Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Stoops favors home and home with OU/Texas

Default Bob Stoops favors home and home with OU/Texas

I like many of the commenters on NewsOK, think this should be home and home too, it's too much of an economic boon not to, not to mention, it brings Texans to our state spending money, instead of vice versa. Some of them may even change their perception of Oklahoma and come back and visit outside gameday.

Default Re: Bob Stoops favors home and home with OU/Texas

Three cheers for Coach Stoops. I will be at the Cotton Bowl on Saturday but hate going there. By the way, I will sell my two tickets for five hundred bucks if anyone is interested and watch the game on television.

My vote if I had one would be for the game to stay as is at fair park in Dallas. The OU-Texas game is special for a reason. Lets keep it that way. Having 3,000-5,000 Texans come to Norman for 1 day or 1 weekend (every other year) probably wouldnt be much of an economic boon for the state.

hell no

playing in the cotton bowl in the middle of the fair is the greatest game in all of college football. if the game moves anywhere else, it will lose all of the special qualities it has now

No it won't, it will be nothing more than another home game every other year and the associated economic impact of a regular home game is all that it would be. It would lose it's unique and special quality that these type of games have. Want to see what it is like? You get about the same number of UT fans in the stands as you do Aggie (the real ones) fans for a game. You would never get a split stadium, there is no way current season ticket holders at either school would stand losing their seats to the opposition for that game and most Whorn fans that I know would not travel twice the distance to go every year, I do know most would be interested in going once. Many of them only go up on Saturday morning and come home right after the game, they don't make a weekend of it like Sooners do.

The economic impact that the DFW area gets from the game would not translate to OKC or Austin, it is ridiculous to think so.

When Bob Stoops wins a BCS game, that's when I'll start giving a **** what he thinks.

Until then, see you in Dallas, "Big Game" Bob.

7. Default Re: Bob Stoops favors home and home with OU/Texas

Even college athletics has deteriorated into a nothing but money concern. Sad.

MadMonk Guest

I have to throw in my "No" vote as well.

count me as a 'no'... the game's tradition is more valuable than one weekend of revenue every other year.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    count me as a 'no'... the game's tradition is more valuable than one weekend of revenue every other year.

-M
    Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by circled9 View Post
    Three cheers for Coach Stoops. I will be at the Cotton Bowl on Saturday but hate going there. By the way, I will sell my two tickets for five hundred bucks if anyone is interested and watch the game on television.
    Quote Originally Posted by westsidesooner View Post
    My vote if I had one would be for the game to stay as is at fair park in Dallas. The OU-Texas game is special for a reason. Lets keep it that way. Having 3,000-5,000 Texans come to Norman for 1 day or 1 weekend (every other year) probably wouldnt be much of an economic boon for the state.
    If they'd agree to go home/home, I bet you'd see a stadium split like in the Cotton Bowl, it'd be one of the requirements. And it'd be much more than 3,000 to 5,000 Texas fans coming up, it'd start a bidding war on tickets, and there are more Texans with deeper pockets then here, although we hold our own. I'm with the majority of the comments on the NewsOK website (for once), traditions change and this one lost it's appeal years ago. You're foolish if you don't think Arlington won't try to lure this to Jerry World in 2016 after the Cotton Bowl contract expires. What about that for tradition, Dallas still gets millions more in revenue and the tradition is lost by a new venue. The only tradition is having it at the state fair of TEXAS.

> bet you'd see a stadium split like in the Cotton Bowl

I'd have to bet against you. It's one thing should EZ's dream come true, it's a whole nuther notion to think folks would clamor to bring that part of the tradition to the home stadiums.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    If they'd agree to go home/home, I bet you'd see a stadium split like in the Cotton Bowl, it'd be one of the requirements. And it'd be much more than 3,000 to 5,000 Texas fans coming up, it'd start a bidding war on tickets, and there are more Texans with deeper pockets then here, although we hold our own. I'm with the majority of the comments on the NewsOK website (for once), traditions change and this one lost it's appeal years ago. You're foolish if you don't think Arlington won't try to lure this to Jerry World in 2016 after the Cotton Bowl contract expires. What about that for tradition, Dallas still gets millions more in revenue and the tradition is lost by a new venue. The only tradition is having it at the state fair of TEXAS.
    I very very very seriously doubt they would ever split the stadiums seating half and half like they do at the cotton bowl stadium @ fair park. It's laughable. Which season ticket holders would give up their seats? lottery? or donors preference? Can you imagine the week after the Texas game (if it was in Norman) all the OU fans spraying their seats which had been sat on by Texas fans with lysol. And just where do you suppose 45,000 + Texans would spend the night, or eat dinner? Theres a reason this game is in Dallas, because its big. Even a city the size of Dallas is filled to the brim during OU-Texas weekend. Try finding a restaurant without a wait this friday night in Dallas. And the Dallas metro has several hundreds of more restaurants than OKC and Norman combined.

