Widgets Magazine
Page 45 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1279

Thread: Plaza District

Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I looked at that church when it was for sale a few years ago and fantasized about making it a live/workspace for me.

I'd still like to do that at some point and I've been looking hard at the area west of Classen and slightly north of Sheridan. I'd prefer something with a big, open interior space.
    I have no idea if it's for sale at all but you should try to get the old Greek Orthodox Church at NW 8 and Western. That is an awesome building!

2. Default Re: Plaza District

I looked at that church when it was for sale a few years ago and fantasized about making it a live/workspace for me.

I'd still like to do that at some point and I've been looking hard at the area west of Classen and slightly north of Sheridan. I'd prefer something with a big, open interior space.
    Pete,years ago when I lived in Houston, an acquaintance had a home in the Heights that was an old small converted church. The interior space was great for parties!

3. Default Re: Plaza District

Foundations are well underway.

Just south are some great renovated live/work units that are now for lease.

And on the SW corner, there are two apartment buildings; the north structure has been fully renovated and is quite nice. Renovation is in progress for the south building and the rents are cheaper there.

All owned by the Strubles and you can see more photos and lease info. here: https://www.180realtyok.com/all/residential

So much great infill happening in the core.

They put up a new sign with updated concept drawings. I like the new looks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0381.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	16884

4. Default Re: Plaza District

New shop opened this weekend next to Aurora.

Grinmore

Name:	IMG_0310.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	16885 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0311.JPG 
Views:	225 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	16886

5. Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    New shop opened this weekend next to Aurora.

Grinmore

Name:	IMG_0310.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	16885 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0311.JPG 
Views:	225 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	16886
    Well fortunately they don't have much cash tied up in inventory.

Blog Entries

yeah but how are they paying rent with some shoes, shirts, and hats?

7. Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    yeah but how are they paying rent with some shoes, shirts, and hats?
    They sell online as well. I am guessing they make enough online to pay their rent. I am sure they will get some TikTok influencers to spread the word.

Tell me you're old without telling me you're old.

9. Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Tell me you're old without telling me you're old.
    Right? The shop is actually a very pleasing place to walk into. It is not cluttered with throw-away inventory and your eyes can focus on the products the shop owner wants to highlight. I have no doubt this shop owner has a way of showing you everything you need with a tablet or telling you how to find them on your phone. We are at the beginning of a paradigm shift in shopping. We no longer want to walk into Dillards with a sea of overpriced lame styles.

Right? The shop is actually a very pleasing place to walk into. It is not cluttered with throw-away inventory and your eyes can focus on the products the shop owner wants to highlight. I have no doubt this shop owner has a way of showing you everything you need with a tablet or telling you how to find them on your phone. We are at the beginning of a paradigm shift in shopping. We no longer want to walk into Dillards with a sea of overpriced lame styles.
    You're telling me that the hallmark of shopping for the last 50+ years: walking into a store, finding just an amazing article of clothing, only to find they don't have it in your size...you're telling me that hallmark is going to....GO AWAY????

11. Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    You're telling me that the hallmark of shopping for the last 50+ years: walking into a store, finding just an amazing article of clothing, only to find they don't have it in your size...you're telling me that hallmark is going to....GO AWAY????
    My memory insists that there is an episode of Portlandia with a boutique that literally sells one specific sweater--as in a single size and only one in the whole store. But I have spent waaay too much time googling and couldn't find any trace. Maybe I dreamed?

The Blackwelder Cottages are now listed for pre-sale: https://www.redfin.com/OK/Oklahoma-C.../home/71749298

~2,000 sq ft for $460k

13. Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by riflesforwatie View Post
    The Blackwelder Cottages are now listed for pre-sale: https://www.redfin.com/OK/Oklahoma-C.../home/71749298

~2,000 sq ft for $460k
    Seems a tad high if you ask me, but what do I know. Not sure what demo they are looking to attract at that price.

Seems a tad high if you ask me, but what do I know. Not sure what demo they are looking to attract at that price.
    I can't speak to the quality in-person, but numerous properties in Classen Ten-Penn have sold for $225-245/sqft in the last 6 months. $234/sqft for new construction actually fits in with those numbers quite reasonably, I suspect.

15. Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    I can't speak to the quality in-person, but numerous properties in Classen Ten-Penn have sold for $225-245/sqft in the last 6 months. $234/sqft for new construction actually fits in with those numbers quite reasonably, I suspect.
    I know the quality will be worth the money, I just feel there is a certain demographic that lives in this area and interacts with the plaza district that will in no way be able to afford a home at that price.

I know the quality will be worth the money, I just feel there is a certain demographic that lives in this area and interacts with the plaza district that will in no way be able to afford a home at that price.
    This is pretty much just what it costs to buy within walking distance to the plaza now.

Gentrification

18. Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    This is pretty much just what it costs to buy within walking distance to the plaza now.
    Then I guess we should just count on this being the new norm in Ten Penn. I understood it for Gatewood, but even 16th street has a 1.8 million dollar home on one side and boarded up vacant for years no lawn mowed, and trash everywhere, on the other side. I actually really like the idea of these smaller homes that are close together and community green space that is shareable with Neighbors. Just wish it was in my price range.

Quote Originally Posted by riflesforwatie View Post

~2,000 sq ft for $460k
    LOL. This used to be murderer's row at one time -- and the Flaming Lips compound as well.

Blog Entries

did the lips move?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    did the lips move?
    Pretty sure only Wayne still lives around there, not sure if the others even still live in OKC anymore.

There are certainly differences between renting and buying but I did want to defend this development in the sense that there are both somewhat affordable and very affordable apartments close by. As Pete pointed out, the Native Lands apartments across the street (owned/managed by the same developer) range from $550/month in the older building to $1000/month in the renovated building. And just a block away at NW 12 and Gatewood are the Gatewood Manor apartments, which are in rough shape but rent for $450/month. At least for the time being, this area is the very definition of a mix of income levels and affordability. Now whether those conditions will remain in place long-term I can't say.

23. Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Pretty sure only Wayne still lives around there, not sure if the others even still live in OKC anymore.
    All of them live in OKC. Even Michael moved back to OKC a couple of years ago after probably close to 20 years in the Cincinnati area.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    AFAIK, only Michael Ivins lives outside of OKC (Northern Kentucky last I heard). Wayne, Steven and Derek Brown all live in OKC.

25. Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    AFAIK, only Michael Ivins lives outside of OKC (Northern Kentucky last I heard). Wayne, Steven and Derek Brown all live in OKC.
    soonerguru, Michael moved back to OKC a couple of years ago after a lot of years in the place you mention, the Cincinnati/northern Kentucky area. I’ve had a few conversations with him when running into him at shows, or at places like the Homeland on 18th haha.

You’re right about the rest of them (I think Steven may live in Edmond now, at least the last I heard) and also Matt Duckworth and Nicholas Ley (both drummers) are in OKC. Nick teaches at ACM@UCO. Derek Brown, who you mentioned, is also at ACM as the manager of their business development center. I had a business meeting with Derek just this past week.

I’m not sure where Jake Ingalls (Spaceface) lives,. He’s a Memphis guy, so he might be the lone exception.

These guys are still in OKC and every one of them contributes to the community in some way. We’re fortunate to have them.. And Wayne still lives in Classen-Ten-Penn. I doubt he’ll ever leave. He’s pretty deeply embedded, with a full studio on site among other things.

His across the street neighbor, Tyrone Meade of Chainsaw Kittens and Defenestration fame is in the process of moving back to China, however.

Thread Information