Widgets Magazine

Thread: I-40 Photos

1. Default I-40 Photos

After another great meeting of the Southsiders, and after Generals64 led me and Prunepicker to the Sandown area, I drove east on Reno from May and came to the Pennsylvania intersection. A magical sign (like in L.A. Story but smaller and it didn't play Do Wah Diddy. Still a pup sign, I guess. See the magical sign in my latest blog post, Doug Dawgz Blog: Psst ... Wanna See Some Dirty Pictures? .

There are 21 or so pics in the post. Some are below ...

Default Re: I-40 Photos

cool pics!
    thanks

Doug, I'm so impressed! Thanks for posting.

We drove down to Union Station yesterday and saw a bunch of earth movers hard at work there, so looks like there is lots of activity taking place. That's a great bridge you have pictured. I noticed it last month and was really impressed.

5. Default Re: I-40 Photos

Thanks, all. I really like those almost medieval pillars. Very cool.

Looks great!

I thought I saw one earlier with the handiwork of a tagger, or was that another thread?

Wow.. Did someone already graffiti the side of that concrete wall (the last pic)? That's sad

9. Default Re: I-40 Photos

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Wow.. Did someone already graffiti the side of that concrete wall (the last pic)? That's sad
    That looks like one of the temporary concrete barriers they normally have around for construction.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    That looks like one of the temporary concrete barriers they normally have around for construction.
    AHA! that makes more sense

11. Default Re: I-40 Photos

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    I think you're correct about the "Southside" graffiti but in a pic I didn't use in the blog article (since focus wasn't good) you can see that the artists were not limiting themselves to temporary barriers ...

If we're destined to have taggers, tis a shame we seem to mainly attract those without talent

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    If we're destined to have taggers, tis a shame we seem to mainly attract those without talent
    True.

Several comments:

1.) Doug, thanks for the pics! Best one's I've seen of the new I-40 thus far.
    2.) Graffitti- yes, the bridge has been hit several times, quite heavily I noticed once, but they have already painted over it. Bunch of coward lowlifes.
    3.) Odd topic, but it's disappointing to see the standard crappy light fixtures attached to our new beautiful highway. Definitely not the cool modern looking ones shown in renderings of the new highway, etc. I wish ODOT and our city leaders could be a little more progressive on the small details like this that COULD make a BIG IMPACT.

15. Default Re: I-40 Photos

I didn't look closely at the light fixtures, but I was wondering about them also. Maybe they are just temporary?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I prefer to the call them vandals.

Vaughn: Brody? Sick vandalism. That is a deliberate mutilation of a public service message. Now I want those little paint-happy bastards caught and hung up by their Buster Browns! - Jaws

what's up with the billboards? should the city (like lots of other cities) ban billboards on the cross town?

OKC sucks ass when it comes to zoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    I think you're correct about the "Southside" graffiti but in a pic I didn't use in the blog article (since focus wasn't good) you can see that the artists were not limiting themselves to temporary barriers ...

Cornbreads? Damn, that takes me back...

I'm glad to see so much progress is being made. This is still in its infancy, really, but any progress is music to my ears.

I can't wait to drive on it when it's complete. I do hope those lighting fixtures are only temporary, though. I agree that even though it is a small detail, the small touches are sometimes what stand out the most. This is supposed to be the new gateway to our city; it should be an entirely different experience from any other highway.

Thread Information