Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Great State Fair:....what do you remember???

Default Re: The Great State Fair:....what do you remember???

Overall... I had fun their this past Saturday. My only complaint was the traffic situation. They need to find a better way to manage the traffic flow in and out of the fairgrounds.

A good start would be desingated entrances and exits to keep the back up from happening on the outer streets. Reno, May and 10th all need to be redesigned for high traffic flow into the fairgrounds.

Other than that, I had a great time. The booths that bring heavy traffic had mulitple locations and there was plenty of stuff to see. I think they are still in transition from the Skip Wagner disaster. I like the cleanliness and the visablity of police. Not to mention the people watching was just a barrel of laughs. I am going to go back before the end of the week. I have to grab a turkey leg and another pork chop sandwich before it's over.

2. Default Re: The Great State Fair:....what do you remember???

About the traffic issue, I'm disappointed in OKC for not opening the May's onramp to the I-40. It's still closed. Thankfully, the offramp opened in time.

3. Default Re: The Great State Fair:....what do you remember???

Quote Originally Posted by kmf563 View Post
    The great people of Oklahoma took care of the side shows - Tiny Tina, the two headed man, giant snake...etc. The fair had nothing to do with that - it became immoral and politically incorrect to host them.
    I think I know who you are talking about. Two years ago, mom and I was walking by a booth. I saw a sign, which I thought said 2" (inches), but when we entered, it was actually a 2' (feet) lady. I felt bad, because I did not want her to think we were making fun of her. We shook hands and talk, then left. I think she was fine with making money (thousands each day), because people will naturally be curious what will be in the booth.

Another booth, was a half lady half snake. I knew it was fake, but I went in just to see the snake primarly. Huge snake, but I wonder how they treated the snake. Probably knocked him out cold, since the head was hidden under the hole.

I've never seen a 2-headed man/men, so if there was one, then I know it is fake. 2 guys in one huge wrap around costumes to make it look like they was conjoined. Or was they actually conjoined? Never seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    about the women that changed into a gorilla at the fair , my boss tells me the story a lot, she said she and her sister went to it and was at the very front of the scene, and the lady started to change and the cage dropped inches from hitting my boss in the nose, she said she doesnt no what happened next, she was trampling over little kids to escape to the exit she was so scared.
    That always happened. Men, women and children out like a flash.

That way maybe you would forget it was a fraud and complain...

Do they still have it?

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: The Great State Fair... what do you remember?

We go to the Fair for 2 exhibits. Whatever is in the Oklahoma building, but
    not the boring agtropolis. Then we go to the Modern Home building to see
    the baking, canning, etc. The food is okay but not great and certainly not
    anything to get excited about. The corn dogs are still good. It's way over
    priced for what you get.

As I said before, if it wasn't for the $1 and/or senior days we wouldn't go to
    the fair at all. Too much cost for too little. Make that way too little.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    We go to the Fair for 2 exhibits. Whatever is in the Oklahoma building, but
    not the boring agtropolis. Then we go to the Modern Home building to see
    the baking, canning, etc. The food is okay but not great and certainly not
    anything to get excited about. The corn dogs are still good. It's way over
    priced for what you get.

As I said before, if it wasn't for the $1 and/or senior days we wouldn't go to
    the fair at all. Too much cost for too little. Make that way too little.
    When dealing with a subject from the past and comparing it to today, were things that great or is that how our minds want to remember them.

Not that I say that is true it's just a question that I wonder about at times.

But then again, never question the Prunepicker

7. Default Re: The Great State Fair:....what do you remember???

Prunepicker, what do you expect from the state fair? How much more do you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Prunepicker, what do you expect from the state fair? How much more do you want?
    I make the flea-markets during fair dates..........

No crowds........

They are all at the fair............

I remember hearing about 5-10 yrs. ago that the State fair of Oklahoma was the 3rd largest in the nation! I dont know what it ranks now,any1 know?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    When dealing with a subject from the past and comparing it to today, were
    things that great or is that how our minds want to remember them.

Not that I say that is true it's just a question that I wonder about at times.
    Even 10 years ago it was better. More exhibitors, more MADE IN OKLAHOMA!
    Good grief! It was packed.

Why wasn't the monorail upgraded instead of destroyed?

Even 10 years ago it was better. More exhibitors, more MADE IN OKLAHOMA!
    Good grief! It was packed.

Why wasn't the monorail upgraded instead of destroyed?
    I agree they have made so many mistakes out at the fair it is rediculous, something is to be said for tradition. Some people are to short sighted, and they are fair executives.

@KMF563 - Thanks for the positive input, but reading the complete thread, I'd say you are outvoted. The things that made the fair memorable to me (born 1948) are now gone, including my youth and energy.

That giants, dwarfs and "freaks" are no longer exhibited due to political correctness never crossed my mind. It always struck me as poor taste and/or bad judgement to show them and charge admission.

But give me corn dogs and funnel cakes, cars and motorcycles, horses, cows, chickens, and pigs, quilts, jelly, prize vegetables, and big crowds in the rain and I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    @KMF563 - Thanks for the positive input, but reading the complete thread, I'd say you are outvoted. The things that made the fair memorable to me (born 1948) are now gone, including my youth and energy.
    It's ok. I'm usually outvoted on everything. haha. I'm used to it.

