Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252671 ... LastLast

Thread: BancFirst Tower

Default Re: BancFirst Tower

Even if the vertical fins are kept, they'll be virtually invisible due to the lack of contrast with the glass.

And of course, the tie-ins to the arches at the top and bottom will be gone, too.

Just took this one:

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just took this one:

nm

Quote Originally Posted by SagerMichael View Post
    I like the look and it will only be better in real life with the logos and crown on top. But why can’t we get some halfway decent renderings of this project?
    Do we know if the new crown will totally cover up the current mechanical's on the roof? If so, appears the building we gain in some height too.

Quote Originally Posted by LRSooner View Post
    Do we know if the new crown will totally cover up the current mechanical's on the roof? If so, appears the building we gain in some height too.
    I believe it will essentially add the look of one extra floor.

I personally would love the paint and windows to look like the John Hancock Center in Chicago, but that's not Bancfirst's colors so we get a blue tower.

We should be thankful Paycom didn't buy it and we get an obnoxious green tower or Loves bought it and we get a yellow tower.

Seriously even during Christmas Paycom can't put up something else besides green on their corporate office. We get it your company's logo is green.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I personally would love the paint and windows to look like the John Hancock Center in Chicago, but that's not Bancfirst's colors so we get a blue tower.

We should be thankful Paycom didn't buy it and we get an obnoxious green tower or Loves bought it and we get a yellow tower.

Seriously even during Christmas Paycom can't put up something else besides green on their corporate office. We get it your company's logo is green.
    doesn't dallas have a tower that lights up in green everything? and it doesn't seem that bad.

I think it would be neat if BancFirst could have a rooftop observation deck like Top of the Rock in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I think it would be neat if BancFirst could have a rooftop observation deck like Top of the Rock in NYC.
    Ever been to the Petroleum Club? Not the same, I get it, but near enough.

Here is one more render.

This one makes it looks less like a radical change.

Here is one more render.

This one makes it looks less like a radical change.

Where are you finding all these renderings?

12. Default Re: BancFirst Tower

I'm not arguing strongly against this renovation but there is an important question to consider: Has any building been re-skinned in an effort to 'modernize' the appearane that wasn't eventually regretted?

How many times have we had the "what were they thinking" discussion here? That only comes with the benefit of time. At the moment -- like now -- this always seems like a good idea. But as far as I know, it never, ever stands the test of time.

So, the question is: Why would we go down this path again?
    Pete, I disagree with this.

What you speak of are situations where we covered buildings in 'modern' facade, the "gold" building a perfect example. However here with Liberty Tower, we are changing the facade installing better glass.

I dont think there will be a regret, as it will still have the same "look" of International - just will be blue instead of black.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I dont think there will be a regret, as it will still have the same "look" of International - just will be blue instead of black.
    They are completely covering the top elements, changing the entire podium, the vertical elements will be made invisible, etc.

This won't look anything like the typical International style.

Again, I am not trying to argue this design should be rejected, just that there needs to be a discussion about all this.

Another new rendering:

15. Default Re: BancFirst Tower

what if the glass were black, instead of blue. Would that do it for folks?

what about if they refurbished/kept the ribs but changed the glass to blue? or What about all clear glass or even reflective?

As for the plaza, Instead of making the podium larger I'd love to have a large pyramid to accompany the smaller/Underground ones - where the large new pyramid containing an Apple Store (or heck, even Microsoft Store lol).

What a sure fire way to activate that plaza while also igniting Park Avenue and downtown retail!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

what about if they refurbished/kept the ribs but changed the glass to blue? or What about all clear glass or even reflective?

As for the plaza, Instead of making the podium larger I'd love to have a large pyramid to accompany the smaller/Underground ones - where the large new pyramid containing an Apple Store (or heck, even Microsoft Store lol).

What a sure fire way to activate that plaza while also igniting Park Avenue and downtown retail!
    Personally I'm much more disappointed about them getting rid of the ribs than changing the color of the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Personally I'm much more disappointed about them getting rid of the ribs than changing the color of the glass.
    Yes, this. Without the ribs, it's just another big glass personality-less square tower, doesn't matter what the color is.

I don’t know . . . the building in the renderings looks like a BLC tower to me.

19. Default Re: BancFirst Tower

I'm so torn on this!!!!! I really like the idea of updating this place so it's not a pile of crap (thanks Cotter) and can actually attract tenants again. And I actually do like the new look (even if I'm in the minority) but i can't help but thinking we are going to miss having that classic example of International Style one day. Technically, there are a couple of others downtown that are International style, but nothing else SCREAMS it like this one. And we're not far enough away in time to really appreciate it yet.

So i usually like to look at the glass half full, so how about this?
    If the building is built in a way where a re-skin like this can totally modernize the look 50 years after it was built, then it really has the potential to re-skin again in another 50 and continue to reinvent itself. Maybe this can be the building that regularly updates with the times? It wont be long and places like FNC will be hitting that centennial year and look what's happening with that complex. The fulgy International style newer building is the one that got dozed. Thankfully, structures like that can't re-skin...whew! But these glass curtain buildings....maybe we're just starting into the next phase of International Style's flexibility?

I do think if they just replaced the glass with same color of glass, but removed the different shades of glass, most people who thought tower was ugly would be happy.

If you look closely at the latest rendering in Pete's post, the ribs are still there, but they're painted the same color as the blue glass.

Not sure about this, but I imagine the ribs are an integral part of the structure.

I don't understand why people are getting so hung up on conceptual renderings? Designs can change several times before the final building permits are filed. I would take all images with a grain a salt right now.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I don't understand why people are getting so hung up on conceptual renderings? Designs can change several times before the final building permits are filed. I would take all images with a grain a salt right now.
    Its the plans resubmitted to Downtown Design Review Committee. They can only deviate so much once they get approved. They want to get started by fall so I don't expect the renderings to change significantly if they get the green light from the DDRC.

The new plans have yet to be submitted to the DDRC but these renderings are likely what will be included.

Their submission will also include a detailed description, which should answer a bunch of questions.

I'll be sure to post everything with the plans are formally filed.

Thread Information