Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Plaza District

1. Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I don't want to derail this thead into a discussion of home security but I was wondering if your motion detectors are able to tell the difference between a person walking up to your house or a dog or cat. I would hate to be woke up in the middle of the night because some animal decided to visit.
    Like a home security motion sensor - it depends on how you hang it (I like to hand them no lower than 4'). It detects motion in a wide horizontal radius, and not so much in a vertical one. Don't recall any dogs setting them off, but a wasp started making a nest in one and it drove me nuts until I realized what was happening and sprayed the sensor with wasp kill.

Plaza District Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    The church is around 20th is it not (straight North and a bit West of Blackwelder)? Certainly much closer to the Plaza and nicer than 15th, but I do see where it would still be street by street and house by house. Mostly two stories in that area isn't it?
    The church is between 18th and 19th and Virginia and Kentucky (north and west of Blackwelder as you said). I believe all of the homes that immediately surround the church are two stories, but there are plenty of one story houses within a block or so, especially to the west and north. It's about a two-block walk from the area around the church to the Plaza District. A couple of blocks to the east on Carey Place most of the houses are two stories as well.

Like I said earlier, some really great pockets and areas within Gatewood and the area around it, but there is such a disparity on some parts of the neighborhood that looking for homes really is a block by block effort, as it can make a huge difference in who your neighbors will be and how gentrified the area has become.

Default Re: Plaza District

I moved into Gatewood a little over a year ago and love it.

I live on 22nd very near Penn, so Im on the outer corner and probably see more foot traffic from students and random bums, but have never had a bad encounter with them. Ive more trouble from the kids down the street playing in the street in the dark than I have from anything or anyone else.

Yes, south of 16th is sketch, but honestly, the north end of Mesta if sketch, and thats always a premium spot to say you live in the core.

No one on our street has had any issues with crime, even living so close to 23rd and penn, with all its random traffic through the area. Its a great area to walk a dog and run, as my wife and I do daily. We see tons of other in the neighborhood doing the same. If you run south of 16th, you'll even get some good motivation from the random dogs that aren't leashed.

The fact is that no neighborhood is going to be without crime. Gatewood has a pretty involved group of people living in it, and working towards making it a premier place to live. I wouldn't want to move back into Mesta now, I just love the diversity and the progress over here in Plaza.

My wife and I just moved to Carey Place, and just as you were saying OSUPetersson, I have never seen so much foot traffic in a neighborhood in my life. Every day there are, no joke, nearly 100 people that walk down the street, most of which walking their dog or with their children.

Having said that, my father in law is a disabled vet and lives south of 16th off Indiana and it is a much different vibe just a few blocks from us. Also, my wife is an OKC police officer and said that is one of the highest crime rates and one of the highest areas for gang activity in the city.

Before we lived within walking distance I refused to park south of 16th.

Gatewood is on the up and up, the entire neighborhood is dedicated to making it one of the best in the city. A long influx of 20 somethings are moving in all the time. Just like my wife and I, we are young and completely remodeling the house and hoping many other in the area continue to do the same.

Plaza District Re: Plaza District

For those interested, apologies for the late notice:

State of the Plaza
    Wednesday, Feb 20th, 6:00pm
    PhotoArt Studios 1738 NW 16th Street

Plaza District Reflects on Progress, Looks Forward to 2013

The Plaza District Association is pleased to host the first annual State of the Plaza, an update on district progress over the past year, and a look forward for what’s ahead in the district for 2013.
    Attendees will hear from a panel of Plaza District investors, business owners, and staff. The panel includes:

* Aimee Ahpeatone and Steve Mason, Sweet Sixteenth LLC
    * Darcy Schein & Leslie Coale-Mossman, Pie Junkie
    * Dylan and Amanda Bradway, DNA Galleries
    * Joey Morris, Cody Rowan, John Harris, The Mule
    * Kristen Vails, Executive Director

Refreshments include a tasting of Pie Junkie pies, wine provided by Urban Wineworks and beer provided by COOP Aleworks.

