Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: AHL Attendance? OKC will fill the void!

Default Re: AHL Attendance? OKC will fill the void!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhawg View Post
    Don't all traditions have to start somewhere? Why not start a new one?
    Or we could go all the way back to the pre-60's Blazers OKC Warriors name.

But let me ask this......in regards to the average, know-nothing, walk up fan....does it really make a huge difference in drawing fans? If a person doesn't particularly like hockey, it won't matter. You can stick the 83-84 Edmonton Oilers out there and some will still think the sport sucks.

Question....did it really make any difference when the Oklahoma Wranglers became the Oklahoma YardDawgs? Good Lord, no. It's still arena football, as far as I'm concerned. From one level to the next, who can tell? The name and league change did not draw me as a non-fan.

Question....if the NBA had chosen the name Oklahoma City Cavalry rather than the Thunder, would that have led you to believe the product was substandard?

Quote Originally Posted by SweetNSourPoke View Post
    But let me ask this......in regards to the average, know-nothing, walk up fan....does it really make a huge difference in drawing fans? If a person doesn't particularly like hockey, it won't matter. You can stick the 83-84 Edmonton Oilers out there and some will still think the sport sucks.

Question....did it really make any difference when the Oklahoma Wranglers became the Oklahoma YardDawgs? Good Lord, no. It's still arena football, as far as I'm concerned. From one level to the next, who can tell? The name and league change did not draw me as a non-fan.

Question....if the NBA had chosen the name Oklahoma City Cavalry rather than the Thunder, would that have led you to believe the product was substandard?
    Your point is valid, that most of the time names don't often make or break a team that's entering a new market. However, some names can be very detrimental to the success of a team's popularity.

If there was a previous team that wasn't popular or even hated then choosing that name for a new team would be a bad idea. If you're trying to re-energize hockey fans, IMO a new name is critical. Now I'm not saying that The Blazers were not popular or even hated....I'm simply making a point about naming.

For the know nothing fan the name is virtually meaningless. However even know nothing fans usually have heard of The Blazers because they were here for so long. It would be very easy for them to assume that it's the same kind of hockey and therefore dismiss even going to a game.

Does anybody know what the ticket prices will be or do I need a lesson in common sense to ask this? *LOL*

5. Default Re: AHL Attendance? OKC will fill the void!

Season ticket prices are here - OKC AHL Ticket Prices

I believe reg season tickets will be 20%-30% more.

Thanks... appreciated

7. Default Re: AHL Attendance? OKC will fill the void!

I meant regular single game tickets will be 20-30% more...

It's monday...

For a comparison here are the prices for the Texas Stars which started up in the AHL this year here in the Austin area.

Full season tickets range from $500-1,600, the savings over single game tickets range from $88-500: Texas Stars Hockey - Full Season Packages

Single game tickets range from $9-50: Texas Stars Hockey - Single Game Tickets

The parent club Dallas Stars single game tickets range from $14-139, season tickets range from $499.00-6,171.60.

9. Default Re: AHL Attendance? OKC will fill the void!

Quote Originally Posted by SweetNSourPoke View Post

The wranglers didnt become the yarddawgs again those are two different teams

So, whats your take on the AHL in OKC. Do you think hockey in okc will draw maximum crowds or leave some seats empty. Im sure it will be successful here.

Im not a basketball fan at all, and the thunder have been a success so far, theres always a sports franchise that may move in time. Being born and raised in Los Angeles, it has shocked me that there still is no NFL team there after 15 yrs, however there is Big talk of the Jags or Bills possibly relocate there.

So even though the thunder have been successful to this point, I hope the city embraces the AHL with large audiances and support, just as it has so far for the thunder.

emw, OKC has always supported hockey well. this last year was the first time we didn't have a team in about 20 years, and it was only because we were transitioning leagues.

I think that it will be successful, that I wouldn't be a surprise if they move to the Ford Center in the near future, also I hope that some of the games will be broadcast on Fox Sports Oklahoma.

I am eager to find out what the schedule looks like. Im sure were gonna have lotta games against the Houston Aeros, Texas Stars, and San Antonio Rampage among others.

It has gone over pretty well here and the Austin Ice Bats never drew much of a crowd. The Cedar Park Center is pretty nice from what I have heard, it holds around 6,800 for hockey. They are in the AHL Western Conference Final this season against Hamilton.

Are you referring to the Texas Stars, yes I have been following the AHL playoffs and Im hoping to see the stars get to the finals, down 2 to 1 as of today in the series. I know they are gonna be a formidable rival in the coming seasons for the Barons.

BTW, when will the season schedules be released, im assuming some time over the summer.

I'm planning on going to a few games, and I didn't go to Blazers' games. I know other people who are planning to do the same who didn't go to Blazers' games, so I suspect that if the Blazers fans don't stay home in protest the team will do well. I like hockey live, but am a much bigger basketball fan, so it will never be more than an occasional thing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by emw1973 View Post
    Are you referring to the Texas Stars, yes I have been following the AHL playoffs and Im hoping to see the stars get to the finals, down 2 to 1 as of today in the series. I know they are gonna be a formidable rival in the coming seasons for the Barons.

BTW, when will the season schedules be released, im assuming some time over the summer.
    Yep, the Texas Stars...they won the game last night in OT. They have even had some pretty good coverage on the local sports down here. The parent club even sent one of the young phenoms (Jamie Benn) down here for the playoffs after the NHL season was over and he has done well.

Thread Information