And noone doubts that Arlington will try to get the game, they've already tried unsuccessfully.....and theres no reason to call anyone foolish. The only thing foolish is messing with tradition, which you don't seem to hold in much regard. Memories have been made at that game for over a hundred years....most of them at fair park. Only true fans who have gone down time and again can relate. Lastly............... Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

You may be in the majority @ newsok, but you're in the minority here!!!!

Here are a couple of quotes and their related articles form this mornings DOK regarding the subject.

"For the foreseeable future, the universities of Oklahoma and Texas have a contract to continue playing the Red River Rivalry game in the Cotton Bowl. Beyond that, the collective decisions we make will reflect the best interests of both universities, our administration, our programs and our fans." Joe Castiglione
    NewsOK

"There’s also financial implications from playing at a neutral site. During an online chat Tuesday with the Dallas Morning News, Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds said, over a two-year period of time, the game in Dallas would net about 40 percent more for the schools than a home-and-home."

Read more: NewsOK

"There’s also financial implications from playing at a neutral site. During an online chat Tuesday with the Dallas Morning News, Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds said, over a two-year period of time, the game in Dallas would net about 40 percent more for the schools than a home-and-home."
    Sure' it'd generate more money for the schools (thus why they keep voting to have it in Dallas), but Dallas ain't stupid, they are making tens of millions of dollars into the local economy by having this game, the universities pocket $800,000 each I believe. My point is that Norman/Moore/OKC would benefit tremendously as far as out of state dollars into the local economy, and not just the schools financial best interest as the only factor.

Sure' it'd generate more money for the schools (thus why they keep voting to have it in Dallas), but Dallas ain't stupid, they are making tens of millions of dollars into the local economy by having this game, the universities pocket $800,000 each I believe. My point is that Norman/Moore/OKC would benefit tremendously as far as out of state dollars into the local economy, and not just the schools financial best interest as the only factor.

norman/moore/okc need to find something else for their benefit and I live here

This games belongs in Dallas at the state fair, end of story

Quote Originally Posted by westsidesooner View Post
    I very very very seriously doubt they would ever split the stadiums seating half and half like they do at the cotton bowl stadium @ fair park. It's laughable. Which season ticket holders would give up their seats? lottery? or donors preference? Can you imagine the week after the Texas game (if it was in Norman) all the OU fans spraying their seats which had been sat on by Texas fans with lysol. And just where do you suppose 45,000 + Texans would spend the night, or eat dinner? Theres a reason this game is in Dallas, because its big. Even a city the size of Dallas is filled to the brim during OU-Texas weekend. Try finding a restaurant without a wait this friday night in Dallas. And the Dallas metro has several hundreds of more restaurants than OKC and Norman combined.

And noone doubts that Arlington will try to get the game, they've already tried unsuccessfully.....and theres no reason to call anyone foolish. The only thing foolish is messing with tradition, which you don't seem to hold in much regard. Memories have been made at that game for over a hundred years....most of them at fair park. Only true fans who have gone down time and again can relate. Lastly............... Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

You may be in the majority @ newsok, but you're in the minority here!!!!

Here are a couple of quotes and their related articles form this mornings DOK regarding the subject.

"For the foreseeable future, the universities of Oklahoma and Texas have a contract to continue playing the Red River Rivalry game in the Cotton Bowl. Beyond that, the collective decisions we make will reflect the best interests of both universities, our administration, our programs and our fans." Joe Castiglione
    NewsOK

Read more: NewsOK

Absolutely agree. If Joe Castiglione said he was going to create a home-in-home and give 42,500 of the seats at Owen Field to the visiting team because it's a "rivalry game with Texas," he wouldn't last two more days. The logistics don't work.

It's a shame the Dallas taxpayers wouldn't pony up and put in serious dollars to improving (replacing) the Cotton Bowl when Jerry suggested it as a site for the new Cowboys Stadium in the early stages of his new stadium search some years ago...The Dallas taxpayers' nearsightedness will inevitably lead to them losing the game to Cowboys Stadium, which will be able to get it simply because the amount of money it will be able to offer each team from the money Cowboys Stadium can generate during the game will simply overmatch any type of package Dallas and the Cotton Bowl could counter with.

