Widgets Magazine
Page 475 of 485 FirstFirst ... 375425470471472473474475476477478479480 ... LastLast
Results 11,851 to 11,875 of 12103

Thread: Devon Energy Center

Default Re: Devon Energy Center

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    They really only replaced one window? Did they pack everything up and reopen Sheridan, or is it still closed for potentially more work?
    Why, why won't Devon finish replacing the broken windows? I get upset every time I drive by the building. No one seems to really know why.

They were working on some of the upper windows over the weekend:

This is from tonight.

You can see how many of the floors are now completely dark; I counted and it's at least 20.

They don’t even bother to light the sides on most nights. Just pathetic.

They have removed the chainlink fence from the west part of the property; still in front of the tower and the area leading from the Colcord.

there are still a bunch of broken, boarded-up windows.

Its just unbelievable it's taking so much time to make obvious repairs. Unreal.

Approaching two years!!! I first complained about the length of the repairs on August 4th, 2019 all the way back on post # 11648 in this thread. If only I had known then what I know now LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Approaching two years!!! I first complained about the length of the repairs on August 4th, 2019 all the way back on post # 11648 in this thread. If only I had known then what I know now LOL.
    Who can forget Larry Nichols throwing his weight around to destroy the bus station, level Stage Center, and cause a year's worth of delay in streetcar construction over his nebulous aesthetics? I can't, and won't.

This failure to keep up its own building casts a pall over our entire city. It is a towering disappointment (and borderline outrage). I'm sorry, the argument that they have trouble getting the windows manufactured is a silly excuse at this point. They can move heaven and earth if they want to, as they did when they erected this building.

Also, the fact that they built windows so susceptible to Oklahoma's documented crazy weather, and that they could not easily and quickly be replaced after a terribly common high wind / hail event, shows an inexcusable lack of planning. It's a shiny example of the O&G industry's lack of foresight and short-term thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Who can forget Larry Nichols throwing his weight around to destroy the bus station, level Stage Center, and cause a year's worth of delay in streetcar construction over his nebulous aesthetics? I can't, and won't.

This failure to keep up its own building casts a pall over our entire city. It is a towering disappointment (and borderline outrage). I'm sorry, the excuse that they have trouble getting the windows manufactured is a silly excuse at this point. They can move heaven and earth if they want to, as they did when they erected this building.

Also, the fact that they built windows so susceptible to Oklahoma's documented crazy weather, and that they could not easily and quickly be replaced by a terribly common high wind / hail event, shows a terrible lack of planning. It's a shiny example of the O&G industry's lack of foresight and short-term thinking.
    Agree with the first two paragraphs whole-heartedly, Larry Nichols can go **** *** ***** ****** *****.

However, the windows were actually broken by the lift swinging around, I think, not actual hail or winds, so the windows or manufacturer aren't really to blame, any window might've broken in those circumstances. But yes, the crap stewardship of the building kinda fits with his apparent philosophy of "I got all I wanted, screw you, I'm done", pathetic to see this and it reflects badly on the city itself if people don't know the whole story of Nichols (and most don't). I so wish our O&G bigwigs were more like Kaiser, 'cos both Hamm and Nichols suck, can't speak to any others, but those two.....

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Agree with the first two paragraphs whole-heartedly, Larry Nichols can go **** *** ***** ****** *****.

However, the windows were actually broken by the lift swinging around, I think, not actual hail or winds, so the windows or manufacturer aren't really to blame, any window might've broken in those circumstances. But yes, the crap stewardship of the building kinda fits with his apparent philosophy of "I got all I wanted, screw you, I'm done", pathetic to see this and it reflects badly on the city itself if people don't know the whole story of Nichols (and most don't). I so wish our O&G bigwigs were more like Kaiser, 'cos both Hamm and Nichols suck, can't speak to any others, but those two.....
    You are correct about the window thing blowing around, but wasn't wind a factor there? Also, I thought there was a separate storm that caused additional problems.

