Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: local bands in the 60's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default local bands in the 60's

Anyone rembers two bands that played the southside in the late 60's called Gary Rolland and the Continetals and there was also The Sound Pounders with Steve Spears as lead. What abouth Myia? Wonder where their at now?

Default Re: local bands in the 60's

Quote Originally Posted by zipper View Post
    Anyone rembers two bands that played the southside in the late 60's called Gary Rolland and the Continetals and there was also The Sound Pounders with Steve Spears as lead. What abouth Myia? Wonder where their at now?
    Mobey Dick and the Whalers.............

The Walker Underpass........

Gsary Roland's Grandfather is the person that owned the old '56 Chevy with two front ends. He lives in Rivendell....Construction company owner....

I knew Steve Spears and his family extremely well, I had a crush on him or months while his band practices in the garage at the Spears home on 71st and Penn. His mom Marie mom adored me besides being neighbors I spent a lot of time there? There was another band member name Lee Overstreet who played drums in the Sound Pounder’s band. I just happen to talked with his brother Jack who was much young about 20 years younger than Steve a couple of weeks ago. Said Steve is good, married, two grown children and works at TAFB. He just built a new house in Norman. Travis his son, bought 40 acres next to his parents to build he and his family a dream home. Tosha his daughter lives in Edmond with her husband and their 3 children. It is funny, Steve now has a belly and snow white hair. I just visited OKC in July for Steve's 60th birthday was what Jack said party. But aren’t we all getting older?

