Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comet Skating Club

Default Comet Skating Club

It was at 5800 NW 36th for decades and is still a skating rink called Roll-A-Way with most of the cool old sign still intact:

Default Re: Comet Skating Club

Our Saturday hangout in junior high (late 60s); glad to see it's still there in some incarnation.

Actually, I think Roll-A-Way has now closed, too. But at least the building and sign are still there.

Comet had a pretty long and successful run; I would guess about 25 years.

4. Default Re: Comet Skating Club

I spent many days there in the late 60s, early 70s. Had a blast skating.

5. Default Re: Comet Skating Club

My hangout too in the late 70's and early 80's. We'd run next door to the What-A-Burger or across the street to the 7-11 to get food. Even sneak a puff on a cigarette in the tiny alley between the Comet and the building next door.

Wasn't the skating rink on Linwood just south of NW 10th also called Comet??

7. Default Re: Comet Skating Club

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Wasn't the skating rink on Linwood just south of NW 10th also called Comet??
    That was the Rocket.

8. Default Re: Comet Skating Club

The Rocket was on Lynnwood and had a wooden floor. The comet on 36th & MacArthur had the concrete floor. If you had the speed skates with the wide wooden wheels they would really hum on the wooden floor at the Rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Actually, I think Roll-A-Way has now closed, too. But at least the building and sign are still there.

Comet had a pretty long and successful run; I would guess about 25 years.
    Pretty sure it's still open, not sure the current name though. I drive by it every now and then. Having went to Bethany, our school skate nights were there until they moved it to Yukon due to crime in the general area of the rink. It's definitely a lot rougher neighborhood than it used to be. The apartments behind there sure don't help.

It is called Galaxy now.

Bigray in Ok

Even though we went to the Rocket and to the Comet quite often, we generally went to Joyland on SE 29th Street (between Del City and Midwest City) because it was closer to home (Nicoma Park-Choctaw). BTW, does anyone remember an ice skating rink on the East side? I am thinking it was East of Lincoln Blvd.

Big ray is right, I drove by last night, it's Galaxy. I took a pic and will post soon.

Skate Galaxy has a website: http://skategalaxyokc.com/.

And it looks like they have done a nice job renovating/updating the place. Here's a photo of the brand new rink floor:

Looks nice. So it's a swimming pool now? Okay, I jest; sure looks like one.

I remember Rocket having those "humps" or mini hills on their wooden floor.. Anyone else remember that ?? ... I was a Comet girl myself..... I remember some kid named Scott Wainscott that was like the floor ref or whatever they were called, that would blow his whistle if you were going too fast, the wrong way or whatever..... And couples skating to Dream Weaver...... hahahah !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChoctawNDNGirl View Post
    I remember Rocket having those "humps" or mini hills on their wooden floor.. Anyone else remember that ?? ... I was a Comet girl myself..... I remember some kid named Scott Wainscott that was like the floor ref or whatever they were called, that would blow his whistle if you were going too fast, the wrong way or whatever..... And couples skating to Dream Weaver...... hahahah !!!!
    You must be thinking of some other place, I skated the Rocket at least once a week for 5--6 years and they never had humps or mini hills. The Skate Center on S. Western did, but not the Rocket.

We went skating at some church downtown once, mid to late 60's early 70's, seems like it was on the third floor. Want to say it was near the 10th & Walker area. Anyone have a clue?

Prunepicker Guest

We went skating at some church downtown once, mid to late 60's
    early 70's, seems like it was on the third floor. Want to say it was near
    the 10th & Walker area. Anyone have a clue?
    Could it have been the unitarian church on N.W. 13th & N. Walker?
    There's a large room upstairs that may have been large enough to
    skate in.

Prunepicker Guest

I remember Rocket having those "humps" or mini hills on their wooden
    floor. Anyone else remember that?
    That was Moore's Skate-O-Rama on S. Western. They had a bicycle
    shop, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    That was Moore's Skate-O-Rama on S. Western. They had a bicycle
    shop, too.
    They also had an outside skate area on the north end of the building.

In 1970 I bought a custom made 10-speed bicycle ($295) from Moore's Wheel-O-Rama.

I also thought the Rocket had "bumps" at the south end of the skate floor...that were removed at some point.

Remember the Fast skate, Hokey-Pokey and Shoot-the-duck?

We went skating at some church downtown once, mid to late 60's early 70's, seems like it was on the third floor. Want to say it was near the 10th & Walker area. Anyone have a clue?
    Olivet Baptist Church. NW 10th just W. of Western.

23. Default Re: Comet Skating Club

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    I also thought the Rocket had "bumps" at the south end of the skate floor...that were removed at some point.

Remember the Fast skate, Hokey-Pokey and Shoot-the-duck?
    and an "All Skate" and "Ladies Choice couples skate"

Sorry for poor quality, I took at night on my cell phone while in the car. But you can clearly see Galaxy is still open, although not the best area of town anymore. Pretty Ghetto around this area now.

Love that they are using the vintage sign, which still looks cool.

They've spent a lot of money to update the place and I hope it's successful.

Thread Information