Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 485 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192065115 ... LastLast

Thread: Devon Energy Center

1. Default Re: Devon Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Nawfside OKC View Post
    hey what's up ya'll.I saw the news earlier but I couldn't post because I was at work. I wanna just say JESUSSSSSS.....925 feet. I was kinda getting tired of hearing the word "iconic" but that's really the only way to describe it and to think we well soon trump Dallas skyline ( in height). jbrown your were right on the est. also,we should not rub this in Tulsa's face because this building and our momentum is far bigger than our silly OKC-T town rivaly. we need bigger fish now. Houston and Chicago yall want some of this ? Way to go Oklahoma City..

I agree Nawfside, let's even stop referring to Tulsa or even mentioning them. I honestly don't know why people see the need. OKC is clearly in a different level and always has been.

that's no offense to Tulsa, they have a great middle sized city. And a wonderful skyline considering the population.

Other than that, who cares - OKC I-S and always W-A-S Oklahoma. That's the way it should be. So why keep egging them on. Let's make an agreement not to mention Tulsa with oKC's development.

Focus on the positives.

As for egging Chicago - hey, OKC will NEVER hold a candle to the top tier I city in the nation (along with NY and LA). come on now.

Houston is a solid top tier II, OKC is just now making it into tier II.

I think we should focus on KC, Indy, and maybe Denver for trumps (since OKC's tower will be taller and they are closer tier II cities). I know you were probably joking, but sometimes you never can tell and somebody might get the wrong idea.

We might get Chicago-like, once the downtown plan is implemented and we get quite a few more skyscrapers - but in sheer numbers/density/height and overall height; nobody will ever come close to Chi. Do you realize chicago is building a 2000 foot skyscraper right now; known as Chicago Spire, and they are topping off a 1350 foot skyscraper known as Trump tower Chicago even as we speak. And they ahve another 1000 footer under construction but on hold (waterview tower); and countless other towers about the same height as Devon u/c and planned.

Chicago itself is going through a wonderful renaissance and EVERYTHING they're building is close to or taller than Devon in height.

Chicago will always dominate America, when it comes to business and skyscrapers! No question.

We can certainly follow Chicago's lead! be a mini-Chicago of the south. I see that is where OKC is headed actually!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

2. Default Re: Devon Tower

Architect, I like your skyline rendering but one criticism.

Chase seems like it's too short.

Chase is almost 100 feet taller than OK tower and from every angle it is taller, yet on your west view angles, chase looks shorter. I think you might want to add a little bit to Chase, it is a 500 foot skyscraper - not bad and certainly much taller than anything else downotwn right now.

Default Re: Devon Tower

I'm pumped! My friends are "believe when we see it." But I see it!

4. Default Re: Devon Tower

My 1st draft of the Devon Tower blog article is finally done. It includes links to 5 VERY high resolution images of "press kit" images already posted in this thread, plus a number photos I took yesterday morning as well as commentary. I'm sure that it will be amended, but it's pretty complete.

Link: Doug Dawgz Blog: Devon Tower

Great job as usual, Doug!

Really appreciate all your great work and information.

Quote Originally Posted by jstanthrnme View Post
    I pray they don't smear their corporate logo over the thing...
    Devon said they will probably not put their logo on the top of the building. They said they do not need a logo on top because there will be no mistaking the building...

7. Default Re: Devon Tower

lol, that's no joke.

Im sure people around the nation will know who commands this beautiful skyscraper! Devon will be known and synonomous with this wonderful work of art.

8. Default Re: Devon Tower

that said, does anybody have any night time views? Im interested to see what it will look like at nite.

will it just have the red aviation beacon lights up top, or will it have a Dallas like neon outline (hope not), or will it will the top be outlined like a halo?

Im sorry guys, please no crosses during Christmas. That is way too played out.

HOTROD, I think it was Doug who mentioned earlier in this thread that the triangles at the "crown" of the tower, will be lit up at night, but the lighting is still up for discussion with Devon. I too would like to see some proposed night-time renderings though.

Devon stated that the lighting issue is still not completely resolved. Their current plans are for the crowns to be lit up (the triangles at the top) and for the 'indentions' that run completely up the sides (three of them) will be lit up. They said that they anticipate the lighting to be subtle and not over-powering.

Thanks for those sketches, architect!

This is going to be an awesome sight from the high ground on NW Expressway near Baptist Hospital:

Doug - in your blog it says completion date of 2014... I thought it was going to be 2012???

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    My 1st draft of the Devon Tower blog article is finally done. It includes links to 5 VERY high resolution images of "press kit" images already posted in this thread, plus a number photos I took yesterday morning as well as commentary. I'm sure that it will be amended, but it's pretty complete.

