Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 1234567853 ... LastLast

Thread: BancFirst Tower

1. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

The Petroleum Club...no longer looking down on all of Oklahoma City.

Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

$100K building permit today for more improvements to the Petroleum Club.

Fantastic! I'm guessing with Vast and the 50th Floor open across town, they felt like they needed to do something to stay remotely competitive.

They have spent a ton of money upgrading the Petroleum Club just recently, and this is just more investment.

5. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

I've always wished this tower could have had a goldish, copper crown topper. Antique almost in style like Mid-Continent's in Tulsa, or even an artistic, sculpturistic one that resembled a teepee so it would be a pointed crown. Since the building is slightly rectangler in shape the ladder would be more difficult. I just think it would surely change the look and feel of the tower alone, let alone downtown from close & far. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2983545201_2c9ae5c247.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	3025

6. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

Come on guys, it's not that bad. Yes, it's boring, but it's also a classic example of the International Style. That style was the next big thing in its time. If we were in the 70's, we'd be looking at the thing as an example of modern awesomeness.

The same view can be applied to towers like it in every city....boring flat faced wall with what we now call no creativity.

In another 30 years, we'll look back at Devon and have things to say about it. And then in another 50, it will be retro cool again. Remember Art Deco became "old", and now is "historic".

That's just how styles go......

Agreed. As someone who spends way too much time in the building, I'm all for keeping it updated, but I'm not in favor of changing the exterior and common areas beyond refurbishment.

Exactly. It has a sense of history to it.

Maybe it's just me, growing up when I did, but I remember movies from the late 70s/early 80s and anytime they would show New York, they'd focus on those types of buildings. Not the Empire State Building, not the Chrystler Building, it was those tall boxy towers. Those signified "big city" to me when I was a kid. I'd like another half dozen of them downtown.

Does anyone know where I could find archival photos of the interior of the building? I've looked through the OKC Historical Society's web archive, and could find some nice exterior shots of Liberty Tower when it was new, but nothing interior.

Maybe we could have the pier Ferris Wheel put on top of the Cotter tower until the river development gets built lol

It's a par-tay at the Petroleum Club:

Source: BYX Cornerstone 2013 Date Party

I guess that it shows my age (and current interests) that I'm more drawn to the architectural details of the room and the great views out the window than to the kids romping on the floor.

HangryHippo Guest

Meh, I'm young and there's not that much talent in the room anyhow.

Yeah, buncha dorks and fatties.

I like that you can still see Devon in both pics, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I like that you can still see Devon in both pics, lol.
    It gives a feel of "we're not alone up in this dark night sky".

I've been wondering what was going on at the Petroleum club on Friday/Saturday nights. I've noticed bright purple neon lights glowing in the distance at the top of Chase Tower, especially along Broadway Extension.

17. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

We just got an email that Cotter is closing the building office in the tower and that both of the local building managers have resigned. All communication now has to go through the home office in Texas. I don't think that is a good sign...

Not a good sign at all, I'd say. We're still scheduled to have renovations made to the common areas of our floor - I'm curious if we get those.

The real question though, is will that gigantic full body photo of the building manager stay in the lobby?

Maybe it's a could sign. He could be selling it to so someone that will actually update the outside.

Either that, or maybe demand is so great for space, its more cost efficient to centralize their management and lease out the space?

There are still a few empty floors, but it is probably cheaper to run everything from one spot. The Tower is the largest building they own, and likely the most valuable/profitable. I don't see Cotter selling the thing soon.

22. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

I understood they were renewing their financing and having difficulty getting it done. There have been a rash of building bankruptcies in North Texas because financing has matured and the building can't meet the more stringent requirements of the lender for renewal. That could be the case here - not enough market rate performing leases to qualify for the amount of money they owe. No choice but BK if that happens.

And on the photo of Tammy - I doubt it stays - she hates it.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I've only talked to Tammy a few times. Our office manager handles all the interaction with the building.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    Exactly. It has a sense of history to it.

Maybe it's just me, growing up when I did, but I remember movies from the late 70s/early 80s and anytime they would show New York, they'd focus on those types of buildings. Not the Empire State Building, not the Chrystler Building, it was those tall boxy towers. Those signified "big city" to me when I was a kid. I'd like another half dozen of them downtown.
    It's interesting how tastes change over time. In the '70s/80s art deco was completely out - hence the reason so much of OKC's art deco got destroyed in the Pei Plan. Now, rectangular boxes are out and art deco is back in. I think for this reason its best to preserve historical architecture even if the architecture isn't 'in style' at the time. In 30 years, it might be.

I wonder if we'll loose the Chase signage as Chase on a corporate level seems to be in a lot of hot water.

Thread Information