Widgets Magazine
Page 32 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: BancFirst Tower

Default Re: BancFirst Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    oh, it's the annual downtown cross argument... that's how i know it's almost christmas!
    It's like the BC Clark song by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Literally nothing has changed. Pedestrians are just walking in traffic lanes on both Main and Broadway.
    I’d think the gravel just encourages more people to walk there and now it’s not just dirt and mud they are walking in

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    oh, it's the annual downtown cross argument... that's how i know it's almost christmas!
    That and the BC Clark Jingle are the two most Oklahoma Christmas things

4. Default Re: BancFirst Tower

Imagine how it would feel to be Jesus and see giant depictions of the device used to torture and kill Him plastered everywhere, it's no wonder He hasn't come back yet. Can there be a separate thread for the religion/cross talk?
    Last edited by zefferoni; 12-06-2019 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Line break

The cross, the empty cross with no one on it, has the added meaning that Christ is no longer on the cross...He died and rose to life after three days...thus the sign of the cross, the empty cross, is meant to portray the hope that we will one day restored to life to live an eternity with Christ.

I saw someone almost get ran over today on Main. Poor girl was looking at her GPS on phone running around trying to figure out where to go. She turned north on Broadway with traffic all around. Clearly did not know the area.

I can't believe this will go on for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I saw someone almost get ran over today on Main. Poor girl was looking at her GPS on phone running around trying to figure out where to go. She turned north on Broadway with traffic all around. Clearly did not know the area.

I can't believe this will go on for 2 years.
    Was she hurt??

8. Default Re: BancFirst Tower

Quote Originally Posted by 5alive View Post
    The cross, the empty cross with no one on it, has the added meaning that Christ is no longer on the cross...He died and rose to life after three days...thus the sign of the cross, the empty cross, is meant to portray the hope that we will one day restored to life to live an eternity with Christ.
    Yes. Before this, the cross was a symbol of horror, used for crusifiction of criminals. It was something to fear. It was widely used for all kinds of purposes in the preceeding centuries in both the East and West societies. Symbol of lightning, fire, etc.

If one of the buildings downtown would like to put up the Star of David or the Crescent, hey i'm all for that too. It's their building, they get to do what they want with it. A cross is pretty easy to install because of the simple design. People often forget that ADVENT is what the decorations are here for and that CHRISTMASTIDE extends beyond Christmas Day. It's a big birthday celebration (even if its at the wrong time of year for when He was born....thank the Catholic faith for that as they tried to squash the pagan holidays...hence the tree). But that's a story for another thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Was she hurt??
    No she didn't get hit, just almost. People are late to work and fly west down Main and don't expect people to pop out right at those yellow barrels at the entrance to BancFirst Tower. Just a super dangerous spot at 8am and 5pm.

Can we get a giant inflatable Krampus on one of the buildings... hehe

In the last photo, you can see they have started to fir-out for the new glass skin that will go over the existing; then the old glass will be removed from the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    In the last photo, you can see they have started to fir-out for the new glass skin that will go over the existing; then the old glass will be removed from the inside.

They built protective barrier wall around the new P180 trees! Took someone 10 years to figure out how much construction work damages newly planted trees. This is progress!

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i have been told that it will be back on this buidling
    this was confirmed in the paper today

https://oklahoman.com/article/564962...r-completition

oh THE HORROR!!!!!!

16. Default Re: BancFirst Tower

Yeah, everyone can calm their rears down now. It'll be back up after construction.

Great !

18. Default Re: BancFirst Tower

Itd really be nice if they could come up with something else or at least have cross on one side (not all four).

Like it or not but skyscrapers define a city and last I saw this was not a religious skyscraper. Yet it does paint OKC in a somewhat negative or non-inclusive way portraying the symbol of Christianity (more associated with his death and resurrection) during the holidays. I wonder why the crosses aren't displayed during Easter - an obvious and very appropriate choice.

Yes, I agree that private ownership can do what they want with buildings but I do recall the city having design ordinances among other things to regulate signage - yet this seems to be ignored. The city can't pick and chose to enforce laws yet I never heard of a permit for this display nor Sandridge's and I'd argue one is enough the other should pick something else or just do colors like most other skyscrapers worldwide.

BTW, I happen to be christian - catholic.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

19. Default Re: BancFirst Tower

I dont think it actually falls under the signage rules anyway as long as its properly secured. It's a "decoration". I'd say we had more room to complain about the Sandridge Thunder banners (which i love). They are FAR more temporary.

Plus are there actually any ordinances that govern religious symbols on private property? I dont think so....and if you think about it, we wouldn't want it either. It's not a free-standing structure like MetroChurch's (oh excuse me, Life Church) mega-cross. In fact, it's quite insignificant in comparison to the rest of the structure considering how little it takes to make a cross.

The building is already a 200 meter (or whatever) billboard for whomever is the anchor tenant. Hence the sign up top. Only reason it isn't larger and lower is because it would block the window views. Nothing says a sign has to be at the top of the thing. NYC has plenty examples of buildings using large 20 floor banner material for advertisements that DO block windows and are gargantuan to sell you shoes/shows/cologne/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Itd really be nice if they could come up with something else or at least have cross on one side (not all four).

Like it or not but skyscrapers define a city and last I saw this was not a religious skyscraper. Yet it does paint OKC in a somewhat negative or non-inclusive way portraying the symbol of Christianity (more associated with his death and resurrection) during the holidays. I wonder why the crosses aren't displayed during Easter - an obvious and very appropriate choice.

Yes, I agree that private ownership can do what they want with buildings but I do recall the city having design ordinances among other things to regulate signage - yet this seems to be ignored. The city can't pick and chose to enforce laws yet I never heard of a permit for this display nor Sandridge's and I'd argue one is enough the other should pick something else or just do colors like most other skyscrapers worldwide.

BTW, I happen to be christian - catholic.
    I agree with this in sentiment. However, Oklahoma City is also the buckle of the Bible Belt and it's also a long-held tradition. Changing that tradition for the sake of political correctness is not something that would go over well with a lot of people, especially if it's enforced by ordinance. I'm not a Christian and I don't like the display of the crosses but it wouldn't be a good thing to have the city design ordinances targeting it. Instead of not displaying the crosses, maybe having additional more inclusive Christmas decorations and lighting would work? Like display the cross but also have a cool red/green lighting scheme on the building during the holidays as well. Or a giant Christmas tree on top of the building. It will be interesting to see what FNC does for the holidays once it's completed.

Blog Entries

Of FFS I thought we were finally off this topic. Maybe it needs its own thread.....

Blog Entries

Just want to add to the words of my friend Hot Rod; who I've grown much respect over the years we have maintained contact.

Tall towers & buildings impact a city in many ways. It makes a statement to the observant eyes which are programmed to observe all things.

As for the cross, from my Catholic upbringing (lots in common with Hot Rod); your expressions and professions of faith--the cross itself is significant of a birth in life. Birth is resurrection from the wound. Life is a cycle, appreciate and make the most of it.

Saturday or Sunday we reserve as a day of rest, where we allow the mind to refresh.
    We're blessed to live in a world of technology where work does not equate to the levels of labor we endured many years ago.

Feel free to express your faith because it is healthy to believe--regardless of what others think.

Have an enjoyable Christmas & holiday season.

In the first photo, on the left you can see they've started to remove the extra columns:

Thread Information