Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restaurant Suggestions in Norman

Default Restaurant Suggestions in Norman

My daughter started as a freshman at OU this year. My husband and I have started a regular "date night" with her every Wednesday but being a lifelong northsider I have no ideas of local eateries. I throw myself on the mercy of the kind souls of Norman to please give us some suggestions. I am a vegetarian, so if you can keep that in mind. I don't need a veggie restaurant, just a place that has a few options. Please save me from another night of a chain on I-35 please. Oh, and locations and mini directions please. I really only know how to get to Couch Tower, LLoyd Noble and downtown. Thanks, in advance.

Default Re: Restaurant Suggestions in Norman

I heard there was a place called campus corner, not sure how to get there, but you should check it out

Iron Starr just opened a new restaurant down there. I'm trying to remember if they have any dishes on the menu that are vegetarian. They've got a Ted's there on the west side of I-35. Othello's is an Italian restaurant there that's decent. Seven forty seven is the name of another one, I believe that's on campus corner.

Jenkins is the N/S street on the east part of campus, by the stadium
    Chautauqua is the N/S street on the west side of campus
    Imhoff is the E/W street on south of campus, immediately N of Lloyd Noble
    Boyd is the E/W street on north side of campus

Other useful tidbits for getting your bearings

Jenkins and Chautauqua both reach Hwy 9
    Campus corner is just across Boyd, between Jenkins and Chautauqua
    Downtown is NE of campus 1/2 mile (take Jenkins to main, turn right, you're there)

Several eateries on Campus Corner, including Victoria's Pasta, Othello's, O'Connell's (the newer one), Iron Starr (effective next week) and many more

The original O'Connell's is still operational, I think, at Lindsay and Jenkins, catty corner to the stadium

1 mile or so west on Lindsay (first main E/W of the dorms) are several places to feat out, ranging from the plush (Legenda) to the sammywich shops

Similarly, going 1 mile ro so east on Lindsey gets you to a Braums and further on, a few new chicken places

Downtown has a variety of eateries which some adore, some skip

Two decent Chinese buffets in town, one just W of I-35 at W Robinson and NW36th in the S end of the shopping center, the other is on W side of I-35, Ed Noble Parkway, just north of Lindsey a bit. Numerous places out on Ed Noble Parkway as well.

Golden Corral at I-35 and W main, on east side of I-35 (lindsey W to 24th NW, north to Main, W to Golden Corral turning N at last light before I-35)

Great BBQ, uncertain of veggie offerings, at the Sooner Legends place at I-35 and W Lindsey

Iron Starr opens this Tuesday on Campus Corner with a veggie plate waiting on ya!!

Iron Starr Urban Barbeque

La Baguette - French, bakery/deli/bistro, on Main St. across the street from Norman High School.

The Mont - little bit of everything, great patio, on the corner of Boyd & Classen. http://www.themont.com/

Bison Witches - sandwiches, bar/grill, on Main St. downtown BisonWitches.com - Home of Bison Witches Bar & Deli - Norman Menu

Sake - Japanese hibachi/sushi, on Main St. in the shopping center w/Big Lots (across the street from Hastings)

Forward Foods - sandwiches, vegetarian, on Main St. Hours, Directions, Contact Info | Forward Foods

Legend's - on Lindsey Legend's Restaurant Home Page

I would definitely suggest checking out http://www.urbanspoon.com/n/46/4512/...an-restaurants to find some good restaurants. I've got the app for it on my iPhone & I've discovered some really great places through it.

Benvenutis is a nice italian place on Main across the street from Coaches. It's a little pricey-- around $15 - $25 a plate.

I wasn't happy with the service on my most recent visit. I think the waiter was new and the server was kind of rude. But the food is excellent.

If you're not opposed to Indian food, Misal of India (on Ed Noble Parkway) has many vegetarian dishes...

Soup and Salad is another of the places out of Ed Noble Parkway, w side of I-35, between Main and Lindsey. It's very easy to go meatless there, but the meatlovers won't feel completely deprived either.

The Olive Garden Soup Salad and Breadsticks offering isn't bad, also on Ed Noble Parkway and just south of W Main

Prairie Kitchen on W Main, just east of I-35 and the Super 8 motel, has decent fare as well.

Speaking of East Indian food, Himalayas is awesome. It's on Berry just south of Robinson. The food is similar to Taj/Ajanta/Gopurram if you've been to those NW OKC favorites. Indian restaurant and cuisine, catering services. Norman, OK

Tarahumara is very good. It's a local Mexican restaurant. The food is just great. It's on Porter between Robinson and Main. tarahumarasnormanok.com

The Service Station is another local non-chain that's kind of cool. It's a burger place that is in an old converted gas station. The burgers are all named after various kind of cars. It's one of those 'must go' local places. I can't remember where it is at, I'm going to say it is on University somewhere between Boyd and Main though.

