Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: local bands in the 60's

Default local bands in the 60's

Anyone rembers two bands that played the southside in the late 60's called Gary Rolland and the Continetals and there was also The Sound Pounders with Steve Spears as lead. What abouth Myia? Wonder where their at now?

Default Re: local bands in the 60's

Quote Originally Posted by zipper View Post
    Anyone rembers two bands that played the southside in the late 60's called Gary Rolland and the Continetals and there was also The Sound Pounders with Steve Spears as lead. What abouth Myia? Wonder where their at now?
    Mobey Dick and the Whalers.............

The Walker Underpass........

Gsary Roland's Grandfather is the person that owned the old '56 Chevy with two front ends. He lives in Rivendell....Construction company owner....

How about Looney Tunes? Or... Looney Toones?

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    How about Looney Tunes? Or... Looney Toones?
    Was Joe Don a musician?

6. Default Re: local bands in the 60's

Are you referring to Maya? I think it was about a year ago I walked into the old Larsen's Music around N.W Hway and 63rd, (is it still called Larsens?) and stumbled upon the keyboard player for that band. He told us the full history of the group for the past 30 years.

My memory is shot, but I think his name is Bill Hood and he works there. There were some great players in that group.

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    Was Joe Don a musician?
    I "get it" but some people don't know noth'n bout football.

Quote Originally Posted by drumsncode View Post
    Are you referring to Maya? I think it was about a year ago I walked into the old Larsen's Music around N.W Hway and 63rd, (is it still called Larsens?) and stumbled upon the keyboard player for that band. He told us the full history of the group for the past 30 years.

My memory is shot, but I think his name is Bill Hood and he works there. There were some great players in that group.
    Speedy West still plays regularly around town.

How about Jude and Jody?
    Wiley and Gene?
    Bud and Don Mathis?
    Hank Thompson?

All major bands in the 60's locally.............

Does ANYONE remember the band "The Henchmen" and who any or all of the members of this band were??????????????????????????

I remember the band but not the members

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    I remember the band but not the members
    Could one of them been named Tommy or Tom Blackburn? Thought maybe you might remember?

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    I "get it" but some people don't know noth'n bout football.
    Really showing our age here...............

Was he a musician before or after being an elephant caretaker?

The roots of the Sound Pounders actually goes back to Ronnie Barlow (guitar), Mike Willis (vocal) & Bill Newman (bass). Bill left to join the Continentals just as they switched the name from the Tall Cool Ones to the Sound Pounders which is when Spears joined. In ?95? all the original Sound Pounders (after Newman - Ronnie Barlow, Mike Willis, Sam Greenroyd, Steve Spears and the drummer) got together and played at the State Fair Arena for the Murrah Building Bombing Benefit hosted by Ronnie Kaye.

Just this month all but Barlow (he got dosed w/Agent Orange in VietNam and is in a bad way in Assisted Living as his spine melts away) gathered at the Oklahoma Historical Museum w/beaucoup bands of the era for a tribute to Ronnie Kaye. Gary Roland was there and had word of about all the other Continentals but none could attend - Steve Cassidy - Delmer Pound - Greg Newberry - Bill Newman. Bill is retired in McCurtain county - Greg is in Florida doin' Public Education stuff - can't remember 'bout Steve and Delmer - sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by LeethalDose View Post
    The roots of the Sound Pounders actually goes back to Ronnie Barlow (guitar), Mike Willis (vocal) & Bill Newman (bass). Bill left to join the Continentals just as they switched the name from the Tall Cool Ones to the Sound Pounders which is when Spears joined. In ?95? all the original Sound Pounders (after Newman - Ronnie Barlow, Mike Willis, Sam Greenroyd, Steve Spears and the drummer) got together and played at the State Fair Arena for the Murrah Building Bombing Benefit hosted by Ronnie Kaye.

Just this month all but Barlow (he got dosed w/Agent Orange in VietNam and is in a bad way in Assisted Living as his spine melts away) gathered at the Oklahoma Historical Museum w/beaucoup bands of the era for a tribute to Ronnie Kaye. Gary Roland was there and had word of about all the other Continentals but none could attend - Steve Cassidy - Delmer Pound - Greg Newberry - Bill Newman. Bill is retired in McCurtain county - Greg is in Florida doin' Public Education stuff - can't remember 'bout Steve and Delmer - sorry.
    Greg Newberry was hilarious. He was still around in the early 80s ...still playing. Great character.

There was a band called The Road Runners that KOMA and/or WKY used to publicize. They traveled all over Oklahoma playing 'sock hops' on Friday and Saturday night. I don't know if they were really based in OKC or not.

Speedy West still plays regularly around town.
    Where can one catch this act?? Considering he passed away in 2003 I would like to see this!

Greg Newberry was .... Great character.
    That's what my girlfriend would say to all her friends but we still couldn't get him dates... <jest kiddin'>

Greg was an incredible artist too. Fitting that Greg ended up in education since his dad was in education...

Quote Originally Posted by kmf563 View Post
    Where can one catch this act?? Considering he passed away in 2003 I would like to see this!
    Speedy Junior stopped using Jr as part of his name. He plays at Friends regularly. At least the last time I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by LeethalDose View Post
    That's what my girlfriend would say to all her friends but we still couldn't get him dates... <jest kiddin'>

Greg was an incredible artist too. Fitting that Greg ended up in education since his dad was in education...
    I had forgotten that. His dad was a school principal wasn't he?

I had forgotten that. His dad was a school principal wasn't he?
    Yep, grade school, told some mighty good stories that then raised eyebrows - today the same stories would bring yawns - the times keep changin'!

Sam Hankins and the Hodads
    Dwayne and the Belldettas
    Squattie and the Botties

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Sam Hankins and the Hodads
    Dwayne and the Belldettas
    Squattie and the Botties
    Squattie and the Botties still around?

One member is the brother of Bob Barry Jr.

Anyone rembers two bands that played the southside in the late 60's called Gary Rolland and the Continetals...
    I thought I knew part of the answer to this when it was posted, but I had to do some checking to make sure. The Continentals morphed into a band called Phoenix. After Phoenix broke up, some of the members carried on in a band called Terraplane. It was between Phoenix and Terraplane that I became acquainted with these guys. They only mention the Continentals occasionally and that's why I wasn't sure if it was the same band. These guys still get together and play, although these days it's only at our parties every couple of months or so. For what it's worth, the son of one of the Continentals was in the band, The Uglysuit.

Quote Originally Posted by TaoMaas View Post
    ... and that's why I wasn't sure if it was the same band...
    There was more than one band named "the Continentals" in the early/mid 60's and it still causes confusion today! The Continentals that were buddies to the Sound Pounders centered around Gary Roland and the pink brick home at SW 78th & Youngs Blvd (the SW corner).

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    ... The Walker Underpass........
    All from Capitol Hill - when they needed a bass player, Steve Spears took the name Sound Pounders and joined The Walker Underpass to form the "new" Sound Pounders, after the original Sound Pounders grew up so to speak. That's why some think Steve was the leader of the Sound Pounders - he was - in their second incarnation.

The "summer of love" eventually made its' way to Oklahoma and changed everything... what an era to live through, especially as a musician...

Thread Information