The event is open to all Friends of the Plaza, a patronage program of the Plaza District Association. Friends of the Plaza volunteer, patronize Plaza businesses, and promote the revitalization of the District. Those interested in becoming a Friend of the Plaza can sign up at the event. Becoming a Friend of the Plaza is only $40, and Friends receive invitations to special events, grand openings, volunteer opportunities as well as Plaza District Tshirts, tote bags and stickers.

For more information, visit Support « Plaza DistrictPlaza District

6. Default Re: Plaza District

My wife and I and our daughter moved into a flat on Gatewood Ave. between 16th and 17th in 2010. We rent right now (a nice flat in a hot location at below the going rate in the area), but we are looking to buy in the next couple of years. We like the area and we would prefer a home nearby.

Gatewood: Like it has been said before, Gatewood is a block-by-block proposition. I have generally found the best streets are between Classen & Douglas from 19th to 22nd, between Carey Place and Virginia from 17th to 19th, and between Indiana and Penn from 20th to 22nd. There are some interesting, large houses along 16th east of the Plaza as well. These are the areas where I would consider purchasing a home.

Classen-Ten-Penn: There are some great homes scattered throughout the neighborhood, but they are on terrible streets and surrounded by dilapidated properties. If you were to purchase in this area, you would need to be OK with being a pioneer and having a long-term investment. The best (or maybe I should say least dilapidated) street I have found is 11th between Klein & Western. Western in this area has some potential with the Istvan Gallery as a starting point. However, make no mistake, this area has a significant homeless/crazy population. The best hope for Classen-Ten-Penn is someone who will redevelop this neighborhood in entire blocks at a time. While some homes can be rehabilitated, there are many that have deteriorated to the point of no return and need to be demolished and replaced. Not to be negative, but a few renovated homes and a couple of urban pioneers is not going to create the momentum this neighborhood needs.

Crime: Since we are near the the borderline between Gatewood and C-T-P, we get the occasional folks drifting north of 16th and knocking on my door and going through my trashcans, but nothing particulary scary. I work in Midtown and my wife stays home with our now 3 kids during the day and she never feels threatened or scared. The only incidents I have seen is the occasional petty theft or somebody getting their car window smashed because they left their GPS on the dashboard. But that is true with any neighborhood. There are some interesting folks that frequent the area, but they are 99% harmless.

I am amazed with the progress the area has made in just the last 2 1/2 years we have lived here. We love the Plaza and all the activity it generates. The diversity is stunning from an economic standpoint. Since there is a significant amount of existing housing in the area, it is possible for people of all walks of life to live in close proximity to each other and participate in the revival. IMO, the Plaza/Gatewood/C-T-P is the closest thing to a true, urban neighborhood in this city.

The information you guys have provided thus far has been extremely helpful. It's amazing how much knowledge this group has. Thank you. Keep it coming, if anyone has more to add.

8. Default Re: Plaza District

I live at 12th n Penn in the Youngs - Englewood district. A ton of my friends have been moving into the area and also south of 16th.

This whole discussion makes me wonder how long it will be until most residential in the Urban Core is valued at $125/sq.ft. or more (by today's currency value). I feel like there is so much momentum in the urban core that even the rougher areas could catch up pretty quickly. I'm sure it's well over 10 years away, but I think 20 to 30 years is reasonable. 23rd, The Plaza, Paseo, Western Ave all need to continue (or even boost) their momentum to accomplish this, but a couple major developments and a combination of homeowners and committed investors could move the progress along really quickly.

I'd be interested to hear from people who really know just how far the residential areas of the Urban Core have come in the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by tillyato View Post
    Like I said earlier, some really great pockets and areas within Gatewood and the area around it, but there is such a disparity on some parts of the neighborhood that looking for homes really is a block by block effort, as it can make a huge difference in who your neighbors will be and how gentrified the area has become.
    I think this is true of all of the neighborhoods surrounding the Plaza, and probably in general for urban neighborhoods.

