Widgets Magazine

Thread: Ghost town in Moore

Default Ghost town in Moore

I have wondered for a long time what happend to the neighborhood at the corner of 12th and Sunnylane. The neighborhood is called Cleveland Heights. There are some streets and a few houses there still. There are powerlines running through the whole area. I checked the County Assessor's website and they have most of the lots, even the ones with 12th street frontage assessed at $250. I though maybe someone had bought up most of the lots, but no one owns very many. Many people own only 1 empty lot. The city of Moore even owns a few lots.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Default Re: Ghost town in Moore

my mom's a realtor and she once shared this story with me...

the story is that this was going to be a development in (i think) the late 60's. the developer set up roads, power lines, etc. however, the city of moore wouldn't play ball with water/sewer and (i think) zoning. as much as it was probably good 'ole boy politics i think the reason given was that moore didn't have sufficient water resources to supply a new subdivision. so... the whole thing fell through and the land sits relatively empty to this day.

-M

Couldn't something be done about it today? This could be expensive realestate. It backs up agaisnt the $1,000,000 homes in Olde Stonebridge.

check out the cleveland county assessor's site. i'd imagine the problem is that the land is already subdivided into lots... these lots have various owners. generally, i'd think that a developer would prefer to buy a large tract of land and subdivide it himself.

-M

The Cleveland Heights subdivision was developed during the early sixties at a time when the building boom of moore came to a halt. The developer couldn't sell the lots and eventually went bankrupt. The REA was in a hurry to beat OGE to serve the development and rushed in and installed its overhead power lines, which are in bad shape today. A few of the lots were sold to subcontractors but very few houses were ever built.

That section of Olde Stonebridge doesn't have city water/sewage as well. I've driven through the area and wondered the same thing. Its kinda creepy when some toothless man pops up out from the bushes and just stares at you while your in your truck on that dirt road. heehee

Wow, I drive along 12th and Sunnylane almost twice a day. I never knew any neighborhood even existed at that location.

Daniel

Thread Information