a couple of time per week. Spend at least that much on a building that will be used daily.

Oh, I dream bigger! With the talk of the tunnels at Santa Fe being open on both sides of the elevated track I thought it interesting that this station straddles an elevated portion of track in a similar way. There would definitely need to be a grander vision adjacent.

The problem I see with Santa Fe is that it leave too much of the platform open to the elements. Nobody wants to wait on the platform for a train in 20 degree weather and a 30 mph wind. The only way to fix that would be to cover the area in glass. But then you have freight trains running through an enclosed building and those trains carrying some dangerous stuff.

[QUOTE=Kerry;284694]I think you are correct Platemaker. Santa Fe might be a cool building but it is way to small to function as a street car/commuter rail/bus hub. The Cox site however could do that easily. Keep in mind that the tracks and passenger platforms are only part of a hub operation. The site would also have to include office space for system operations, retail space (food service, florist, gift shop, sundry items, newsstand), traveler information and support, transit police office space, possible airport check in services, ground transportation (taxis, rental car, scooter/segway rental).

This idea is nothing short of brilliant!

To elaborate a bit, the Sante Fe Station can be artfully incorporated into the transportation hub that would take the place of the Cox Center; be it through a glass dome spanning the whole area (why not?) or via covered walk ways. A true mixed-use center as mentioned above and including a high-rise hotel would make this truly the center of the city and magnet for all of the downtown districts. I could even imagine sinking E.K.Gaylord (no pun intended) and making an above ground pedestrian zone all the way from the Sante Fe station to the Myriad Gardens and in the other direction via a tunnel under the tracks to Bricktown. Talk about opening up the city! Transportation, walkability, central focus tying into other major attractions and ongoing developments.

Getting excited about this again!

Nm

Thanks David. I failed to mention the hotel idea you brought up. Victoria Station does have a 300 room hotel attached.

The problem I see with Santa Fe is that it leave too much of the platform open to the elements. Nobody wants to wait on the platform for a train in 20 degree weather and a 30 mph wind. The only way to fix that would be to cover the area in glass. But then you have freight trains running through an enclosed building and those trains carrying some dangerous stuff.
    This is exactly like what i've been picturing. There are four sets of tracks at Santa Fe. Two to cover.... two for thru traffic.

Thread Information