Widgets Magazine

Thread: Barnes & Noble

Default Barnes & Noble

When does Edmond get a Barnes & Noble or even better Borders?

Default Re: Barnes & Noble

This has been discussed before...but....

The one at Memorial & May is pretty close to Edmond and since a lot of residents of Edmond go to Quail Springs Mall, it's in the same block.

I would imagine Edmond will never get one if the plans never go through to build that shopping center/outdoor mall on Covell Rd. & I-35. That's the only place I see them putting one "in Edmond".

As previously discussed - until people from Edmond decide it is too much of a pain to go to Memorial & Penn (I hate going over there), they won't build stuff in Edmond that exists there. I am very excited by the influx of independent coffee shops though.

What about the one in the Nigh Center on UCO's campus? Or does it only sell uni books?

The store in the university center is simply that a college bookstore, they do sell various covers and the general public can go in there and buy them but its main purpose is to sell college textbooks, and various UCO related items. It is a very small store in comparison to a regular barnes and noble... also any barnes and noble gift cards do not work in the college book stores

No question about it....Edmond needs one....STAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethrol View Post
    No question about it....Edmond needs one....STAT.
    Won't happen.

Well, it better happen.

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    As previously discussed - until people from Edmond decide it is too much of a pain to go to Memorial & Penn (I hate going over there), they won't build stuff in Edmond that exists there. I am very excited by the influx of independent coffee shops though.
    It's really quite simple. B&N is at May and Memorial. Just drive 150th over to May and go down to the drive that's between Johnnies and B&N and you're there. You don't even have to deal with that crappy intersection!

Quote Originally Posted by sacolton View Post
    Well, it better happen.
    This is why everyone thinks nothing but yuppies live in Edmond. I know better though cause I was raised there. You can drive your Mercedes that much further, lol.

10. Default Re: Barnes & Noble

It won't happen. Let me say that twice. Both companies are in a race toward bankruptcy. It's about as likely as seeing a new Blockbuster store open. I don't like saying this. I don't like this being the truth.

Alas..printed books are dead meat. Even the so-called coffee table books...

I will always remember the heyday of the great remainder shops on Park Avenue around Broadway in NYC...and the omnipotent Strand Bookstore in that area...the hard copy is a goner--the future is all LCD...and I love books and have thousands here...

13. Default Re: Barnes & Noble

Hell no! Not going to let that one go. Nope, nope, nope. You curse my day job to absolute hell, now you're cursing my side gig as well? I predict terrorists kill the Internet and books and newspaper thrive once again and a new era begins where newspaper writers and book authors are .... still grossly underpaid and overworked.

Journalism degree..."ticket to poverty"--we used to say in the 1970's...

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    Alas..printed books are dead meat. Even the so-called coffee table books...
    Overly simplistic.

It is a boutique market now...collectibles...specialties...check out the figures yourself--don't take my word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Overly simplistic.
    I agree...I don't see Libraries disappearing anytime soon (thankfully). But Edmond isn't going to get a bookstore like that - heck, Edmond can't even get a decent movie theater.

Thread Information