Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MAPS 3 Passes!!!

Default MAPS 3 Passes!!!

MAPS 3 passes with 54.3% of vote
    From Staff Reports Comments 97
    Published: December 8, 2009

The polls have closed for voting on the $777 million MAPS 3 proposal and early returns are in from 271 of 271 precincts:

Yes: 40,956 (54.3%) | No: 34,465 (45.7%)

Earlier in the day, Oklahoma County Election Board secretary Doug Sanderson reported that the turnout had been moderate to steady.

If voters approve MAPS 3, the city will build numerous projects. The three biggest pieces of the plan are a new convention center, a 70-acre downtown park and a downtown streetcar system and transit hub. Also included in MAPS 3 is money for Oklahoma River improvements, State Fair Park, senior aquatic wellness centers, citywide biking and pedestrian trails and sidewalks.

The plan would extend a 1-cent sales tax currently paying for Ford Center improvements. The tax, set to expire March 31, would be extended for seven years and nine months.

Read more: NewsOK

Default Re: MAPS 3 Passes!!!

Do we have a fireworks smiley? I'm finally ready to see them. And, I have to be a wee bit mean just this one time and say that I hope iron is watching from afar. It's never wise to be too sure of oneself.

That is great...I am very excited. Mayor Cornett should be commended for his efforts.

Whether you were for it or against it, I think any reasonable person should hope that it's the same positive impact that the past ones have been.

Quote Originally Posted by betts
    Do we have a fireworks smiley? I'm finally ready to see them. And, I have to be a wee bit mean just this one time and say that I hope iron is watching from afar. It's never wise to be too sure of oneself.

No: 34,465 (45.7%)

sure a lot of union goons in this city

So who is ready for MAPS 4?

10. Default Re: MAPS 3 Passes!!!

Hooray!!!

I am really looking forward to all the progress we will make in the coming years. I hope the city can get the plans in place for the streetcar and do the track work as they do the streetscaping for the Devon TIF, being efficient and saving some money as they go. Maybe we can have the streetcar within the next 3-5 years? I know it's a short time frame, so if they can't do it, I guess I'll wait patiently!

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    No: 34,465 (45.7%)

sure a lot of union goons in this city
    Not sure I'd put it that way. I think many of the no voters are the classic "no tax, ever" voters, the same people who elect the extremist Republicans to the State House and Senate. I don't think they'd normally be in line with a Union guy. The unions were for Maps 1 and it had almost the same margin...

Congrats and I sincerely hope all of the wonderful promises made are kept.

Yup, same margin as MAPS 1: 54% yes, 46% no.

I am so proud of my city. Way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    So who is ready for MAPS 4?
    If they pull off MAPS 3 like they did the other two, I can't wait to see what's in store for us next!

It is very exciting to think that within the next decade this city will be undergoing such a major and lasting change. Kudos to the dreamers who made this possible. This is truly an exciting time to live in OKC.

My hometown continues to make me proud!

I think the next 10 years will be better than the last 10, and that's saying something.

This is another proud day in the life of Oklahoma City, my home town! Glad we're not going to remain stagnant, but we're going to continue the momentum and continue the renaissance.

Awesome news

Yay! Keep OKC moving foward!!

Thanks, Pete for letting us have a place to share our thoughts and hopes and gripes to fellow OKCitians. If nothing else we were the best informed voters in the city. Probably the best informed everything about our city.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    Thanks, Pete for letting us have a place to share our thoughts and hopes and gripes to fellow OKCitians. If nothing else we were the best informed voters in the city. Probably the best informed everything about our city.
    My thoughts exactly.

Congratulations, everybody!

To continue from Kerry....it's the bottom of the 9th, and OKC is up to the plate. Voters hit a grand slam and win the series!

23. Default Re: MAPS 3 Passes!!!

Thanks to all who voted yes!

"You have chosen... wisely."
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

hopefully this has Steve working overtime for a while.

Yyyyaaaaaayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information