Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Great State Fair... what do you remember?

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Wow! I don't remember that!

I didn't see a helicopter ride this year.
    I doubt you'll see the helo rides again, what with the cost of jet fuel and liability insurance. The only folks who could afford it are likely the type of folks who wouldn't go to the fair in the first place (even before Skip Wagner's "improvements.)

Default Re: The Great State Fair:....what do you remember???

I remember when the NFR was held at the fairgrounds. Went there with my Father and Grandfather.

I just thought I would let everyone know if you planning on making a special stop for discount tickets do not waste your time.

I bought tickets at OnCue last night and they are the same price they are at the gate. $8

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    I just thought I would let everyone know if you planning on making a special
    stop for discount tickets do not waste your time.

I bought tickets at OnCue last night and they are the same price they are at
    the gate. $8
    There are some special days left. Here's the link to State Fair Promotions.
    According to this web site you're ticket should have merely been an
    outrageous $7 instead of the highway robbery price of $8.

$8 is too much for so little. However, the County Fair in Vermont, where our
    daughter lives, is $12 each! The Oklahoma County Fair was free.

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Oh My Gosh, it's here the Great State Fair of Oklahoma 2009. My wife and I went to the Kansas State Fair this past week end and anyone who found out we were from Oklahoma said:..."Now that's a State Fair"....Very Prideful after about the 10th person said it. My wife has some quilts that are on tour throughout the United States and she wanted to see them is why we were in Kansas.......
    I still remember the Old Fairgrounds (vaguely) when they were out by the Douglass Highschool area.....then they moved to May Avenue where they are today. Many stories and memories can come from this....Have you got one to share????
    ^^^^^ KS state fair is in Hutch right? I have a route up there, and hwy 96 was real busy this past Thursday!but yeah there is no comparison b/t the OK st. fair and the KS st. fair!but Hutchison is a nice city!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    I remember when the NFR was held at the fairgrounds. Went there with my Father and Grandfather.
    I went one year.....

Decided it was too much money to pay.....

for taking a nap......

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    ^^^^^ KS state fair is in Hutch right? I have a route up there, and hwy 96 was real busy this past Thursday!but yeah there is no comparison b/t the OK st. fair and the KS st. fair!but Hutchison is a nice city!!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes, it was a very nice town...reminded me of old town main street. The Kansas fair was nice....no complaints and was very clean./....

Has anyone been to the Tulsa State Fair?

Don't they run at the same time as the Texas State Fair?

Not that long of course, but they overlap at one point....

Tulsa State Fair was my fair growing up. Our band would travel, do the parade then have a few hours to kill at the fair before we were supposed to be back on the bus to head back home.

Of course, there were those who couldn't seem to tell time and often got back to the bus area later than everyone else. Not real popular with the folks who would get back early to be certain they were not left behind, but hey, if they really thought the buses would leave without them, they dinna deserve an extra midway ride or three anyhows.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Tulsa State Fair was my fair growing up. Our band would travel, do the parade then have a few hours to kill at the fair before we were supposed to be back on the bus to head back home.

Of course, there were those who couldn't seem to tell time and often got back to the bus area later than everyone else. Not real popular with the folks who would get back early to be certain they were not left behind, but hey, if they really thought the buses would leave without them, they dinna deserve an extra midway ride or three anyhows.
    When the OU football team spent Friday nights in OKC, they would board buses to head to the stadium. Greg Pruitt always had to have the spotlight and he would be the last one to get on the bus.

One Saturday he was late as usual so Coach Fairbanks left him. The OK Highway Patrol brought him to Norman, that kind of attention he did not want and was never late again......

The bread loaves were great.
    The thing that freaked me a bit was that guys voice "He's Real, He's alive see him for one dollar."

> "He's Real, He's alive see him for one dollar."

That type of phrase would only bother me if there wasn't a fair going on
    8^)

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NativeOkie View Post
    The bread loaves were great.
    The thing that freaked me a bit was that guys voice "He's Real, He's alive see
    him for one dollar."
    That's great! I remember when it was something like this...

He's Real! He's alive! He's HERE! For one thin dime, that's 10 pennies, 1/10
    of a dollar you can see him now!

Thanks for the memory!

How about the woman who changed into a gorilla (no! not my ex. but it could have been)

All done with mirrors of course.