I think I'm the only person in the world who embraces change. I'm one of those people who gets rid of everything at home too. If I don't use it in 6 months, I throw it out. My mind holds my memories, not objects. But I understand how people think the fair has changed so much over a 50 year period. I mean wow, I'm sure it has changed quite a bit. I bet the trip to get to the fair has changed as well. And the music they hear while there. Many many things must be different.

I'm curious if anyone knows the last year the fair was held on Douglas Blvd before it was moved to the current location?

14. Default Re: The Great State Fair:....what do you remember???

I'm curious if anyone knows the last year the fair was held on Douglas Blvd before it was moved to the current location?
    ???

It has always been at the same location, the fairgrounds, off of May all my life, including last year.

It's ok. I'm usually outvoted on everything. haha. I'm used to it.

I think I'm the only person in the world who embraces change. I'm one of those people who gets rid of everything at home too. If I don't use it in 6 months, I throw it out. My mind holds my memories, not objects. But I understand how people think the fair has changed so much over a 50 year period. I mean wow, I'm sure it has changed quite a bit. I bet the trip to get to the fair has changed as well. And the music they hear while there. Many many things must be different.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It was held behind the old Douglas High School off Eastern (Now M.L. King Blvd). The 1957 Semi-Centennial was the first time they had anything out there during the Summer time.... and then the fair was in the Fall of '57. I remember the Semi-centennial pretty well....

That's a good idea about going to the flea market!

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It was held behind the old Douglas High School off Eastern (Now M.L. King Blvd). The 1957 Semi-Centennial was the first time they had anything out there during the Summer time.... and then the fair was in the Fall of '57. I remember the Semi-centennial pretty well....
    There are many sites you can go online and find stories, post cards, pictures....

all at the location on Eastern.

Here it is another fall beginning. Lacking and yearned for is the days of old.......

No roaring crowds and bands from Capitol Hill or St. Mary's.......

No searchlights in the sky from the fair. No glow over the fairgrounds from the dust being stirred from the parking lot and the ground as a result of the crowd....

Less dust because there are no car races, stock, midget or whatever. From my house you could hear the roar of the cars as if they were racing somewhere around the Canadian or the Downtown Air park.

Are you sure fall has begun???????

Prunepicker Guest

I think I'm the only person in the world who embraces change.

I'm curious if anyone knows the last year the fair was held on Douglas Blvd
    before it was moved to the current location?
    Change is fine so long as it's good. I'm all for it being cleaner but as far as
    going there for a good time, it stinks. They should have fixed (read changed)
    the parking problem and left the fair alone.

1953 was the last year the fair was on N.E. 10th and N. Eastern.
    The current location started in 1954. There was a lawsuit against the
    construction company for not having it ready in time for the Fair.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Prunepicker, what do you expect from the state fair? How much more do
    you want?
    More "Made in Oklahoma" products and venders in what was once the
    "Made in Oklahoma" building. There were 3 times as many before the new
    regime. Put "Made In" back on the Oklahoma sign and fill it to the brim with
    Oklahoma venders and products!

The same goes for the other buildings. They don't have nearly as many
    either. That was one of the best things about going to the fair.

More food venders.

The AGtropolis should be in the Livestock barn. If it's so great nobody will
    mind going there.

that had to be the best 4.00 root beer I- have ever had!

One of the things I always did was to grab a foot long and jug of root beer from the A&W stand.

I would also take a tour through the food-row that ran north from the entrance to the midway. Always checked what local organizations were there and were serving. At the north end was the original sausage, pepper and onion stand. Had to get one for sure.
    always at least one corn-dog and a caramel or candied apple. At least one ham sandwich for the Jr. Hospitality stand. A Dan's Indian Taco was a must.

After that it was hit or miss. Pork chop sandwich. Maybe some alligator. Some taffy to take home. Cinnamon rolls were not too high on my list. Still don't know why people rave about them.

Did not play very many games. When I did it was for cigarettes.

The Made in Oklahoma Bldg, the OPUBCO, the International Bldg and maybe a couple of others were great. Some of those booths in the "Kitchens Bldg" were great for buying spices and such.
    Where I usually spent most money was the International Bldg. They had some great vendors there.

Lots of great memories of old. I just have not been drawn to the fair in years. You used to know where everything was going to be because little changed from one year to the next. Is it still that way.

I have 2 13yearold granddaughters and neither cared about going to the fair. With something like that if you can't keep the kids interested you are on your way out.

Right now, I remember that it's another year until I can get a Fresh Corn Dog from the Great State Fair of Oklahoma.......See ya Next Year....

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Right now, I remember that it's another year until I can get a Fresh Corn Dog
    from the Great State Fair of Oklahoma... See ya Next Year...
    I be there on $1 day.

Maybe we can all meet and visit the Corn Dog Exhibits together. Then go to
    the Oklahoma Wine tasting!

I be there on $1 day.

Maybe we can all meet and visit the Corn Dog Exhibits together. Then go to
    the Oklahoma Wine tasting!
    If I'm alive, I'll be there...But, I rather go to the Beer Tasting Booths....It's a date. Anybody else want to commit????

Thread Information