Link: Doug Dawgz Blog: Devon Tower
    Doug, excellent blog as usual. I have one comment though, you have the tower expected completion at 2014, it should be 2012. I hope it doesn't take to 2014.

any other large buildings beingplanned in downtown? any from size 10 floors to 40?

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I agree Nawfside, let's even stop referring to Tulsa or even mentioning them. I honestly don't know why people see the need. OKC is clearly in a different level and always has been.

that's no offense to Tulsa, they have a great middle sized city. And a wonderful skyline considering the population.

Other than that, who cares - OKC I-S and always W-A-S Oklahoma. That's the way it should be. So why keep egging them on. Let's make an agreement not to mention Tulsa with oKC's development.

Focus on the positives.

As for egging Chicago - hey, OKC will NEVER hold a candle to the top tier I city in the nation (along with NY and LA). come on now.

Houston is a solid top tier II, OKC is just now making it into tier II.

I think we should focus on KC, Indy, and maybe Denver for trumps (since OKC's tower will be taller and they are closer tier II cities). I know you were probably joking, but sometimes you never can tell and somebody might get the wrong idea.

We might get Chicago-like, once the downtown plan is implemented and we get quite a few more skyscrapers - but in sheer numbers/density/height and overall height; nobody will ever come close to Chi. Do you realize chicago is building a 2000 foot skyscraper right now; known as Chicago Spire, and they are topping off a 1350 foot skyscraper known as Trump tower Chicago even as we speak. And they ahve another 1000 footer under construction but on hold (waterview tower); and countless other towers about the same height as Devon u/c and planned.

Chicago itself is going through a wonderful renaissance and EVERYTHING they're building is close to or taller than Devon in height.

Chicago will always dominate America, when it comes to business and skyscrapers! No question.

We can certainly follow Chicago's lead! be a mini-Chicago of the south. I see that is where OKC is headed actually!

Yeah I was kidding kinda tryna say we are big too. Yes I know about the Chicago spire. I also know We will never be able to compete with Chicago and H-town on sizeable downtown buildings but i'm still willing to push the bullies.

I am so happy to be living in OKC during this moment.the best time probaly in our City's existance.

Go OKC can't wait to see this thing. I'm almost certain this won't be the last skyscraper for OKC before 2020.

any other large buildings being planned in downtown? any from size 10 floors to 40?
    I think you'll see several as part of Core to Shore.

Conceptual renderings show mid-rise towers just south of the Myriad Gardens and a large convention center and convention hotel just to the SE of that.

Also, I think we are going to end up with a tall, Hyatt-like hotel in the near future. It's something that is desperately needed and when everything else really gets rolling, I bet some smart developer will seize that opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    that said, does anybody have any night time views? Im interested to see what it will look like at nite.

will it just have the red aviation beacon lights up top, or will it have a Dallas like neon outline (hope not), or will it will the top be outlined like a halo?

Im sorry guys, please no crosses during Christmas. That is way too played out.

Also, this is from today's Oklahoman:

The uppermost cap of the tower will taper in slightly to enhance its proportions and produce a soaring form in the skyline, Pickard said. The cap also will conceal mechanical systems from public view.

During Wednesday's presentation, Pickard turned down the auditorium lights and lit up a model of the building to show how it will define the skyline at night.

"We would like to do something that is appropriate,” Pickard said. "We are going to do it in a responsible way. We're not going to put a thousand klieg lights up there and do silly things.”

^^ Just because the C2S renderings have mid-rises planned doesn't mean they will ever get built. Let's be realistic here, the downtown office vacancy rates are way too high to warrant anymore office space. A developer won't build a spec Class A, AA, or AAA building in hopes of getting someone to lease a large percentage of it, when they could spend far less and renovate the ample space already available. The only chance for continued office construction is if a company decides to consolidate (as in the case of Devon). To see any real office construction vacancy really needs to be under 10%.

Our best bet is a hotel or residential high-rise.

19. Default Re: Devon Tower

Quote Originally Posted by OKC74 View Post
    Doug - in your blog it says completion date of 2014... I thought it was going to be 2012???
    My mistake! Thanks, I'll fix it.

Just because the C2S renderings have mid-rises planned doesn't mean they will ever get built. Let's be realistic here, the downtown office vacancy rates are way too high to warrant anymore office space. A developer won't build a spec Class A, AA, or AAA building in hopes of getting someone to lease a large percentage of it, when they could spend far less and renovate the ample space already available. The only chance for continued office construction is if a company decides to consolidate (as in the case of Devon). To see any real office construction vacancy really needs to be under 10%.
    As downtown becomes much more fashionable in the next few years (with Devon Tower and the related amenities, the greatly improved Ford Center and NBA team, new downtown boulevard, etc.) many local companies -- perhaps even Midfirst and American Fidelity -- will want to be there.

