Widgets Magazine

Thread: Handicap ramps to ....?

Default Handicap ramps to ....?

There has been a crew installing handicap ramps at the major intersections on North Council Road, north of 10th Street, for the last week or so. But there's no sidewalks...

Stimulus money?

Default Re: Handicap ramps to ....?

lol now thats what i call good use of money, whats nexta stop light of a dead end dirt road

might keep someone from running over the folks in the make out spots thread

Probably in response to the $700+million bond money passed several years ago for roads/sidewalks as well as ADA compliance.

In December 2007 , city voters passed 11 propositions in a City Bond Issue, to include:
    - (Prop 1) Walkers will also benefit from the construction of 350 miles of sidewalks and trails.-

(Prop 5) Quality parks raise property values, strengthen families, reduce obesity and provide a safe place for children to play. This proposition funds 14 new playgrounds, eight basketball courts, 47 walking paths, two new parks and improvements to 13 community centers, as well as the Myriad Botanical Gardens.

Sidewalks were to be built on all of Proposition 1 projects (Streets). Any resurfacing project in a neighborhood will get an accessible path on at least one side of the street. If it's an historic neighborhood with existing sidewalk, it'll be on both sides if the budget allows, and only to meet ADA. The Reconstruction projects (Part C of Prop. 1), were mainly streetscape-type projects, which include sidewalks for ADA accessible paths. Widening projects were to include sidewalk on one side of the street, but are being designed for both sides should funding and space allow.

The City of Oklahoma City - 2007 City Bond Election

http://www.okc.gov/bonds2007/

It doesn't have anything to do with the stimulus.....although I'm sure the right will think so. Like Metro stated I'm sure its all about meeting the ADA requirements. They have or are in the process of doing that all over town and have been for years. It is sad that while they now have ramps at most intersections....some, if not most are not connected to sidewalks. Worse yet many lead right up the the traffic light pole which splits the new ramp into unusable proportions. Befroe ending in the ramp to nowhere.

Im all for sidewalks.....and if thats what it takes to keep the idiots who constantly walk down 4 lane roads....build away.

They did the same kind of thing in Denver while I lived there. THousands of ramps at street corners for sidewalks.

The 2007 bond (Streets) does have improvements on Council Road listed, but not in area where the work is getting done. Perhaps this falls in the unlisted project category.

Looks like it might be and we might not be the only state...

The Daily Local News : Serving Chester County

For years there was also an anti-sidewalk person in charge of OKC Public Works department. There is a whole lot of catching up to do, the ADA was passed 17 years ago and OKC is not the only one that has put it off.

I am sitting at my desk right now looking at the cones in Council. This job has gone extremely quickly they did the West side last week and the east side they started the actual work today. I am assuming that sidewalk will come later and we won't just have ramps going nowhere. The workers came in last week to our building to tell us they would be walking around our property and told us they were doing work on the gas lines and then the next day the ramps were in on the other side of the street. I am at 14th street and the ramps are in up to about 16th I think. I watch many people walk up and down Council all day to the point where there are "paths" cut into the grass. Sidewalks are sorely needed. I am sure that they can only go to 23rd or so because any more north and you start to get into Bethany.

I watch many people walk up and down Council all day to the point where there are "paths" cut into the grass. Sidewalks are sorely needed.
    Absolutely. I hope it gets walks too. I'm doubting that the way they are going about it. If walks were going in anytime soon I think they would be putting them in as they went.

Not necessarily. I have seen this process happen in other parts of the city and it happened just this way. I am thinking specifically on N Portland just south of the Lake Road and N Meridian where they put in the bike path. It took literally months though between ramps and sidewalks/paths.
    And the OKIE folks have marked for utility lines all the way down the street.
    Last edited by CCOKC; 09-14-2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    They did the same kind of thing in Denver while I lived there. THousands of ramps at street corners for sidewalks.
    Over the last few years Stillwater has had to do the same thing. They spent something like 5 million on sidewalks and ramps at intersections.

They have put in a number of these on the SW side too. The ramps look nice, but have NO sidewalks even remotely close. We are SO in desperate need of sidewalks! No person trying to navigate undeveloped areas or even the right-of-way areas next to neighborhoods could possibly travel beyond the ramp.

Wonder how many years it will take to get the sidewalks up to the ramps?

15. Default Re: Handicap ramps to ....?

I'm in St. Louis right now and I noticed just recently how many more sidewalks were in this city than OKC. I'm going to be living here part-time for a while and it's actually a pretty neat city. I've always loved Kansas City, (another city that's got lots of sidewalks). Most older cities do, it's a shame Oklahoma City has so many neighborhoods without them.

That ramp must go to the underground city. The moles have been making a lot of noise lately and demanded better access.

Quote Originally Posted by okcrt View Post
    that ramp must go to the underground city. The moles have been making a lot of noise lately and demanded better access.
    lol!!

Holy sand pile Batman, they have found the entrance to the bat cave.

You got it all wrong folks. Remember the short bus from when you were in school?
    Well, during speed trap weekends, that's where they park the short cop car.
    8^)

That intersections now has a curb where the big wall of dirt is and they are still working on it as we speak. Not sure if there will be a retaining wall but it sure does need one.

whats next a sidewalk that leads straight into one of the city lakes, this is crazy

Thread Information