3 of us ran for our lives when we were found watching what was going on on the back of the stage after crawling under the tent............

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    How about the woman who changed into a gorilla (no! not my ex. but it could have been)
    All done with mirrors of course.
    I never saw the woman change into a gorilla. Well, sometimes Prunette
    can...

NEVER MIND!

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    3 of us ran for our lives when we were found watching what was going on on
    the back of the stage after crawling under the tent...
    I didn't realize the livestock barn was under a tent...

Prunepicker Guest

Does anyone besides Gen64 remember the "Club Lido"? I used to think those
    ladies were beautiful...

then one night they were all outside posing whilst the barker did his spiel.

I ran to the front to get a good look at the dames. Well... I got a good look
    and they all looked like the prostitutes described in Orwell's "1984".

GAG CITY!

I never wanted to go to the Club Lido after that. Not even for free!

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    That's great! I remember when it was something like this...

He's Real! He's alive! He's HERE! For one thin dime, that's 10 pennies, 1/10
    of a dollar you can see him now!

Thanks for the memory!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now I remember, you were the one making fun of the Man behind the curtains....In 2005 there was a "Man-Eating Chicken" trailer out there....And, it was a Guy sitting there eating Chicken......They were excused from the Fair on opening night.....but not until they had gotten plenty of money from fair-goers...

Bonnie and Clyde death car........

Correct make, model and color..........

The bullet-hole decals raised some doubts.............

OK, you guys, I have to chime in here. Me any my buds always went, mostly to tour the midway, eat the food and visit the WKY/OPUBCO area.

We always went to see the "Wall of Death" where they rode vintage motorcycles around and round a vertical wall, defying gravity. It was noisy, smoky and great fun. Then there were the side shows...two-headed calf, alligator man (just a guy with a bad case of psoriasis), monkey woman (really hairy woman in a bikini - GROSS!), exotic snake woman (a middle-aged woman in overalls, high boots and a hat, sitting on a folding chair in a walled booth with rattle snakes all over the floor around her, doing nothing), and the ever-present "little egypt" who danced around in a bikini, supposed driving all the men wild.

It was great fun. One year I happened upon the booth where you try to throw a football through a tire. I threw 12 in a row through the tires and they gave me the biggest stuffed bear and told me I had to leave. There was the swinging ball that you were supposed to make swing back and knock over a bowling pin, except it was impossible, the position the pin was in. The 22 rifles where you were supposed to shoot out a little bitty red letter...I never quite made it. And the baseball toss where you were supposed to knock all three wooded milk bottles off the stand? I never was able to do that either, because - I found out later - the bases of the milk bottles were so heavily weighted that it was almost impossible to do.

All the same, I remember all of this fondly. Now I'm so hungry I want to burn my tongue on a really hot corndog, with lots of mustard.

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Well, the little wife won a Blue Ribbon for her quilt....That's First Place PapaOU...
    There was a crowd out there at 10:00 a.m. this morning...They were already selling Corn Dogs...you know, the Pronto Pup....30 minutes after you eat that much grease it's Pronto to the Men's room or Ladies room which ever is your preference...there is one cool new attraction...Petting Zoo from Afar...you know, baby Camels, Lamas etc....and for only $5.00 you get to rid a big camel for about 45 seconds...let's see, that about $3,000.00 per day for 14 days...going to buy a camel this week end...anyone got one for sell????
    I have a friend up in Bixby, Don Carmichael, who has at least two camels. They are not real friendly critters, but maybe you could rent one.

I'm probably going to get in trouble for this one but, I remember when the midway was always SOoooooo crowded a friend of mine and I would get in the crowd behind some older men and grabbed the women (backside) behind the men. Lot's of slaps and we had lots of laughs....plus we were the grabber not the slapped.....

There is a video out showing HOHO t the fair it is a classic. He is asking if anyone has found any ooooo`s and ahhh`s......miss that man!

about the women that changed into a gorilla at the fair , my boss tells me the story a lot, she said she and her sister went to it and was at the very front of the scene, and the lady started to change and the cage dropped inches from hitting my boss in the nose, she said she doesnt no what happened next, she was trampling over little kids to escape to the exit she was so scared.

Thought I would add my two cents worth of info.

