Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Plaza District

Default Re: Plaza District

Braum's recently bought the property immediately west and then someone with Braum's contacts confirmed it was to rebuild/expand that location as they have done with many of their older buildings.

I asked the store manager of it and he wasn't even aware. Not surprised though. I imagine this is at least in 2013 plans, if not further out. He said he wasn't surprised, and that Braums often buys property years in advance before.

Here is the rumor that I have heard :

Braum's plans to start rebuild Classen store in 2013, but they Really want to build at nw corner of 16th & Classen. This is the vacant mexican restaurant not owned by Braum's, they would like to buy if priced right. The property to the west was purchased by Braum's and they immediately cleared both buildings.

They would rather build at 16th but now that they have more room at current location plans may change. Braum's 2012 const schedule has been announced and the Classen store was not on that list, new list for 2013 would come out at the end of this year.

4. Default Re: Plaza District

Interesting. Makes sense.

Skyline, that's what I've heard, and from good sources too. Also, I heard they may be building a new store around SW 3rd or 4th and Western, just off the new I-40 to replace the old one off Agnew. Supposively they traded SNU some land for this site.

6. Default Re: Plaza District

The current Braum's creates an enviable vista termination driving south on Classen. I drive down that stretch often, and every time I do I crave ice cream. If I were in Braum's marketing department and had any say in the matter, I'd encourage the real estate people to rebuild close to the street (either on the same spot or closer) rather than create a new large setback and parking fronting Classen. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The current Braum's creates an enviable vista termination driving south on Classen. I drive down that stretch often, and every time I do I crave ice cream. If I were in Braum's marketing department and had any say in the matter, I'd encourage the real estate people to rebuild close to the street (either on the same spot or closer) rather than create a new large setback and parking fronting Classen. Just my two cents.
    i agree and i have the same thought often driving south on classen ... if/when braum's rebuilds that location to the "new" look it will be a great for the area

I turned down the marketing director position at Braums last year, but from what I get from them, their marketing minds don't have much creativity or control. Braums seems like a very suburban, mom and pop logistical type company.

Braum's seems stuck in a time warp, although I'm a moderate fan of their recently improved stores. At least they're not as dirty as the old ones. The groceries are decent but I think they could actually roll out more local and organic products in their stores and not miss a beat. They do have the worst customer service on the planet, however, if they ever screw up your order. Forget about getting your money back.
    ''

Well said guru

Free Coffee this coming Monday! Cafe Evoke coffee bar...come have a sip and meet the Plaza community! 7:30-9:30 Mon Feb 6th, 1755 NW 16th

Thanks metro!

That's some good progress and will really make a difference in the area. Hope they are successful and others follow suit.

Default Re: The Plaza District Development

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay Architect View Post
    Does anyone know the history of the plaza disctict? It's kind of all to itself if I'm thinking of the right area.
    I know I'm quite behind here on chiming in, but I am new to the board and just recently visited the Plaza District. I am amazed at the transformation from what it was 25 years ago. Here's my recollection of what it looked like in the mid-80s.

The anchor to the whole area was the strip on the NE corner of 16th and Indiana. At the end nearest Indiana was a pawn shop, and a bar directly behind it (facing Indiana). Next door to the pawn shop was an Asian grocery store (16th Street Market?). Back then, they were the primary competitors to Cao Nguyen (now Super Cao Nguyen), but went out of business at some point in the late 80s/early 90s. Next door to that was a pool hall, which attracted a lot of thugs/gang members. Also in that strip closer toward Gatewood was a comic book store that I can't remember the name.

On the NW corner of Indiana and 16th was a grocery store called Country Boy, or something along those lines. I guess that might the same as what some of you remember as Humpty Dumpty or TG&Y; I'm not certain which one it was formerly.

On the SW Corner was a motorcycle repair shop, I believe.

Directly across from the pool hall was a coin laundry place, which I could have sworn was still there as of recently. Maybe not though.

That's the bulk of what I can remember from my childhood. I remember coming back as an adult, and seeing the place was pretty run down with a few Hispanic type businesses. Just thought I would chime in b/c it brought back a lot of nostalgia. Pretty happy to see the area thriving!

The history of the plaza district is that it was the last stop on the city's trolley system for quite some time. Thus it evolved into a shopping center of sorts as neighborhoods grew northward but the trolley tracks didn't. The trolley system was based off of Classen. Here is some more info:http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2007/09...ys-part-1.html

16. Default Re: Plaza District

Come out to LIVE on the Plaza tonight!

http://www.plazadistrict.org/category/live/

I went last night, it was hopping. I'd argue it's the most urban district in OKC. It has a dense, walkable area with tons of street life and the most diverse retail options of things to do. Clothing, home decor, tattoos, restaurants, bar, hair salon, Lyric Theatre, art studios, urban church with live music and coffee (Parish), wine bar, pub, and more, plus they had Waffle Champion and Big Truck Tacos out there. Even during the week, I see more street life here than any other district. Not to mention all the lively characters and diversity, as well as people on bicycles as a form of transportation.

The Plaza District is very underrated and should continue to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    The Plaza District is very underrated and should continue to grow.
    Yeah, I was in town a couple of months back and went to the Plaza. Very surprised to see how it has evolved over the years. We went to Saints Pub, and it was packed. Definitely an eclectic crowd out there.

I've heard the wine bar is super cheap, so you all can find me there when I'm back in town..

21. Default Re: Plaza District

good to hear, I'll have to check it out next time Im in the city!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post

This project has not moved on the outside in over a month.

Great new business coming to 1751 NW 16th, Innovative Spaces, doing kitchen & bath design work.

Must be affiliated with this location in suburban Denver as the web address is shown in the rendering:

http://innovativespaces.com/

24. Default Re: Plaza District

It is great to see the Plaza District take off. Oklahoma City has found a niche in revitalizing the historic areas of the community. In addition we have the Midtown area taking hold and the Uptown area is starting to move along. All are local neighborhood communities and are a great part of OKC's renaissance. Hopefully these are just the beginning.

Pretty sure that place is already open. Saw it last Friday at the art walk.

Thread Information