Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: local bands in the 60's

Quote Originally Posted by Bohnett View Post
    Hi, I am Jay's cousin. Jay Amos is alive and well in California. He
    has been playing in a band and is a head coach at a college. He
    is doing very well. Thanks for remembering him. I will let him know
    what I saw here.
    That's good to know. Didn't James McGough(sp?) play keys for
    that band? Maybe a Vox. I don't remember the name of it.
    Who was the bass player? I'll always remember Jay's grey swirl
    Ludwig kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohnett View Post
    Hi, I am Jay's cousin. Jay Amos is alive and well in California. He has been playing in a band and is a head coach at a college. He is doing very well. Thanks for remembering him. I will let him know what I saw here.
    Well..I'am glad to hear that Jay is still with us. When you get in touch with him please tell him that Rick Murphey said "HEY".

Anybody remember a cat named Jesse Ed Davis? A Kiowa guy from Anadarko area that eventually played with Taj Mahal and on solo albums of John Lennon and George Harrison.

Also found this about him...

"Davis began his musical career in the late 1950s playing in Oklahoma City and surrounding cities with John Ware (later Emmylou Harris' drummer), John Selk (later Donovan's bass player), Jerry Fisher (later Blood, Sweat & Tears vocalist) Mike Boyle, Chris Frederickson, drummer Bill Maxwell (later Andrae Crouch and Koinonia) and others.

The Hot Oklahoma Nights exhibit that recently closed at the Oklahoma History Museum had an exhibit about him. He died fairly young. He played with a lot of great musicians.

Bigray in Ok

Emailed with Jay. Here is an edited version of what he said.

The first band was the Extremes and the second band was the Mirage. James McGough played keyboard in both bands, Brooks Beck was the lead singer , Steve Smith was the lead guitar and the bass player was Larry, he was in Johnny Hughes and the Fender Benders before joining the Mirage.

Tell Rick Murphey that I remember him and his brother and that they lived on the same street as Ron Ritter. Who told him that I was dead? It was probably one of my old girlfriends. She probably said “ he’s dead to me”. The website for the band I play with now is www.baytownband.com The music that is played on that site is not me. We are recording new music to put on the web site but it’s not finished. My picture is there and my bio.

Jay, a.k.a. Sasha Fierce (must be a 60's band thing)

Does anyone remember a local band from the sixties called "The Henchmen?" If so, would you know who any of the band members were?????

Prunepicker Guest

Does anyone know the band that I played in during the 60's?
    Neither do I.

Prunepicker Guest

Does anyone remember Joe Larsen (sp) a guitarist and Rick
    Greenlee (sp) a bassist? They played together back then.
    Can't remember a specific band, though.

There was another guitarist with the last name of Pepperdine.
    I think that's right.

Preacher Smith, the Demon...Road Runners

Moby dick and the Whalers. Walker Underpass.....

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Vail View Post
    Preacher Smith, the Demon... Road Runners
    Gigged with the Preacher. He played everything in F# (black keys).
    Unless there was another.

Just heard that Bill Hood from the "Maya" band died this afternoon.

~~~

I knew Steve Spears and his family extremely well, I had a crush on him or months while his band practices in the garage at the Spears home on 71st and Penn. His mom Marie mom adored me besides being neighbors I spent a lot of time there? There was another band member name Lee Overstreet who played drums in the Sound Pounder’s band. I just happen to talked with his brother Jack who was much young about 20 years younger than Steve a couple of weeks ago. Said Steve is good, married, two grown children and works at TAFB. He just built a new house in Norman. Travis his son, bought 40 acres next to his parents to build he and his family a dream home. Tosha his daughter lives in Edmond with her husband and their 3 children. It is funny, Steve now has a belly and snow white hair. I just visited OKC in July for Steve's 60th birthday was what Jack said party. But aren’t we all getting older?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCNDN View Post
    Anybody remember a cat named Jesse Ed Davis? A Kiowa guy from Anadarko area that eventually played with Taj Mahal and on solo albums of John Lennon and George Harrison.
    Of course! He's in Harrison's "Concert for Bangladesh" video. Kendall's restaurant in Noble has a display about him. Legend has it that Duanne Allman took up playing slide guitar after hearing Jesse play "Statesboro Blues" when he was with Taj Mahal's band. He's one of Oklahoma's great untold stories, I believe. Another is Gus Hardin. Garth Brooks' sister played bass in her band before joining Garth. IMHO, Gus should have been another of Oklahoma's great country artists who are known by first name alone...Vince, Garth, Reba, Toby... But, like Jesse Ed Davis, she burned out when she got too close to the sun. She died in a car wreck in 1996. I heard that it was big news in Tulsa, but it was only a couple of paragraphs in the back of the Oklahoman here in OKC.

I played in a band named D-Tours 63-65. We played at Bixler's Sugar Shack regularly for about a year (on NW 23rd) and played at the state fair once or twice and some of Ronnie Kaye's sock hops.

Quote Originally Posted by christy Potter View Post
    I knew Steve Spears and his family extremely well, I had a crush on him or months while his band practices in the garage at the Spears home on 71st and Penn. His mom Marie mom adored me besides being neighbors I spent a lot of time there? There was another band member name Lee Overstreet who played drums in the Sound Pounder’s band. I just happen to talked with his brother Jack who was much young about 20 years younger than Steve a couple of weeks ago. Said Steve is good, married, two grown children and works at TAFB. He just built a new house in Norman. Travis his son, bought 40 acres next to his parents to build he and his family a dream home. Tosha his daughter lives in Edmond with her husband and their 3 children. It is funny, Steve now has a belly and snow white hair. I just visited OKC in July for Steve's 60th birthday was what Jack said party. But aren’t we all getting older?
    Good to hear about Steve!!! I knew him and Debbie when they lived on SW 78 many years ago and have oftened wondered where they were and what they were doing now. He worked for SW Bell back then (mid-70's) and I went with them to a bowling tournament in Tulsa. He was a cutie.... and they were such a cute couple!!!

