Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bungalow 23 (formerly 23rd Street Courts)

Uptown/23rd Bungalow 23 (formerly 23rd Street Courts)

[template=]
    development
    |category1=Uptown
    |category2=Shopping Centers
    |category3=
    |category4=
    |
    |project=23rd Street Courts
    |address=700 block of NW 23rd Street (between Shartel and Lee avenues)
    |status=phase 1 and 2 complete, new building under construction
    |owner=Mike Tharasena
    |cost=$5,000,000
    |architect=Brian Fitzsimmons
    |start=2008
    |finish=2012
    |contractor=
    |height=single story homes
    |sq. feet=8 buildings, 20,000 sf
    |acerage=
    |other=
    |
    |image=
    |
    [/template]
    Information & Latest News

Tenants

Bubba's BBQ
    Cuppies & Joe
    Links

Fitzsimmons Architects
    Facebook
    Gallery

Default Re: 23rd Street Courts

That is quite the transformation. Are these going to be rentals?

No, you should check them out - they're all occupied by mostly retail spaces. Bubba's BBQ took what I think is the last available space directly on 23rd, and there's a little courtyard in the back that Guernsey Avenue opens up into - they're building a new restaurant in that courtyard right now. Metro posted some pics of it a while ago, they will eventually get moved with this article.

Cuppie's and Joe, which if I recall correct takes up the cottage on the immediate east side of Guernsey and 23rd, is probably the most popular cupcake place in town..right now. The rest of the cottages have design businesses and offices.

So instead of taking former residences and converting them into businesses, they are designing businesses to look like homes to start???

5. Default Re: 23rd Street Courts

Larry, the 23rd Street frontage (slow and leisurely when the homes were built; now a hectic raceway) makes them a tough sell as housing. It is the reason those houses became so run down/derelict before this redevelopment. As storefronts though, they function surprisingly well for the right business type and provide a homey feel that is pretty rare among places in OKC. It's perfectly suited for a cupcake & coffee joint, for instance, where people are lounging, sitting, chatting, reading and working on their laptops. It feels like you are in your own home almost, and it also feels like the place has been there forever when in fact it is only a couple of years old.

I've only been to the BBQ place a couple of times, but again it feels homey and quaint. There are tons of similar and popular adaptive re-uses in many cities. I've seen entire streets and neighborhoods like this in places like Portland, Austin, Kansas City, Austin and even Dallas. The Ginger Man in Dallas is a popular bar in an old two story house, and was the inspiration for TapWerks.

it wasn't meant as a criticism of the reuse, just thought it was interesting...

View from the Guyutes deck last night -- was absolutely gorgeous night to sit up there:

Bungalow 23 to take inside-out approach to food hall

A new project will take the popular food hall concept and turn it inside out.

Bungalow 23 will unite 9 separate cottages in one unified plan, with common outdoor space between them for seating, games and entertainment.

Truong Le, the operator of Chick n Beer, will coordinate the food and drink concepts. Chick n Beer will move to the former Guernsey Park space (#1) to allow the remaining 8 buildings to receive updates and be filled with 3 additional restaurants and 5 bars, each with its own theme and offerings.

The concept is similar to the popular Rainey Street area of Austin.

The existing patios and porches of the bungalows will be activated as well as the spaces between them. The former small homes were all built circa 1918 and were renovated into a commercial project about 10 years ago, but recently the property has been mostly vacant.

Le and Northline Development have signed a master lease for the entire property as well as the Miriwa restaurant and adjacent lot for parking. The long-vacant Miriwa building will be demolished.

The architect is Ken Fitzsimmons of TASK Design. Work should start by the end of the year.

9. Default Re: Bungalow 23 (formerly 23rd Street Courts)

Dang.... All these cool new places popping up around town are making it hard for me to want to move away to my farm near the Arbuckles and disconnect from the world.

Default Re: Bungalow 23 (formerly 23rd Street Courts)

Amazing concept, I've been to Rainey St a few times and it's such a great spot. Hope this comes to fruition and really kills it.

I have been wanting Chick N Beer to move for the longest time, they have definitely outgrown that spot.

I think this could be successful, but I think if they leave the existing parking it will take away from the connectivity of the entire establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I think this could be successful, but I think if they leave the existing parking it will take away from the connectivity of the entire establishment.
    The parking in the center will be removed.

This is fantastic! Those are such great spaces that have been underutilized and I'm excited to see the develop on NW 23rd continue to expand westward. And I hope whatever streetscape finally gets approved for Uptown makes sidewalk life and congregation along that stretch a bit safer and more comfortable than it is now.

Is the Miriwa building going to be demolished entirely for parking?

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Is the Miriwa building going to be demolished entirely for parking?
    Yes. It's in terrible shape with grafitti all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes. It's in terrible shape with grafitti all over it.
    Oh for sure. Normally I'm not in favor of a) demolishing existing buildings and b) building more surface parking, but it is one of if not the worst eyesore along that stretch of 23rd.

HangryHippo Guest

Exciting! The Miriwa building, as Pete said, is in horrible shape.

What's the status/ownership of the small buildings right on Shartel on both sides? Seems like those buildings - both on the east and west sides of Shartel - are pretty run down (and maybe not in use) based on my recollection - has there been any attempt to incorporate those properties?

I never thought I'd see any proposal where I would be happy to see a building get torn down for more surface parking but here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by john60 View Post
    What's the status/ownership of the small buildings right on Shartel on both sides? Seems like those buildings - both on the east and west sides of Shartel - are pretty run down (and maybe not in use) based on my recollection - has there been any attempt to incorporate those properties?
    Those are all owned by the same people and they have done some renovations but nothing major and they can't seem to keep tenants.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It looks like 4 and 6 still have operators in the tattoo parlor and the spotlight lounge. Are those tenants going to remain or get kicked out and new ones brought in?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    It looks like 4 and 6 still have operators in the tattoo parlor and the spotlight lounge. Are those tenants going to remain or get kicked out and new ones brought in?
    If they are still there, they won't be for long.

COOL! Those bungalows have been underutilized for years. What an awesome plan.

Wow, so glad the ugly Miriwa building will be demolished soon. The plot next to O'Reilly will be developed into a shopping center as well. Exciting time for Uptown for sure.

we ate at Chick-n-Beer last week and i was saying how i love those bungalows and wish they could be better utilized. dreams do come true. chick-n-beer has definitely out grown the space and the patio was looking a little neglected. glad to see them all getting a spruce up and a great concept. removing the parking in there will make a huge difference and as everyone has stated the Miriwa building needed to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    Wow, so glad the ugly Miriwa building will be demolished soon. The plot next to O'Reilly will be developed into a shopping center as well. Exciting time for Uptown for sure.
    Is there a link to this?

Thread Information