Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conan O'Brien Pokes Fun at OKC

Default Conan O'Brien Pokes Fun at OKC

I was on Hulu and came across this clip from The Tonight Show. I am not sure when this was, but it is just further reasoning why I am not fan of Conan. Hulu - The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien: Everyone Works In Oklahoma City!

Default Re: Conan O'Brien Pokes Fun at OKC

Its a joke! C'mon, lighten up. Him saying Oklahoma has a high employment rate on the Tonight Show is publicity you can't buy!

You're just further reasoning why we need more people in this city with a sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetNSourPoke View Post
    You're just further reasoning why we need more people in this city with a sense of humor.

LOL I thought it was funny, it's just a joke!

dang - you find that offensive? To me its even funnier because i don't think OKC is known for hookers, and dumpster divers - he could have come up with something more realistic and it may have hurt more i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    dang - you find that offensive? To me its even funnier because i don't think OKC is known for hookers, and dumpster divers - he could have come up with something more realistic and it may have hurt more i suppose.
    who knew Conan and Brian Bates partied?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    who knew Conan and Brian Bates partied?

Yeah he could have been a lot rougher - he basically just did a comedy bit that doesn't make fun of OKC at all...

And the official spoke with a realistic Oklahoma accent, too.

I'm so dern offended, I could just pert near spit nails.

thats a funny clip, good okc name drop too.

Go back and watch the last three or four seconds. The fact that the PR man and hooker walk right in front of Conan shows that the joke is on him as much as anyone in OKC.

I don't find that the least bit funny. Just another way for outsiders to take the stereotype and say "see, I told you they were all rednecks."

VERY bad publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth View Post
    I don't find that the least bit funny. Just another way for outsiders to take the stereotype and say "see, I told you they were all rednecks."

VERY bad publicity.
    What is redneck about that skit? people need to lighten up.

Yeah he could have been a lot rougher - he basically just did a comedy bit that doesn't make fun of OKC at all...
    He had some jokes about Newark NJ a few weeks ago, which were pretty funny.

Hulu - The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien: Mayor of Newark Bans Conan

Jokes are made about all cities at one time or another. No big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by jstanthrnme View Post
    He had some jokes about Newark NJ a few weeks ago, which were pretty funny.

Hulu - The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien: Mayor of Newark Bans Conan

True - ended up getting the city a lot of publicity as well as a huge donation to the mayor's charity...so sounds like Mick needs to get on the ball and ban Conan from OKC ...he's probably too busy pushing maps though.

That was too funny, not disrespectful at all. Loosen up

All he is doing is trying to get a "FREE" trip and vacation to OKC out of the Chamber..lol

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    That was too funny, not disrespectful at all. Loosen up
    Anytime someone makes Oklahoma City look like a bunch of hick rednecks, it's disrespectful. We are trying to change that stereotype, not compound it.

1st we need to get rid of people like Sally Kern to overcome the Oklahoman stereotype.

22. Default Re: Conan O'Brien Pokes Fun at OKC

Stereotypes are there for a reason. You want us to talk with more nasal and be cosmopolitan like New York? Got a lot of work to do.

Local Oklahomans and companies probably push the stereotype more than Conan and any other person out there though. Why not complain about Oklahoma Farm Bureau insurance? Jude, Jody and Sons? Cattlemens? How about all the people the local news puts on air? How about the local media just in general? While I will say that a lot of them are plain spoken with a more Midwest/Great Lakes accent (in other words, not really one at all)...you have folks like Linda and Robin that have a pretty thick Okie accent.

Is it bad? No. It is just who Oklahomans are. Many of us transplants don't really care about it, we'll shrug it off and move on. We can probably come up with dozens of things to make fun of the areas where we were raised. People will come here regardless if the cost of living is low, well paying jobs are plenty, and the community is safe and inviting. Eventually you become numb or immune to all this stereotypical garbage or retarded politicians that are stuck in the 1930s way of thinking. For the most part, whatever Sally Kern or whomever spews about...doesn't impact me. Yeah it can be upsetting, but it doesn't stop my daily routine or cause me to change things up. I'm going way off on a tangent now, but I'll wrap it up saying people give too much weight to comics, politicians, etc on just how much impact they have on your daily life. I watched the skit, laughed, found it some what entertaining, and then moved on and haven't given it any other thought.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth View Post
    Anytime someone makes Oklahoma City look like a bunch of hick rednecks, it's disrespectful. We are trying to change that stereotype, not compound it.
    I still don't see what was redneckish at all about that - the hookers? The dumpster divers? It was a very generic bit and its pretty sad if you think it makes okc look bad.

24. Default Re: Conan O'Brien Pokes Fun at OKC

I still don't see what was redneckish at all about that - the hookers? The dumpster divers? It was a very generic bit and its pretty sad if you think it makes okc look bad.
    The only thing I could tell would be the southern accent and cowboy tie thing. OH NOES!!!!

Wait wait wait......so a TV personality makes a joke about OKC. We have one of the best economies and lowest unemployment rates. Doesn't look like people are thinking we're a buncha backass rednecks. To me, the joke is on HIM. California is almost bankrupt. I was in LA a few years ago, it ain't that great. The entire city is covered in spray paint, and the traffic makes I-40 look like a country road.

Now on the flip side, if the joke was talking about Lincoln Nebraska, and something about a corn shuker. We would all think this was hysterical.

Thread Information