The split stadium only works at a neutral site, when you have almost 70,000 season ticket holders for OU and 85,000 at DKR it is administrative suicide for an athletic director to suggest that 30-40,000 of their season ticket holder/donors give up their seats for a "home" game. My dad doesn't have OU-Texas tickets, my UT friends down here don't either but accept the fact that they aren't high enough in the donor list to buy them but neither would give them up if the game was held in their own stadium. I know my friends would go at least once to a game in Norman and we have discussed maybe going to a different game but they don't want to see it move to home and home either.

As the other traditional neutral site game when the Florida-Georgia game has been held outside of Jacksonville at the home stadiums it has been a regular home game. It's the same thing with the Rocky Mountain Showdown (CU-CSU) at Invesco, when the game is in Boulder, it is a CU home game.

To think you could actually create a "neutral site" game at either home stadium is just not rooted in reality and as I stated before, the economic impact does not move from DFW to OKC or Austin, it just wouldn't happen.

18. Default Re: Bob Stoops favors home and home with OU/Texas

Its already been said but this game is totally unique (I think) among any other football rivalry except for Alabama - Auburn. In no other game do they meet in a neutral location and the huge stadium is split right down the middle half-and-half. What makes this 100% unique is that it is between the state schools of two states. For it to be played in the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair of Texas, to be played in an old-fashioned, cramped stadium, to be played in a place where you have to park in rather questionable places at times, where there arent enough entrances and exits to the stadium, where bathrooms are barely tolerable is just pure old-fashioned football enjoyment.

There is nothing like being in the Cotton BOwl early when the Texas band marches into the stadium. Then the OU band comes in with their percussion sections trying to outdo each other. Then here comes the 2nd half of the Texas band thats bigger than most any other full school. The OU fans hurl insults while the Texans always seem to come in at the last second. 46,000 people cheer for everything that happens in the game. The electricity is amazing - especially in the truly big games like last year.

To change this to a home and home would destroy a truly unique monument to the excess of big time college football. Sometimes there are things that are more important than money and frankly, most of us who go to the game love the weekend in Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatesooner View Post
    norman/moore/okc need to find something else for their benefit and I live here

This games belongs in Dallas at the state fair, end of personal opinion

FIXED.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Its already been said but this game is totally unique (I think) among any other football rivalry except for Alabama - Auburn. In no other game do they meet in a neutral location and the huge stadium is split right down the middle half-and-half. What makes this 100% unique is that it is between the state schools of two states. For it to be played in the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair of Texas, to be played in an old-fashioned, cramped stadium, to be played in a place where you have to park in rather questionable places at times, where there arent enough entrances and exits to the stadium, where bathrooms are barely tolerable is just pure old-fashioned football enjoyment.

There is nothing like being in the Cotton BOwl early when the Texas band marches into the stadium. Then the OU band comes in with their percussion sections trying to outdo each other. Then here comes the 2nd half of the Texas band thats bigger than most any other full school. The OU fans hurl insults while the Texans always seem to come in at the last second. 46,000 people cheer for everything that happens in the game. The electricity is amazing - especially in the truly big games like last year.

To change this to a home and home would destroy a truly unique monument to the excess of big time college football. Sometimes there are things that are more important than money and frankly, most of us who go to the game love the weekend in Dallas.

exactly - anyone who wants this game to be played anywhere else has no idea how special and unique the setup is

21. Default Re: Bob Stoops favors home and home with OU/Texas

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    when bob stoops wins another bcs game, that's when i'll start giving a **** what he thinks.

Until then, see you in dallas, "big game" bob.
    fify

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatesooner View Post
    exactly - anyone who wants this game to be played anywhere else has no idea how special and unique the setup is
    I'm a season ticket holder, and although not desired, I'd be willing to give up my season ticket to do a split stadium home vs. home series. Much better than spending my money in Dallas. Sorry, but the Texas' State Fair does nothing for me, no matter the tradition. The tradition didn't originally start at the state fair, so should we go back to the "original tradition" of home and home? Although Austin did get more home games than Norman. Or maybe we should play the game in Houston, like was done in 1913? The point is the tradition of this rivalry has changed, and probably will again in the future.

no way the home and home would work with a split stadium. you are probably 1/10000 that would be willing to give up their seats at a home game

regardless of what happened, playing at the cotton bowl has become the tradition and it needs to stay that way

24. Default Re: Bob Stoops favors home and home with OU/Texas

Plus, if it were home and home, its not like 43000 Texans are going to come to the OKC area and spend money. I'll be like a OU-Nebraska home game. Maybe 10K max. Yeah, the area will reap some tax revenue but it just won't be the same - just like its not the same we don't play Nebraska every year.

