Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 123456752 ... LastLast

Thread: BancFirst Tower

Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

didn't the guy that designed the chase tower also do the WTC isn't this suppose to be a smaller version of WTC

i think its cool we have to buildings downtown that are similar to 2 of the most reconizable builings in NYC (before 9-11)

those two being chase tower and first national maybe im wrong if so please correct

Actuallly, the Bank of Oklahoma tower in Tulsa was designed by the same architect who designed the World Trade Center in New York. The architect's name was Minoru Yamasaki, an American of Japanese descent. There is a strong resemblance in the two designs. However, I personally do not see any resemblance of Oklahoma City's Chase Tower to the World Trade Center.

3. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

Taurus, you're correct. I didn't mean to imply that the developer of Chase Tower (originally Liberty Tower) did a good job at mimicking WTC. But I do know the developer at that time was shooting for that look.

cool thanks guys for the info....I actually think like most with the proper lighting the chase can look better
    I like all the lighting were starting to come with at nightime now downtown(chase with the white at the top and FNB's changing schemes) very colorful a giant leap from how it use to look when I was a kid
    hopefully the devon tower will really light it up !!

Am I the only one who actually likes the way Liberty/Chase tower looks? It's supposed to look boxy and free of embellishment - Very 60's-70's International. If the building is ever updated, I hope they only change the glass and not the entire look of the building. There is no reason to "update" the building. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

I agree with rononnie1, the building is not that bad. Bad is the Oklahoma Tower as well as the current Devon building. To me those are UGLY not the old Liberty Bank Building. I can see updating the plaza, but not necessarily the building. Perhaps some interesting lighting would be great at night. The owner seems to have an inflated ego, reminds me of someone with the Napoleon complex. Maybe he has other short comings in other areas.

7. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

Oklahoma and Corporate Towers, though not anything great, are at least better than Chase (rufuse to use Cotter's name). At least OK Tower has the blue color. Combined with the blue and white schemes of the library and the Galleria garage, it looks pretty cool, especially at sunset. And Corp. Tower has that weird shape. Much more interesting than the bland Chase Tower.

Don't Edmond My Downtown

8. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

I can see the inspiration in the design from the WTC, but the BOK building definitely is very close to the WTC buildings.
    Anyway, thank GOD for Larry Nichols building a taller, sexier building than Chase tower. Why would some chillbilly put up a statue of himself...especially in some broke a$$ 70's tower? That's like me buying "junior's" and putting up a stalinesque / husseinlike monument to celebrate just how lame I am.

PATHETIC!

If I could put it metaphorically:

If downtown were made of shoes, Chase Tower would be an old leather work boot with ripped soles and broken laces. That nasty brown has got to go. So do the crappy shades in random windows.

Angry Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

I worked at Liberty Tower for 10 years in mechanical operations and have been all over that building. It saddens me to see it fall into the hands of this redneck. On a side note, it is interesting to note that Klay Kimker, who works for Devon and is overseeing the construction of the Devon Tower was my boss.

Thumbs up Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

"Anyway, thank GOD for Larry Nichols building a taller, sexier building than Chase tower. Why would some chillbilly put up a statue of himself...especially in some broke a$$ 70's tower? That's like me buying "junior's" and putting up a stalinesque / husseinlike monument to celebrate just how lame I am."

Haha!

BTW there was a putting green on the 3rd floor terrace which is where the bank's CEO and president's offices were located as well as executive dining rooms. I would imagine the putting green has been converted into a horseshoe pit and the dining rooms have a full service chuckwagon. YEE-HAW!

13. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    If I could put it metaphorically:

If downtown were made of shoes, Chase Tower would be an old leather work boot with ripped soles and broken laces. That nasty brown has got to go. So do the crappy shades in random windows.
    Nice analogy

14. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by mheaton76 View Post
    "Anyway, thank GOD for Larry Nichols building a taller, sexier building than Chase tower. Why would some chillbilly put up a statue of himself...especially in some broke a$$ 70's tower? That's like me buying "junior's" and putting up a stalinesque / husseinlike monument to celebrate just how lame I am."

Haha!
    Hey, let's not pick on Junior's! That's a wonderful time capsule to 1982 that just happens to have a great crew and food that's still really good (can't beat their caesar salad)

A couple recently attended a banquet at the Petroleum Club and posted a blog entry about it.

when it rains it hales: puttin' on the ritz.

A few interesting photos, for example:

HangryHippo Guest

Looking at recent photos posted on OKCTalk, this city has some hideous parking garages. But some of those views posted above are stunning. Thanks for sharing.

The good news that two garages shown above are both due for renovation.

SandRidge plans to completely renovate the Broadway / Kerr garage they recently purchased, and the massive Santa Fe garage is getting a minor facelift as well.

And the one with the big "5" isn't very visible unless you are in a tall building.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    And the one with the big "5" isn't very visible unless you are in a tall building.
    What is that, btw? Why is there a big 5 on that building? I've been wondering for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    What is that, btw? Why is there a big 5 on that building? I've been wondering for awhile.
    I suspect because it's on 5th St.

20. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

I think the address is also 5, as in 5 NW 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I think the address is also 5, as in 5 NW 5th.
    Apparently so, as I've come across a close-up pic of the garage front:

Although... I'm still not sure why they're so dad-gummed proud of the address that they felt the need to make it visible for miles around.

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    Although... I'm still not sure why they're so dad-gummed proud of the address that they felt the need to make it visible for miles around.
    Play to your strengths!

Yes, it's 5 NW 5th, and it was renovated a few years ago. I happen to like it, it's very modern.

24. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

I'm with metro on this. I've always liked it as far as garages go, and especially after the remodel.

Nice shot from the Petroleum Club:

Taken from a recent awards banquet held there.

Thread Information