Widgets Magazine

Thread: Where did John Flick go?

Default Where did John Flick go?

Does anyone know where John Flick is going? Yesterday was his last day at Channel 5 and they just said something like "he is moving on" without saying where he was going or what he was going to do. I'm just curious!

Default Re: Where did John Flick go?

wow, another person leaving KOCO!

OKC tv stations go through on air talent like a hooker goes though johns.
    I wished the Ogles would just f''ing leave.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwise View Post
    As does every other news cast in America.

I wished the Ogles would just f''ing leave.
    nature of the business, man.

Yes but they get a real reporter and then they leave...i feel cheated

Lol

Here in the DC area it is pretty stable on local channels but we've actually seen a few ex-Oklahomans come through a few times. I wonder if the bigger markets poach from markets like OKC.

No its usually the OKC market which shoot themselves and letting talent go or purposely run them off.

Yes but they get a real reporter and then they leave...i feel cheated
    Seriously. What is it with KOCO? They've gotten rid of some really good people in the past few years: Tierney Cook, Aaron Tuttle, Maggie Carlo, Tyler Suiters, Kimberley Lohman, and now John Flick. WTF? Please don't tell me Jessica Schambach is next.

I guess my question is - where did those folks go? Did they head for greener pastures with better money/exposure or because they got canned or treated badly?

12. Default Re: Where did John Flick go?

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    I guess my question is - where did those folks go? Did they head for greener pastures with better money/exposure or because they got canned or treated badly?
    I get the feeling, just from a lot of clues I've seen in the past, that it's just not a fun place to work. I base that in part on the fact that I once saw a Facebook page dedicated to people that used to work at KOCO, and the tone of it seemed like it was pretty awful to work there.

It was by invitation only too, which told me that they were trying to keep their complaints to themselves. You know a place is bad when "support groups" spring up to handle the post traumatic stress of working there.

Conversely, NEWS 9 must be a pretty good employer, because Jennifer Pierce has come back multiple times. (Thank you God!)

It's the nature of the industry folks, people are constantly trying to move up to bigger markets and make more money, eventually hoping to become a national anchor. Very few people like staying in their home market to raise a family, although we do get more of those than some other markets. I don't know why you folks are shocked, it's just the nature of biz.

14. Default Re: Where did John Flick go?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    It's the nature of the industry folks, people are constantly trying to move up to bigger markets and make more money, eventually hoping to become a national anchor. Very few people like staying in their home market to raise a family, although we do get more of those than some other markets. I don't know why you folks are shocked, it's just the nature of biz.
    I think people are shocked because KOCO seems to have a disproportionate number of losses over the past two years. I haven't done a count among stations, but it seems like a while back an ex-employee of KOCO gave us a list that was huge! When it smells like a rat, and you see rat droppings everywhere, perhaps you have a rat infestation. ;-)

Personally I just think KOCO has better talent on average and other markets know this and come in and offer more. Most tv journalists for small markets like ours work for peanuts.

I heard EVIL things about KOCO, and the NBC folks on 4 a lesser extant.
    But damnit AT, and Tyler...btw damn fine disc golfers...and of course my game was soooooo off that day...damnit..lol

It does seem like KOCO has more turnover. I can appreciate that people leave for larger markets and more money. But OKC must be a top 50 market, so there should be limited opportunities for advancement, I would think. And there does seem to be plenty of talent available. It seems like KWTV and KFOR have pursued stability in their prime time newscasts. I can only assume that KOCO pays less for these positions. What is KOCO's claim? "Top rated ABC affiliate in the country", or something like that? Of course, John Flick has the early morning shift, so, he probably has more opportunities to move up. Also, KOCO used to have a noon newscast that John Flick anchored. Surely they didn't reduce his salary when they eliminated the newscast?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCLifer View Post
    Also, KOCO used to have a noon newscast that John Flick anchored. Surely they didn't reduce his salary when they eliminated the newscast?
    I bet they did. Contracts are always drafted to protect the production not the talent, so I'm sure they paid him less and he couldn't get out until his contract was up.

KOCO used to be third in the ratings behind 9 and 4 for years. I do not know where they stand now. KOCO has been owned by out-of-state companies for a long time. Channel 9 is still owned by the Griffin family of Muskogee and 4 and 9 seem to use more locally grown talent than 5. 4 and 9's people appear to stay around longer than 5. 5 is the only station of the three that does not have an Ogle. Some may see this as a good thing. All of these things may influence 5's revolving door of talent.

Bigray in Ok

Thread Information