I'm a season ticket holder, and although not desired, I'd be willing to give up my season ticket to do a split stadium home vs. home series. Much better than spending my money in Dallas. Sorry, but the Texas' State Fair does nothing for me, no matter the tradition. The tradition didn't originally start at the state fair, so should we go back to the "original tradition" of home and home? Although Austin did get more home games than Norman. Or maybe we should play the game in Houston, like was done in 1913? The point is the tradition of this rivalry has changed, and probably will again in the future.
    Are you sure you're not EZ in disquise? You seem to have a real problem with Dallas, the Texas state fair and Texas in general, did you eat a bad corndog? Or maybe one of the rides scared you as a child.

We can all agree that the fair grounds are in a sketchy part of town but with the addition of the DART system you wouldn't even have to drive to the game, you could take the rail all the way to the fairgrounds gate. I might be the only one here who likes the Texas state fair.....I like the fact there are trees, lakes, parks, boats, nice architecture, museums, open spaces, all the vendors tents match, an actual food court building for rainy days.....and a kiler car show building. Compare that with our fairgrounds. I like mingling with the UT fans before and after the game and I like watching the buses pull in to a racous crowd.

Have you ever gone on a road trip with a few of your friends? Maybe so many friends that you had to take more than one car? Well thats another TRADITION I like.....a road trip with 50,000 of my friends. I don't mind the traffic because I leave for Dallas early. I like seeing all the decorated cars, passing....or being passed by the team and band buses. Stopping at rest stops that are huge tailgating parties. I especially love it when we get in a caravan of college students who know how to enjoy life and enjoy a weekend away from school. Think they'd get fired up to drive two blocks to the stadium and stay in their cramped dorm room?

Theres other traditions as well. One of ours is the Hoffbrau house for our traditional friday night steak and ribbbing with the UT fans. It's not all about where the game is played you know. I've made a lot of friends down there. Plus you never answered my earlier post as to where 45,000 UT fans would sleep, eat and go out on friday night? hmmm.

The whole experience of driving to Dallas is like an invading army marching into Texas. Sure we're outnumbered once we cross the red river....but thats what makes it so fun. And I'm sure you're aware that UT and OU fans don't always get along. Why do you think this game is never played late in the day? Because the fans would kill each other if they'd been drinking all day. Same reason Commerce Street is no longer. I think the people in charge of this game understand all that and have done a good job of insuring everyone has a good time.

I've seen people trash the Texas sign as you cross the border....or at least get out of their cars to "water" it. Don't you think there might be similar bouts of vandalism if 40,000 Texans came to Norman? They'd graffiti the seats, destroy the bathrooms, trash the campus.....who knows. It's not a nice thought but its realistic.

The only tradition you seem to care about is changing someone elses post then saying "fixed " to your own amusement. It was never a traditional home and home series. It was played in Norman three times: All prior to 1909

Year Oklahoma Texas Location
    1900 Oklahoma 2 Texas 28 Austin, Tex.
    1901 Oklahoma 6 Texas 12 Austin
    1901 Oklahoma 0 Texas 11 Norman, Okla.
    1902 Oklahoma 6 Texas 22 Austin
    1903 Oklahoma 6 Texas 6 Austin
    1903 Oklahoma 5 Texas 11 Norman
    1904 Oklahoma 10 Texas 40 Austin
    1905 Oklahoma 2 Texas 0 Oklahoma City, Okla.
    1906 Oklahoma 9 Texas 10 Oklahoma City
    1907 Oklahoma 10 Texas 29 Austin
    1908 Oklahoma 50 Texas 0 Norman

It has been played in Dallas since 1914 and at the cotton bowl since 1932....probably when the stadium was built.

I love Bob Stoops as a coach, but we all know what happened to the last coach that came in and tried to improve on OU's traditions by replacing them with his own idea of what OU football should be like. I believe he is now coaching FAU. The OU football program and its TRADITIONS are bigger than any one individual and should stay that way. Like I said I love coach Stoops but he is not OU football.

Heres a quote from wiki: "The series is considered one of the greatest rivalries in American sports."

For more info heres the dreaded wiki link everyone hates so much: Red River Rivalry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thread Information