Widgets Magazine
Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: BancFirst Tower

Default Re: BancFirst Tower

Vegas is a great example of a city where both walking and driving sucks. lol.

I love the wide roads and freeways. I wish OKC would be akin to Vegas than Portland. I wish OKC would be akin to Vegas than Portland.
    Wish granted.

Most of it is wide roads and freeways. Except maybe 0.1% of it, like where this building is.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Vegas is a great example of a city where both walking and driving sucks. lol.

Wish granted.

Most of it is wide roads and freeways. Except maybe 0.1% of it, like where this building is.
    I disagree. Driving in Las Vegas is great and I love walking in Vegas. I’ve been hit by a car only once and that was on a “complete street” in SF, go figure. I suppose OKC is more like Vegas than Portland but OKC hardly has wide roads. Most of the roads in OKC are small 4 lane roads with not even a turning lane let alone a median. I have more fingers on one hand than the amount of long distance six lane divided arterials in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I love walking in Vegas.
    Be honest, you just like all that distance between destinations so you have enough time to finish your frozen margarita in a collectible yard "glass".

( I kid, I kid, )

Got a reply from Ms. Hamon, which said this, in part:

"If you can spread the word that having more people who live/work downtown reach out to myself at ward6@okc.gov (in addition to their own council representative if it isn’t me) about the lack of pedestrian access right there (or even take pictures of people walking in the street despite protections) I can use that to push harder on Public Works to do something differently while we work on longer range policy. "

So if y'all see people walking in the street or otherwise having difficulties, send pics to her.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Be honest, you just like all that distance between destinations so you have enough time to finish your frozen margarita in a collectible yard "glass".

( I kid, I kid, )
    Maybe a super sized beer haha. I don’t know why but every time I have a frozen alcoholic drink it really screws my stomach up.

6. Default Re: BancFirst Tower

All you need to do is stand out there after a Thunder game and you'll see hordes of people walking in the street through that block.

I just saw a couple walking down Broadway who had to run to the end of the barricade to let a car pass by that was coming up behind them.

They were out-of-towners staying at the Skirvin.

Blog Entries

Construction has its vices; but is it really that difficult to figure this out?

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Construction has its vices; but is it really that difficult to figure this out?
    For every other city I've lived in and visited, no, but for OKC, apparently it's so beyond their capabilities/capacity it's incredible. I wonder if the engineers/Public Works folks that ever leave OKC and go to other cities get their minds blown by the way things are supposed to and actually do work out there...

For those that say "Yeah, there's people out there all the time", Public Works isn't gonna do anything unless there's proof (pics) and even then they probably won't, but pics still should be taken if possible and sent to Ms. Hamon. She's probably not going to stand there after a Thunder game and get pics (well, she may, not sure how big of a fan she is ), but if anybody else can get them, please do and send them to her.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    For every other city I've lived in and visited, no, but for OKC, apparently it's so beyond their capabilities/capacity it's incredible. I wonder if the engineers/Public Works folks that ever leave OKC and go to other cities get their minds blown by the way things are supposed to and actually do work out there...
    Well, they probably come down to DFW where this same stuff happens all the time. It's not just OKC, but it's not acceptable anywhere.

You can see they are getting close to removing some of the columns; basically, every other one.

^

I didn't realize until just now that they plan to bring the glass all the way out to the outside columns; will add quite a bit of space to the lobby.

HangryHippo Guest

While I love the reskin of the tower, I really don't care for what they're doing to the base/columns.

Another forgotten bonus of Bancfirst owning this now. No more lit-up Christmas cross.

I wonder how much reinforcing the existing columns are getting or if the columns that are being removed were completely redundant. I would think there would at least be a thicker cross beam between the remaining columns.

It looks like the remaining columns will be thicker and then have those cross beams as well.

And hopefully the new glass will be more transparent than the darker stuff that is there now. If so, the entire lobby will be much brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Another forgotten bonus of Bancfirst owning this now. No more lit-up Christmas cross.
    I like the Christmas cross. I will be offended if it is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    As a non christian that has lived here my entire life, this is actually the best news I've heard this week. Unfortunately I think there will still be the other one.

I’m offended that you are offended.

Not offended but that cross has been there since the 70's. I hope they put a better one up like Sandridge has.

Blog Entries

In addition to the glass being moved out, it's clearer glass, which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by EBAH View Post
    As a non christian that has lived here my entire life, this is actually the best news I've heard this week. Unfortunately I think there will still be the other one.
    I am truly curious and not trying to just be argumentative. I am pretty close to agnostic and the cross doesn't bother me nor would any other symbol on display on a non government building whether it be a Star of David, an Om, a Pentagram or Triskelion. Seeing something displayed that I may or may not believe in doesn't affect my beliefs in any way. The people that rent space in that building have the right to rent other office space in like or better quality buildings if they disagree with the religious bent of the landlords.

24. Default Re: BancFirst Tower

Quote Originally Posted by EBAH View Post
    Maybe they'll add a 200 foot cross to the top of the building. Light it up big and bright with a beam shining up into the heavens and so it can be seen from 50 miles - maybe it will rotate.

It really must be hard having such a hatred for the church. They let you be and let you live your life as you want with nothing more than a few symbols here and there to look at. It's good you don't live in one of many places on the planet where you either participate in the local religion or die. By the way, how's that Christmas shopping going?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I’m offended that you are offended.
    Good.

Thread Information