As it is, there are no large contiguous blocks of quality office space. By the time Devon moves into it's new tower, much of that space will be absorbed.

Also, Devon and Chesapeake were hardly even on anyone's radar just 5-10 years ago. Sandridge could easily outgrow the KM Center or any number of others could rise up or even relocate.

Even with this massive new project, OKC still will have a pretty small downtown in terms of quality total square footage. The city seems poised for a take off and just like Charlotte and other mid-sized cities, you could easily see several cranes on the skyline simultaneously.

This is an interesting excerpt from one of the articles in today's Oklahoman. Does anyone have the details (Doug or Steve?) about the landscaping workshop this Saturday?

Landscaping and the gardens
    At a cost of $750 million, the new Devon headquarters will add millions of dollars to the city's tax increment financing district, which can be used to pay for public improvements downtown.
    Devon Chairman and Chief Executive Larry Nichols said his company will only request a fraction of the TIF dollars generated by the project for creation of a 2.5-acre park that will front Sheridan Avenue, across from the Myriad Gardens.

The area will consist of a lawn, shade trees and fountains. The design by James Burnett and Murase Associates calls for a "living pool teeming with aquatic life.” A public green will accommodate between 1,500 and 2,000 people during special events. At the western edge of the park, a pavilion will rise up from what is called "a skin of water” and will provide a shaded space for festivities and picnic lunches.

Nichols hopes a significant amount of the TIF dollars generated by the project will pay for an overhaul of the Myriad Gardens, which already has seen an upgrade of its water stage funded by Devon. Nichols said his landscape architects also will be charged with assisting the city and the Myriad Gardens Foundation on possible improvements.

"It is a beautiful park, but there are not a lot of people in it,” Nichols said. "There are some design flaws where the city over time really didn't have the money to do what needed to be done.”

Nichols said discussions are already under way, and a design workshop Saturday will invite the public to tell landscape architects what they would like to see added to the park. "Restaurants, ice skating rinks, dog parks ... they have a list of 30 or so different features you could put into that park to really make it work,” Nichols said. "Our hope is, when you really see what an urban park can do, it will create that much more enthusiasm for the long-term plans the city has for the really big park in the Core to Shore area.”

I wasnt going to mention this with all the debate and comparing of OKC and other cities getting a little heated. (I for one love Dallas, and Kansas city) But with football season coming up and everyone needing to lighten up a little think about this. In Architects renderings (the third one down) doesn't it appear that OKC is giving Texas "the bird" ..... Boomer Sooner!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    As downtown becomes much more fashionable in the next few years (with Devon Tower and the related amenities, the greatly improved Ford Center and NBA team, new downtown boulevard, etc.) many local companies -- perhaps even Midfirst and American Fidelity -- will want to be there.

As it is, there are no large contiguous blocks of quality office space. By the time Devon moves into it's new tower, much of that space will be absorbed.

Also, Devon and Chesapeake were hardly even on anyone's radar just 5-10 years ago. Sandridge could easily outgrow the KM Center or any number of others could rise up or even relocate.

Even with this massive new project, OKC still will have a pretty small downtown in terms of quality total square footage. The city seems poised for a take off and just like Charlotte and other mid-sized cities, you could easily see several cranes on the skyline simultaneously.
    Ok, this is not Charlotte. Charlotte's finance roots are a little different than OKC's energy base. Do you remember Denver and Dallas and the huge building boom of the 1980s from energy? It took Denver 20 years to grow into all that space they built. They are just now constructing office space, due to the <10% vacancy rates.

OKC's downtown office space is on par with most cities its size. It does lack Class A, AA, and AAA, but that's about to change. Do you really want to have a bunch of vacant buildings downtown forever?

We need to be concentrating on what's at the ground level. Don't get me wrong, I love pretty new skyline changers, but OKC needs more infill at the pedestrian scale.

I'm not suggesting that there will be a huge amount of spec office space built.

Just that it's likely more local companies will want to be down there and if so, we don't have the Class A space for them now, let alone in 3-5 years.

And BTW, downtown OKC has only 5.7 million square feet of rental office space, as opposed to 7.7 million for Tulsa, a city significantly smaller.

I think the best way we'll see new towers in the Core to Shore expansion is with hotels and residential, residential, residential.

Maybe, just maybe the Devon move will give other mid/large companies the urge to give downtown a look. I wonder how many cranes will be downtown when Devon's tower gets started.

Thread Information