I live, work and my life pretty much revolves around the neighborhood and I completely agree. I live at 15th & Youngs and drive west down 15th street every day. There are actually quite a few lovely renovations happening west of the Plaza that I've noticed in the last 6 months. While I'm not sure how quickly the entire neighborhood will transform, looking at the neighborhood block by block is best. Living at 15th and Youngs, just west of Plaza is the same story. I love my block, but south and west of my block can be pretty sketchy. I've never had an issue with crime, and feel comfortable as a female living alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    This whole discussion makes me wonder how long it will be until most residential in the Urban Core is valued at $125/sq.ft. or more (by today's currency value). I feel like there is so much momentum in the urban core that even the rougher areas could catch up pretty quickly. I'm sure it's well over 10 years away, but I think 20 to 30 years is reasonable. 23rd, The Plaza, Paseo, Western Ave all need to continue (or even boost) their momentum to accomplish this, but a couple major developments and a combination of homeowners and committed investors could move the progress along really quickly.

I'd be interested to hear from people who really know just how far the residential areas of the Urban Core have come in the last 10 years.
    The entire inner northwest side--the areas south and east of 44, north of the river, and west of 235--reminds me a lot of the Inner Loop in Houston. This used to be a mostly rough area as recently as 15 years ago, but now its very exclusive. The big thing there is traffic is so god awful in Houston, it makes urban living a much better alternative than commuting. Lot of folks live in the inner loop who you wouldn't associate with urban living just because of the commuting issue, and most end up liking it. We have no similar traffic issue to woo suburbanites.

But we do have a lot of people moving here from other parts of the country who are more comfortable with the thought of living in the city than your average Okie. Also, there are a lot of people in my generation (20's and early 30's) who are--GASP--delaying marriage and/or kids. Also, you have older people whose kids have moved out, or divorced people who decide to not remarry. It certainly goes against the Oklahoma zeitgeist of getting married and popping out kids, but running to the suburbs and getting in a good school district is not as important to these folks. In my corner in midtown the changes have been immense in the past 2.5 years I've lived there. If the local economy keeps up I think you will start to see something similar to the inner loop here in 10-15 years.

FWIW I really applaud people with families who are living in the urban core, because I know as it stands now it is not an easy decision.

Antojitos Guatemalen in the Plaza District is expanding.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	578163_10151522831365831_1424950246_n.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	3488

From their FB page:

Our hidden gem will longer be hidden come 2014! Antojitos Guatemaltecos will expand it's restaurant into the entire building! We are excited about their expansion and look forward to enjoying that patio! Antojitos Guatemaltecos - Inner City Northside - Oklahoma City | Urbanspoon

Glad to see this project moving forward, especially since it's such a high-profile corner.

I had posted the plans and renderings over a year ago.

It looks as though the Plaza district has completely failed OKC:

Discover the 10 Least Hipster Cities in the Country

The Ten Least Hipster Cities

1. El Paso, TX
    2. Jacksonville, FL
    3. Fort Worth, TX
    4. Oklahoma City, OK
    I propose we gather at saints to toast (with obscure micro-brews) to the valiant effort that was known as "Plaza District".

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisJ View Post

I propose we gather at saints to toast (with obscure micro-brews) to the valiant effort that was known as "Plaza District".
    Interesting that "Just the Facts" lives in #2 and has an unhealthy obsession with #4. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Interesting that "Just the Facts" lives in #2 and has an unhealthy obsession with #4. Coincidence?
    He grew up in Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    He grew up in Oklahoma.
    I jest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Glad to see this project moving forward, especially since it's such a high-profile corner.

I had posted the plans and renderings over a year ago.
    LOL. I must have missed it, but it must have died for awhile, as they just announced it on FB today.

Here are all the images I posted when this came through design review in April last year:

I can only do so much by myself.

***BTW, can we get a bicycle emoticon?***

I know plenty of people in Austin who would give up the hipster invasion that has happened there, especially this week (SXSW).

New lingerie shop coming to the Plaza District:

https://www.facebook.com/TheRuffLifeOKC

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    LOL. You have to go where the problems are. What good would it do if I spent all my effort on places that don't have a problem? As for my OKC connection - it is my adopted hometown. Nearly all of family lives in the OKC metro area.

24. Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    New lingerie shop coming to the Plaza District:

https://www.facebook.com/TheRuffLifeOKC
    They could have saved some money and just bought the old canine boutique sign when they went out of business and used it as their own...... "Chasing Tail"

25. Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    They could have saved some money and just bought the old canine boutique sign when they went out of business and used it as their own...... "Chasing Tail"
    *rimshot*

Thread Information