Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AHL Attendance? OKC will fill the void!

Blog Entries

Default AHL Attendance? OKC will fill the void!

I was looking at the AHL attendance figures and if Oklahoma City is starved for ice-hockey after a one-year hiatus; we should be among the AHL attendance leaders.

AHL Attendance December 5:

intotheboards.net Minor pro Hockey news and Information

AMERICAN HOCKEY LEAGUE - ATTENDANCE

Team Games
    Att.
    Avg.

Hershey 12 109,033 9,086
    Manitoba 16 115,774 7,236
    Grand Rapids 13 86,331 6,641
    WB/Scranton 11 69,012 6,274
    Chicago 14 83,395 5,957
    Providence 13 69,008 5,308
    Houston 13 74,570 5,736
    Lake Erie 15 74,884 4,992
    Texas 12 61,588 5,132
    Syracuse 11 51,787 4,708
    Manchester 14 63,822 4,559
    Hamilton 10 47,869 4,787
    San Antonio 13 57,316 4,409
    Portland 12 46,106 3,842
    Adirondack 12 57,270 4,773
    Bridgeport 16 60,361 3,773
    Peoria 15 58,413 3,894
    Rochester 11 42,414 3,856
    Milwaukee 9 36,259 4,029
    Binghamton 13 46,774 3,598
    Abbotsford 13 45,364 3,490
    Albany 15 50,513 3,368
    Hartford 11 37,489 3,408
    Rockford 14 46,698 3,336
    Norfolk 9 29,156 3,240
    Springfield 13 41,443 3,188
    Toronto 13 39,602 3,046
    Worcester 13 40,369 3,105
    Lowell 14 25,160 1,797
    TOTALS 370 1,667,780 4,509

Question(?):

Are we getting the Springfield franchise -Or- a dormant Edmond team?

2. Default Re: AHL Attendance? OKC will fill the void!

will they still be called the Blazers?

Default Re: AHL Attendance? OKC will fill the void!

Quote Originally Posted by LIL_WAYNE_2012_PREZIDENT View Post
    will they still be called the Blazers?
    Since Bob Funk is a major investor, then my guess is yes. Even if he wasn't, the Blazers name would probably stay.

Why would they keep the Blazers name if the whole reason for folding the CHL team was to get a (still minor league but) "real" hockey team? If the Blazers weren't good enough for people when they were here, why keep the name association?

Because the "Blazers" is the traditional OKC team name and was a long, long time ago. The only time that I don't remember it being Blazers was when they were a Minnesota North Stars farm team (still in the old CHL) and they named the OKC team the Stars. It was just never right. I think an appropriates city team name is better than a copy of the parent name.

I've heard the Edmondton deal is definitely going to happen from an individual who seems to think he knows, but we certainly aren't hearing any news about it.

Millie....

Just to add a little bit to what is already being stated, the original 'Blazers' of the pre-1967 NHL expansion days was one of the best minor league teams of all time. Most of the players from those teams went on to long NHL careers with goaltenders Bernie Parent and Gerry Cheevers eventually being inducted into the Hall of Fame in Toronto.

Renaming the team to something like the 'Rampage' or 'Ice Okies' or some such silliness would really insult the long history of hockey in this city. Other teams, such as the Fort Wayne Komets and Peoria Rivermen, have bounced from league to league, level to level over the years and retained the historical team name.

Keep it traditional....keep it 'Blazers'.

Lord Helmet Guest

If this happens i hope they go with the old colors. The red just never looked right to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Millie View Post
    Why would they keep the Blazers name if the whole reason for folding the CHL team was to get a (still minor league but) "real" hockey team? If the Blazers weren't good enough for people when they were here, why keep the name association?

It didn't have anything to do with the Blazers (namesake); more to do with the quality of players in the league and the CHL was labeling itself as double-A brand. Too many times I went to games and saw players miss open nets from point blank range; also, some stupid passes across ice that were intercepted.

You could market the name Blazers much better than you can come up with a new name.

Remember, Oklahoma City is not a hockeytown but a Blazertown!

This one year hiatus will be great for the return of hockey to Oklahoma City and at the Cox Convention Center (Myriad) where it will be ideal for crowds ranging from 6,000 - 11,0000.

I would predict that the Blazers will average 8,000 - 10,000 upon their return.

The name of the club has changed...Hate to be annoying but I can't say what it is...I have mortgage payments

Blog Entries

If they decide to rename the team--that will be OK.

There are some great potential cities for rivalries--Houston, San Antonio, Milwaukee, Chicago, Toronto (also in NBA with OKC) and Texas (Austin)--former CHL city.

I still predict that there is a strong possibility that the AHL will be relocating some franchbises to Tulsa, Wichita (new arena under construction) and Kansas City.
    Last edited by Laramie; 12-13-2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: correct sentence structure...

Does anyone know if the Cox Center renovations were passed today?

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan4Life View Post
    Does anyone know if the Cox Center renovations were passed today?
    Here you go:

NewsOK

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Millie View Post
    because the blazers logo kicks ass. hockey is all about the kick ass jersey logos and the fights the players get into. the game itself is only the secondary nature for fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by decepticobra View Post
    because the blazers logo kicks ass. hockey is all about the kick ass jersey logos and the fights the players get into. the game itself is only the secondary nature for fandom.
    I guess if you think a crudely drawn logo of a capitol dome "kicks ass (that shows the lack of quality of your grammar)," then more power to you. Frankly, it is horrible.

I don't know about all this- the core of this team would be this year's Springfield (Mass) Falcons, and they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth View Post
    I guess if you think a crudely drawn logo of a capitol dome "kicks ass (that shows the lack of quality of your grammar)," then more power to you. Frankly, it is horrible.
    I think most of us are referring to the older Blazers logos, not the "Funk era" logos which seemed to change every few years. The last few were pretty bad and too busy, the color change was bad as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I think most of us are referring to the older Blazers logos, not the "Funk era" logos which seemed to change every few years. The last few were pretty bad and too busy, the color change was bad as well.
    Then they should have said the former logos.

I was about to say....it's been a few years since you've been to a game if you think the Blazers are still using the some logo. It's the nature of the minor league beast to change logos and looks every few years ($$$$$).

I mean, I've never liked the new OSU flaming brand logo and prison jump suit orange uniforms.....but I don't think we should change the Cowboys name or quit attending football games.

I'll be happy as long as the name isn't the IceDawgz

Quote Originally Posted by smooth View Post
    Then they should have said the former logos.
    Like Poke said, they haven't used the dome logo in several years. Lately they've been using the stylized 'B', which looks identical to the old Cleveland Barons logo. I thought the more recent 'traditional' jerseys were pretty sharp (traditional as opposed to the occasional alternate or holiday jersey).

I'd like to see them keep the name, but will support hockey's return even if it's the Ice Bison, or whatever.

Thank you for bringing up the Cleveland Barons....a classic example of a team with great tradition that have since changed their name to....are you ready.....the Lake Erie Monsters! Pathetic.

They took on the Rochester Americans last night....a team founded in 1956...with some very classic uni's this year. Talk about throwback.

Can't wait for the AHL to get here.

OKC Roughnecks???

25. Default Re: AHL Attendance? OKC will fill the void!

Quote Originally Posted by SweetNSourPoke View Post

I mean, I've never liked the new OSU flaming brand logo and prison jump suit orange uniforms.....but I don't think we should change the Cowboys name or quit attending football games.
    while i was watching a game earlier this year i noticed they had gotten rid of the flames. i wonder when that happened?

Thread Information