First - It hasn't changed much over my time. I like the Toyota stage and free concerts rather than the planes. You can see planes at Tinker. The monorail was awful - it smelled and was stuffy. Glad it's gone. The great people of Oklahoma took care of the side shows - Tiny Tina, the two headed man, giant snake...etc. The fair had nothing to do with that - it became immoral and politically incorrect to host them.

The maps are really easy to read, if you have any questions ask the info people in the red booths all over the place. We'd be happy to help you find anything. If you are looking for a certain vendor, it might take us a minute but we'll find it. We have a listing of every single place in the fair by alphabet and category. It just takes a while to look through all of it. The booklets are free, they include a map and a daily event listing as well as additional info such as specials and vendors.

The agtropolis exhibit in the Oklahoma Expo Building is a huge hit and request. We have more people wanting to go there than any other place on that end of the fair.

Tim O'toole and Clay Bennett have both stated the state fair is a question mark in Maps3. The problem with most of what you guys miss is that inspections no longer deem them safe (monorail is a fire hazard) and per state law, when you remodel or upgrade something in a park, the entire thing has to be up to code and remodeled. It's a bunch of political hurdles that you wouldn't think about when changing one small thing at the fair park.

The home & garden building is now the Administration building. They wanted to bring the staff into the park full time and this is also where first aid and security is housed.

There are always specials online and an event schedule to help you decide when to go. It starts on a Thursday and ends on the following Sunday as always. Tonight is $2 to get in. It's also armed forces day. Thursday if you bring a Dr. Pepper can the ride armbands are only $16.

Our state fair is the only one that provides hospitality rooms for our vendors. They love it. If you get to talk to any of the vendors or car salesmen, they will tell you that by far in their fair travels our fair is the cleanest, cheapest, and friendliest fair. They enjoy it and look forward to coming here every year.

I volunteer every year and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by kmf563 View Post
    Thought I would add my two cents worth of info.

First - It hasn't changed much over my time. I like the Toyota stage and free concerts rather than the planes. You can see planes at Tinker. The monorail was awful - it smelled and was stuffy. Glad it's gone. The great people of Oklahoma took care of the side shows - Tiny Tina, the two headed man, giant snake...etc. The fair had nothing to do with that - it became immoral and politically incorrect to host them.

The maps are really easy to read, if you have any questions ask the info people in the red booths all over the place. We'd be happy to help you find anything. If you are looking for a certain vendor, it might take us a minute but we'll find it. We have a listing of every single place in the fair by alphabet and category. It just takes a while to look through all of it. The booklets are free, they include a map and a daily event listing as well as additional info such as specials and vendors.

The agtropolis exhibit in the Oklahoma Expo Building is a huge hit and request. We have more people wanting to go there than any other place on that end of the fair.

Tim O'toole and Clay Bennett have both stated the state fair is a question mark in Maps3. The problem with most of what you guys miss is that inspections no longer deem them safe (monorail is a fire hazard) and per state law, when you remodel or upgrade something in a park, the entire thing has to be up to code and remodeled. It's a bunch of political hurdles that you wouldn't think about when changing one small thing at the fair park.

The home & garden building is now the Administration building. They wanted to bring the staff into the park full time and this is also where first aid and security is housed.

There are always specials online and an event schedule to help you decide when to go. It starts on a Thursday and ends on the following Sunday as always. Tonight is $2 to get in. It's also armed forces day. Thursday if you bring a Dr. Pepper can the ride armbands are only $16.

Our state fair is the only one that provides hospitality rooms for our vendors. They love it. If you get to talk to any of the vendors or car salesmen, they will tell you that by far in their fair travels our fair is the cleanest, cheapest, and friendliest fair. They enjoy it and look forward to coming here every year.

I volunteer every year and love it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey, if you read through this thread you'll see that most of us have enjoyed the fair ALL of our Lives...we all have quirks that bug us but all in all we are very appreciative of the Great Stat Fair of Oklahoma. Granted, there are some gripes but most of us are remembering the past. I agree that the Horse barns need to be kept to perfection as that industry brings in mega bucks for OKC. And yes, the fair this year seemed to be quite clean against other years......But, the question all in all is where did our child hood days go....Answer :......In the past and boy do we have a pass to remember....Has the fair committe every think about an historic preservation??? they had one in Hutchinson< kansas just three weeks ago....People were all laughing and enjoying being a kid again...How about you????

Thread Information