Blu Fine Wine and Food is another great restaurant. Very cool little place with quite the fancy little food offerings. It is on Comanche which is just off of Porter near Main (very close to downtown). Blu Homepage

I'd also have to second The Mont. Go on a nice night and set out on the patio. It has very nice landscaping and atmosphere. Click "Pattio Pictures" on their website to see. http://www.themont.com/

^ Service Station is at Asp & Apache, in between downtown and Campus Corner. Great place.

Blu and Seven47 in Campus Corner on Asp are two of my favorite 'nicer' restaurants in Norman and both are very popular. A great vegetarian place in Campus Corner that hasn't been mentioned yet is The Earth on Asp. Pepe Delgado's (Mexican), In The Raw (sushi), Victoria's and Othello's (Italian), Monique's (Caribbean), TEA Cafe (Asian), Pho Winner (Vietnamese with lots of vegetarian) and Pad Thai/Thai Raja are good bets in the Campus Corner/Boyd & Jenkins area as well. The Mont at Classen & Boyd, The Library at College & Boyd, Cafe Plaid by University & Boyd, and La Luna on Buchanan all have great patios and outdoor seating if it's nice outside. And in downtown besides Blu there is also the aforementioned Benvenuti's (very good Italian restaurant) at Main & Jenkins and Sweet Basil (Thai) at Main & Santa Fe.

The only non-downtown/Campus Corner places worth checking out, IMO, are Misal (Indian) on Ed Noble Pkwy. by Barnes & Noble, Legend's near Lindsey & Berry, O Asian Fusion (new place at 12th & Alameda), and of course Tarahumara's on Porter by the hospital.

Ya can't go wrong wit hIron Starr!

Victorias is the best

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    Iron Starr opens this Tuesday on Campus Corner with a veggie plate waiting on ya!!

Iron Starr Urban Barbeque
    This one I was much anticipating as it is one of my favorite places. Went to the original last week. BTW all of the Good Eggs have veggie options. I'll let the family know you will be open. Daughter can walk from her dorm.

Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions. I will point daughter to this thread and let her pick something.

Pepe Delgados in campus corner has an excellent veggie platter, and is very fresh.

As a side note, if you haven't already, nominate yourself as parent of the year by letting her know you both recognize and support there will likely be a place or three in Norman that she will want to exclude off the Wed. list, that those spots are the fav spot for her and her new friends, and as a new frosh spreading wings and all, they are not the places she wants to go with her mum and pop.

Taste of India in @ 12th and Alameda is by FAR best Indian food in Norman...

^
    so sugers is a no go then? -M

We went to Iron Starr tonight. Tuck, you guys really did a great job with this location. The decor is great and I'm sure that humongous bar will get tons of use on the weekends. The service was great which is quite commendable since this is only the second day. The manager even came to our table and chatted a while.
    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I noticed some of the places that you mentioned tonight and will be trying them soon.
    Kevin, I did join the OU Parent's Association which was really difficult considering I bleed orange. But I do get e-newsletters that inform me of what is going on around campus and such. I just can't bring myself to put the crimson bumper sticker they gave me on my car next to my OSU Alumni sticker. A girl's gotta have her limits. That may eliminate me from any OU parent of the year competition.

Bleeding orange ain't fatal, but don't slip and fall in Norman, extra pints be in short supply.
    8^)

[QUOTE=CCOKC;260696]We went to Iron Starr tonight. Tuck, you guys really did a great job with this location. The decor is great and I'm sure that humongous bar will get tons of use on the weekends. The service was great which is quite commendable since this is only the second day. The manager even came to our table and chatted a while.
    QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm glad you had a great time. We are really proud of this project.

Judging from the reviews in the separate thread it looks as if the hard work paid off. I am biased of course since I was already a fan.

I'm vegetarian, so Victoria's (Campus Corner on White Street) is perfect with many options and meat-free sauces. Hideaway Pizza (Campus Corner on Buchanan Ave) is great for vegetarians and is delicious. they even offer light and very light cheese options.

As an OSU grad you don't have to tell me about how great Hideaway is. The spagehetti with mushrooms got me through a lot of late night study sessions twenty years ago. Although, the last time I went to Hideway in OKC they did not have that particular dish any more.

Thread Information