^^^. A couple of contractors tried to was the windows when they shouldn't have. Bottom line.

Wow, I guess some of you guys don't have many problems at home to be so upset and worried about Devon's windows.

I mean, it's been a pretty crazy year so I'm going to go ahead and guess some of this is due to some logistical challenges. But, also I'm sure the powers that be at Devon are probably more concerned about not having to lay people off on a daily basis than making sure a few windows in their half empty building are fixed to the satisfaction of a few very upset dudes on the internet. If I'm a Devon employee or shareholder, I sure as hell hope they are, at least.

13. Default Re: Devon Energy Center

I don't think anyone talking about those Devon windows has said anything about contacting the company for comment or has said they've asked someone who knows the situation. There may be a very valid excuse such as insurance conflicts, manufacturor problems, issues matching tint, etc. Maybe they've had some incorrectly made panes. Who knows? This isn't like calling Save-lite-Auto glass and getting a new windshield for your F-150.
    Last edited by Martin; 04-06-2021 at 08:44 AM.

i removed some off-topic posts that were getting a bit too argumentative and personal. let's stick to discussing the topic.

Devon has done a lot for this city, mostly in the form of providing high paying jobs. They also have had embarassing upkeep of their building. Both of these statements can be true, and don't have to be fueled by envy or jealousy.

The fence finally being pushed back away from their plaza and the sidewalk is welcomed. It only took almost 2 entire years. Maybe by 2024 the fence will be placed inside the rotunda.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Devon has done a lot for this city, mostly in the form of providing high paying jobs. They also have had embarassing upkeep of their building. Both of these statements can be true, and don't have to be fueled by envy or jealousy.
    Curious because I really don't know, haven't kept up with them - how many high-paying jobs did they start out with and how many do they have now?

Curious because I really don't know, haven't kept up with them - how many high-paying jobs did they start out with and how many do they have now?
    Not sure how accurate the source is, but this website says they had as many as 6,600 employees in 2014. Assuming average pay/benefits of $75,000, that's nearly $500M in pay/benefits. Not all of that would have been in OKC of course. This is all highly speculative, but I'm sure it's a decent ballpark figure.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...r-of-employees

The Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce indicates they have 2,700 employees as of 2021.

Go back far enough and the answer is 0

Quote Originally Posted by AnguisHerba View Post
    Not sure how accurate the source is, but this website says they had as many as 6,600 employees in 2014. Assuming average pay/benefits of $75,000, that's nearly $500M in pay/benefits. Not all of that would have been in OKC of course. This is all highly speculative, but I'm sure it's a decent ballpark figure.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...r-of-employees
    i would guess that the average pay is 100k or over

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-of-employees/

Devon Energy number of employees 2010-2020
    Published by N. Sönnichsen, Mar 12, 2021.

Devon Energy Corporation employed 1,400 people in 2020, down from 1,800 employees in the year prior. Devon Energy Corporation is among the largest U.S.-based independent natural gas and oil producers, it is organized in Delaware and headquartered in Oklahoma.

Windows being replaced today! Know several on here will be happy to hear there is progress

They are using the crane on top of building. This is first time I’ve seen that crane used since the incident, can’t confirm if it’s been used since or not. Just wondering if getting that repaired was the hold up?

Regardless looks like about a dozen windows left to repair. There are several marked with red tape so assume those are the ones they are currently working on.

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    Windows being replaced today! Know several on here will be happy to hear there is progress

They are using the crane on top of building. This is first time I’ve seen that crane used since the incident, can’t confirm if it’s been used since or not. Just wondering if getting that repaired was the hold up?

Regardless looks like about a dozen windows left to repair. There are several marked with red tape so assume those are the ones they are currently working on.
    see post 11852 in this thread ... the crane was used last month also

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    see post 11852 in this thread ... the crane was used last month also
    Yea I missed that I knew I didn’t know for certain. But at least there is progress being made if slowly. Better than the first year and half of no action. I’m sure there has been complexities we are not aware of that had been the slow down on this.

Thread Information