Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Devon Construction Cam

Default Re: Devon Tower Construction Cam!

As I walked passed the notorious white van on Friday, I noticed it belongs to the Journal Record. The new camera is awesome! 100x better than the last camera.

#1 sign you're not quite accustomed to a major bldg. going up in DT -

you check out the devoncam (right side of image) and instead of a red crane your first thought is how da hades did someone tag the whole side of that bldg.

Note to self - get a nap in this afternoon

MadMonk Guest

LOL, I've caught myself being briefly fooled by that as well.

MadMonk Guest

Oooh, Christmas lights in the park already.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post

We now have a camera set up in the Oklahoma Tower.

The image is updated every minute. You may need to refresh your browser to see the most recent version. This will be a fatantastic vantage point once the structure starts rising from the ground.

Hopefully people will continue to post detailed images on the other Devon Tower thread and perhaps we can get more cameras up in the future.
    Is the sitework shown the hole for the podium, rotunda, or tower?

wow. all this brouhaha over a new office building. apparently skyscrapers are supposed to be some sort of symbolically phallic structure used for the sole bragging rights to other cities that "ours is bigger than yours".

Is the sitework shown the hole for the podium, rotunda, or tower?
    The tower will be located south of the east parking garage -- the one on the left of the photo. It will be close to the street (Sheridan).

The rotunda will be centered between the two garages and set back from Sheridan. The podium will be built in front (south) of the west parking garage once it is expanded to 10 levels, then the park will be between the rotunda, podium and Sheridan.

Quote Originally Posted by decepticobra View Post
    wow. all this brouhaha over a new office building. apparently skyscrapers are supposed to be some sort of symbolically phallic structure used for the sole bragging rights to other cities that "ours is bigger than yours".
    This is not going to be a measly skyscraper. Its going to be the World Headquarters for Devon!! This is the first skyscraper in more than 30 years that is being built downtown and yes, it just so happens to be a VERY "symbolically phallic structure."

Not to mention about 50 some odd stories tall. ~75% taller than the tallest building in our skyline.

10. Default Re: Devon Tower Construction Cam!

Doesn't even dignify a response.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    Not to mention about 50 some odd stories tall. ~75% taller than the tallest building in our skyline.
    id be happier if Devon instead decided to build 2 or 3 structures of equivalent size and height that still surpasses the currently tallest skyscraper downtown.

I mean, look at what they have planned, its mammoth! So large that it looks displaced existing alongside all the other much smaller buildings.

The only remaining question is how much longer will OKC have to wait before yet another structure of similiar size is built to accompany the Devon Tower so that our downtown skyline looks more visually sound to the eyes.

id be happier if Devon instead decided to build 2 or 3 structures of equivalent size and height that still surpasses the currently tallest skyscraper downtown.

I mean, look at what they have planned, its mammoth! So large that it looks displaced existing alongside all the other much smaller buildings.

The only remaining question is how much longer will OKC have to wait before yet another structure of similiar size is built to accompany the Devon Tower so that our downtown skyline looks more visually sound to the eyes.
    Hush, don't talk bad about Devon or you shalt be silenced.

While it might make you happier, my understanding is Devon purposely designed the property so that there would be plenty of public space included inviting the public to enjoy the grounds as well as Devon employees. Mr. Nichols could have just put up 2 or 3 structures like you say and built them right up to the curb and blocked out the public just like most other office buildings downtown but instead wanted the public to be able to use part of the property as well. So the way I see it, the design was to invite the public to enjoy part of the grounds and be able to still accomodate all their future growth of employees. To me that's a win-win solution.

Quote Originally Posted by okcmomentum View Post
    While it might make you happier, my understanding is Devon purposely designed the property so that there would be plenty of public space included inviting the public to enjoy the grounds as well as Devon employees. Mr. Nichols could have just put up 2 or 3 structures like you say and built them right up to the curb and blocked out the public just like most other office buildings downtown but instead wanted the public to be able to use part of the property as well. So the way I see it, the design was to invite the public to enjoy part of the grounds and be able to still accomodate all their future growth of employees. To me that's a win-win solution.
    I hope we have a holiday in his honor.

Well, the PD wants to add 300 bodies or thereabouts, and the rest of city services apparently are short on peeps, and the county says a new jail is needed, and with all this extra activity, the city might need to revamp its own court system into more space, so who knows?

Maybe a 38 story special Oklahoma City/County Government Services Tower can spring up and up and up.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Maybe a 38 story special Oklahoma City/County Government Services Tower can spring up and up and up.
    Just what we need...more bureaucrats.

I'm sure in a few years we might get another announcement for a building, probably not as tall as the Devon tower, maybe 30-45 stories or something. Never know. The future I think is bright for Oklahoma City, lets just keep taxes and unemployment low and I think we will continue to grow.

Remember, this is a World HQ - In order to get another building this size, we need another Fortune 500 to move their World HQ or at least USA HQ to OKC (assuming the company is much larger than Devon).

With that said, let's put the wishful thinking aside and get one building done before we start arguing over the next one, which is nothing more than electrostatic charges inside our armchair brains.

17. Default Re: Devon Tower Construction Cam!

What so magical about 2 tall buildings instead of one that suddenly make it acceptable for you???
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    I hope we have a holiday in his honor.
    I'd just be happy with cheap public parking for those of us who have to pay out of our own pockets. They could call it Larryville Car Tower.

Sorry to dredge up the past but what's up with that white van again? It's just chillin, in the middle of the night!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Sorry to dredge up the past but what's up with that white van again? It's just chillin, in the middle of the night!
    Isn't that the space they use when they tie up the mayor and reprogram him to make sure he stays on script?

hmm.. thats odd.. how long has it been parked there?

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101 View Post
    I'd just be happy with cheap public parking for those of us who have to pay out of our own pockets. They could call it Larryville Car Tower.
    Don't bring up parking on here either Lauri - you're just being petty and frivolous - the skyscraper for one company is much more important than parking for all the other companies as well as the public services downtown - didn't you learn that before?

The white van is a delivery van for the Journal Record.

24. Default Re: Devon Tower Construction Cam!

You guys do know that when the Devon employees move into their newly-built building and parking garage, they will be vacating an equal number of parking spaces elsewhere in downtown, right? You do know that they are already officing downtown, and it's not like a new business is moving down here and taking up a bunch of new spaces, right? You do know that they are actually building many, many new spaces, and although they are consolidating their parking into one building they are actually creating a NET ADDITION to downtown's parking availability, right? RIGHT?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    You guys do know that when the Devon employees move into their newly-built building and parking garage, they will be vacating an equal number of parking spaces elsewhere in downtown, right? You do know that they are already officing downtown, and it's not like a new business is moving down here and taking up a bunch of new spaces, right? You do know that they are actually building many, many new spaces, and although they are consolidating their parking into one building they are actually creating a NET ADDITION to downtown's parking availability, right? RIGHT?

oooh whoopee - Devon is vacating space on the other side of town - hallelujah! Thanks Devon, we should thank you for that - taking away the spaces most near public services such as a Library, County Court, City Hall, and vacating spaces on the other side of town - you are the best company ever!

I will say the City takes a lot of blame on this too. They essentially built a garage for Devon. Anyway, forget about it - I don't want to take away from the construction cam - it is very interesting to watch. I know that 99% of the people on here seem to want "progress" at any cost - so I know it does no good to suggest people take a step back and look at things from another angle.

Thread Information