Quote Originally Posted by christy Potter View Post
    I knew Steve Spears and his family extremely well, I had a crush on him or months while his band practices in the garage at the Spears home on 71st and Penn. His mom Marie mom adored me besides being neighbors I spent a lot of time there? There was another band member name Lee Overstreet who played drums in the Sound Pounder’s band. I just happen to talked with his brother Jack who was much young about 20 years younger than Steve a couple of weeks ago. Said Steve is good, married, two grown children and works at TAFB. He just built a new house in Norman. Travis his son, bought 40 acres next to his parents to build he and his family a dream home. Tosha his daughter lives in Edmond with her husband and their 3 children. It is funny, Steve now has a belly and snow white hair. I just visited OKC in July for Steve's 60th birthday was what Jack said party. But aren’t we all getting older?
    Good to hear about Steve!!! I knew him and Debbie when they lived on SW 78 many years ago and have oftened wondered where they were and what they were doing now. He worked for SW Bell back then (mid-70's) and I went with them to a bowling tournament in Tulsa. He was a cutie.... and they were such a cute couple!!!

~~~

Anybody remember the name of the trumpet player who led bands at Club Jamboree and the Derby Club in the late 50s, and wound up his career playing piano and occasionally using his horn at The Store (NW 50 and Portland)? I used to spend several hours a week at The Store, nursing a draw beer and taking in his technique. Among other things, he taught me Duke Ellington's intro to "A Train" that sounds like the screech of a subway horn (right hand crushes an E chord while left hand stays in C). He also had a great chart of "One For My Baby" that was totally unlike the published version, but sounded even better. However I'm having a senior moment trying to remember his name! He was an admitted alcoholic who was dry when I first met him but who fell off the wagon after a couple of years, and died of a massive coronary. He was well enough known in music circles that someone organized a benefit for his estate, held down at Norman, and it drew in headliners from all over the country...

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    Anybody remember the name of the trumpet player who led bands at
    Club Jamboree and the Derby Club in the late 50s, and wound up his
    career playing piano and occasionally using his horn at The Store
    (NW 50 and Portland)?
    Wayne Nichols. He and Baird Jones played together.

How about Looney Tunes? Or... Looney Toones?

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    How about Looney Tunes? Or... Looney Toones?
    Was Joe Don a musician?

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    Was Joe Don a musician?
    I "get it" but some people don't know noth'n bout football.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    I "get it" but some people don't know noth'n bout football.
    Really showing our age here...............

Was he a musician before or after being an elephant caretaker?

12. Default Re: local bands in the 60's

Are you referring to Maya? I think it was about a year ago I walked into the old Larsen's Music around N.W Hway and 63rd, (is it still called Larsens?) and stumbled upon the keyboard player for that band. He told us the full history of the group for the past 30 years.

My memory is shot, but I think his name is Bill Hood and he works there. There were some great players in that group.

Quote Originally Posted by drumsncode View Post
    Are you referring to Maya? I think it was about a year ago I walked into the old Larsen's Music around N.W Hway and 63rd, (is it still called Larsens?) and stumbled upon the keyboard player for that band. He told us the full history of the group for the past 30 years.

My memory is shot, but I think his name is Bill Hood and he works there. There were some great players in that group.
    Speedy West still plays regularly around town.

How about Jude and Jody?
    Wiley and Gene?
    Bud and Don Mathis?
    Hank Thompson?

All major bands in the 60's locally.............

Speedy West still plays regularly around town.
    Where can one catch this act?? Considering he passed away in 2003 I would like to see this!

Quote Originally Posted by kmf563 View Post
    Where can one catch this act?? Considering he passed away in 2003 I would like to see this!
    Speedy Junior stopped using Jr as part of his name. He plays at Friends regularly. At least the last time I checked.

Does ANYONE remember the band "The Henchmen" and who any or all of the members of this band were??????????????????????????

I remember the band but not the members

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    I remember the band but not the members
    Could one of them been named Tommy or Tom Blackburn? Thought maybe you might remember?

The roots of the Sound Pounders actually goes back to Ronnie Barlow (guitar), Mike Willis (vocal) & Bill Newman (bass). Bill left to join the Continentals just as they switched the name from the Tall Cool Ones to the Sound Pounders which is when Spears joined. In ?95? all the original Sound Pounders (after Newman - Ronnie Barlow, Mike Willis, Sam Greenroyd, Steve Spears and the drummer) got together and played at the State Fair Arena for the Murrah Building Bombing Benefit hosted by Ronnie Kaye.

Just this month all but Barlow (he got dosed w/Agent Orange in VietNam and is in a bad way in Assisted Living as his spine melts away) gathered at the Oklahoma Historical Museum w/beaucoup bands of the era for a tribute to Ronnie Kaye. Gary Roland was there and had word of about all the other Continentals but none could attend - Steve Cassidy - Delmer Pound - Greg Newberry - Bill Newman. Bill is retired in McCurtain county - Greg is in Florida doin' Public Education stuff - can't remember 'bout Steve and Delmer - sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by LeethalDose View Post
    The roots of the Sound Pounders actually goes back to Ronnie Barlow (guitar), Mike Willis (vocal) & Bill Newman (bass). Bill left to join the Continentals just as they switched the name from the Tall Cool Ones to the Sound Pounders which is when Spears joined. In ?95? all the original Sound Pounders (after Newman - Ronnie Barlow, Mike Willis, Sam Greenroyd, Steve Spears and the drummer) got together and played at the State Fair Arena for the Murrah Building Bombing Benefit hosted by Ronnie Kaye.

Just this month all but Barlow (he got dosed w/Agent Orange in VietNam and is in a bad way in Assisted Living as his spine melts away) gathered at the Oklahoma Historical Museum w/beaucoup bands of the era for a tribute to Ronnie Kaye. Gary Roland was there and had word of about all the other Continentals but none could attend - Steve Cassidy - Delmer Pound - Greg Newberry - Bill Newman. Bill is retired in McCurtain county - Greg is in Florida doin' Public Education stuff - can't remember 'bout Steve and Delmer - sorry.
    Greg Newberry was hilarious. He was still around in the early 80s ...still playing. Great character.

There was a band called The Road Runners that KOMA and/or WKY used to publicize. They traveled all over Oklahoma playing 'sock hops' on Friday and Saturday night. I don't know if they were really based in OKC or not.

Greg Newberry was .... Great character.
    That's what my girlfriend would say to all her friends but we still couldn't get him dates... <jest kiddin'>

Greg was an incredible artist too. Fitting that Greg ended up in education since his dad was in education...

Quote Originally Posted by LeethalDose View Post
    That's what my girlfriend would say to all her friends but we still couldn't get him dates... <jest kiddin'>

Greg was an incredible artist too. Fitting that Greg ended up in education since his dad was in education...
    I had forgotten that. His dad was a school principal wasn't he?

I had forgotten that. His dad was a school principal wasn't he?
    Yep, grade school, told some mighty good stories that then raised eyebrows - today the same stories would bring yawns - the times keep changin'!

Thread Information