~~~

Anybody remember the name of the trumpet player who led bands at Club Jamboree and the Derby Club in the late 50s, and wound up his career playing piano and occasionally using his horn at The Store (NW 50 and Portland)? I used to spend several hours a week at The Store, nursing a draw beer and taking in his technique. Among other things, he taught me Duke Ellington's intro to "A Train" that sounds like the screech of a subway horn (right hand crushes an E chord while left hand stays in C). He also had a great chart of "One For My Baby" that was totally unlike the published version, but sounded even better. However I'm having a senior moment trying to remember his name! He was an admitted alcoholic who was dry when I first met him but who fell off the wagon after a couple of years, and died of a massive coronary. He was well enough known in music circles that someone organized a benefit for his estate, held down at Norman, and it drew in headliners from all over the country...

Anyone remember "The Disciples" out of Norman?

Quote Originally Posted by faas_ok View Post
    I played in a band named D-Tours 63-65. We played at Bixler's Sugar Shack regularly for about a year (on NW 23rd) and played at the state fair once or twice and some of Ronnie Kaye's sock hops.
    I remember the D-Tours...and Bixlers...and Ronnie Kaye, of course...knew a few girls who fell for his rampant womanizing--he swooned them all--but--he was quite nice and made them all feel special.

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    Back then KOMA was one of a handful of clear channel radio stations. That's not to be confused with a station owned by an incredibly nasty media conglomerate of the same name; a clear channel station was allowed, after sundown, to boost their signal to a then maximum output of 50,000 watts. The only other clear channel I can remember from back then is WLS in Chicago.

Rick
    WOAI-AM in San Antonio is/was another 50 KW clear channel station. It became the flagship station of that certain media conglomerate, hence the name of that certain media conglomerate.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    Anybody remember the name of the trumpet player who led bands at
    Club Jamboree and the Derby Club in the late 50s, and wound up his
    career playing piano and occasionally using his horn at The Store
    (NW 50 and Portland)?
    Wayne Nichols. He and Baird Jones played together.

Many thanks! Yep, I first discovered The Store when Baird was there; Wayne took his place after Baird moved out to Vegas for a while. I never really liked the club atmosphere, but put up with it to listen to Wayne!

Prunepicker Guest

Many thanks! Yep, I first discovered The Store when Baird was there;
    Wayne took his place after Baird moved out to Vegas for a while. I
    never really liked the club atmosphere, but put up with it to listen
    to Wayne!
    I hear from Wayne's daughter every now and then. I used to get
    with Baird and saw his son a couple of weeks ago.

Do you know where Wayne's son is these days? He was pretty doggone good on the double bass. Last time I saw him was at a traveling BurlyQue show that played out at Lincoln Plaza, after Wayne fell off the wagon. Both he and his son were to be in the band for the show, but Wayne didn't make it. I went specifically to support Wayne, and talked with the son briefly at intermission. I hate to think how many years ago that was!!!

Prunepicker Guest

Do you know where Wayne's son is these days? He was pretty
    doggone good on the double bass. Last time I saw him was at a
    traveling BurlyQue show that played out at Lincoln Plaza, after Wayne
    fell off the wagon. Both he and his son were to be in the band for the
    show, but Wayne didn't make it. I went specifically to support Wayne,
    and talked with the son briefly at intermission. I hate to think how
    many years ago that was!!!
    I haven't seen him in decades. We weren't very close.

Thread Information