Widgets Magazine
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

  1. Default What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    I remember that the Excalibur roller coast from Houston's now defunct park Astroworld was shipped to OKC to be rebuilt. It seems they had some trouble rebuilding it and it never happened. I was curious if anybody knew what happened to the track. Is it still sitting on park grounds?

  2. Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    Never heard of any other such coasters being built at the part. There is tracks sitting on the property for years, never built. I don't know the name of that coaster, but I heard it was damaged when people was taking it apart from a park in Texas. Some parts went missing. All hope is actually lost for that coaster and the park just need to simply throw them all out.

  3. Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Never heard of any other such coasters being built at the part. There is tracks sitting on the property for years, never built. I don't know the name of that coaster, but I heard it was damaged when people was taking it apart from a park in Texas. Some parts went missing. All hope is actually lost for that coaster and the park just need to simply throw them all out.
    Texans knew it was being shipped to Oklahoma, so they f-ed it up just to spite us *j/k*
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

  4. #4

    Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    I hijacked the truck before it made it to FC. I am setting it up in my backyard as we speak. All I can say is the neighbors are going to be pissed.

  5. #5

    Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    the coaster was sent to us, but during dismantle it was damaged and was never fixed like stated earlier , it set in the coaster bone yard for awhile, (boneyard is the extra 80 acreas just west on the other side of coletrane). you can see a good picture of the boneyard if you use satelite maps like google maps

  6. #6

    Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    It got stuck in a large boulder on the property and no one can seem to pull it out.

  7. #7

    Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    It got stuck in a large boulder on the property and no one can seem to pull it out.
    Thanks Metro..... I needed the laugh.

  8. #8

    Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    hmmm...never knew fc owned that area west of coltrane. always believed this myth that fc could never expand its park area due to greedy landowners demanding too much money to sell their property to fc.

    because it seems that in recent years, anytime fc got a new ride it was always one that occupied very little ground space and basically projected its riders up into the air above the footprint and back down again..not a roller coaster, which takes up excessive ground area.

  9. Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    FC just need to have the balls to fight for the expansions west of Coltrane Rd. I believe FC owns that road now? Or OKC took it over? Either way, the nearby homeowners just need to shush up about it. OKC should, and I do mean they SHOULD start to do something that will encourage FC to start expanding out there. It's good for tourist business and for the city with taxes.

    I haven't been out there, but I know they removed the Nightmare coaster. Why don't they add another coaster there with tracks extending all around, not just in that spot.

  10. Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    Quote Originally Posted by decepticobra View Post
    always believed this myth that fc could never expand its park area due to greedy landowners demanding too much money to sell their property to fc.
    No, but the nearby neighborhoods have complained about noise.

    Quote Originally Posted by decepticobra View Post
    because it seems that in recent years, anytime fc got a new ride it was always one that occupied very little ground space and basically projected its riders up into the air above the footprint and back down again..not a roller coaster, which takes up excessive ground area.
    It's really just a matter of those rides being far, far less expensive than a roller coaster. But also it adds a lot of cost to exand onto new land because you have to add walkways, restrooms, landscaping, and theming to that area in addition to the ride.


    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    FC just need to have the balls to fight for the expansions west of Coltrane Rd. I believe FC owns that road now? Or OKC took it over?
    No, Thunder, Frontier City does not own the road. That is a through street for miles to the north and south. Expanding the park itself west of Coltrane would require bridges or tunnels. The park owns the land north of their parking lot, and that area would make more sense for expansion. The parking could be relocated west of Coltrane.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

  11. Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    Good idea to relocate the parking to west of Coltrane and use the old parking to add rides, maybe a coaster or two. As for the other part of the west side, they can use bridges (makes more sense with FC's theme).

    I remember somewhere on here, someone posted something about OKC giving FC that section of road. Maybe not.

  12. Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I remember somewhere on here, someone posted something about OKC giving FC that section of road. Maybe not.
    I highly doubt it because there are some trailer parks and other businesses just north of Frontier City that are accessed from Coltrane and I don't think the city would take away their access from the south.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

  13. #13

    Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    now i wish the plans where to builda large parking lot on the land they own west of coltrane and have trams take the customers to the park, kinda like silver dollar city does, it leaves coltrane open. but the owners need to spend some cash fist, plus with the new the parking lot area, they could built there concert and picnic area in that space as well giving up more space for ride expansion.

  14. Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    Unfortunately Frontier City is like the 2nd or 3rd largest park operated by PARC Management. So I wouldn't expect a lot of investment since they probably don't have a lot of cash coming in. Looking at their properties, they are mostly family fun centers, go carts, and mini golf attractions. They do have a good line up of water parks too though. However, when it comes to thrill rides or anything else...they are lacking. I doubt they have the $10M or so to pump out for a new coaster anywhere.

    http://www.parcmanagement.com/properties.html

  15. #15

    Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    well the last coaster the steel lasso was pretty good, and that beat what sixflaggs did the whole time they owned fronteir city, and yet sixflaggs built monster coasters at a lot of their parks, so lets wait and see.. hopefully something good will end up at frontier city, they just need to expand with some good rides

  16. #16

    Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    Some of you may be too young to have ever ridden Nightmare, it was busted for so long. When it was operational, Nightmare was a short, but fun, lil' ride.

  17. Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    well the last coaster the steel lasso was pretty good, and that beat what sixflaggs did the whole time they owned fronteir city,
    Six Flags didn't buy Frontier City. It was the other way around.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

  18. Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Some of you may be too young to have ever ridden Nightmare, it was busted for so long. When it was operational, Nightmare was a short, but fun, lil' ride.
    No chit! That coaster was a MONSTER! And I love it! haha Nightmare had the MOST SHARPEST DROP than any of the other coasters. It's just that freaky! What was sad about that coaster was that they did not cover up all the holes on the building, so throughout the years, more sunlight kept coming in.

    The most memorable memory of that coaster was a few years ago, when mom and I was next in line. This lady (around teen age or in 20s) got in a car and noticed the safety bar does not close all the way to her legs. She was worried and said to the coaster operator, "If I fall out, I'll sue!" lol That's true, the safety bar only closed halfway, leaving quite a few inches for us to actually lift off the seat.

    Also, that coaster is not meant for anyone to raise their hands, especially the part when it spirals, because of the extreme limited space in between tracks and steel bars. It was scary, since I'm tall, that I'll hit my head. lol

  19. #19

    Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Six Flags didn't buy Frontier City. It was the other way around.
    Well, the company that owned FC bought Six Flags. That is interesting though. Then Six Flags sold off FC.

    So it is confusing, to say the least.

  20. Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDenver View Post
    Well, the company that owned FC bought Six Flags. That is interesting though. Then Six Flags sold off FC.

    So it is confusing, to say the least.
    The company, Premiere Parks, which happened to have its HQ's on the south section of Frontier City.

  21. Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    Yeah it's a little confusing. Premiere Parks started with just Frontier City, accumulated others including Darien Lake in Buffalo and Elitch Gardens in Denver, then bought out Six Flags from Warner Bros.

    Six Flags was then headquartered in Oklahoma City for several years. Despite that fact, FC was pretty neglected in favor of the larger parks. Then Gary Story, the genius behind the company's growth stepped down for health reasons, the company struggled, and some major shareholders staged a hostile takeover. This lead to new leadership being brought in and they were the ones that pulled out of OKC.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

  22. Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Yeah it's a little confusing. Premiere Parks started with just Frontier City, accumulated others including Darien Lake in Buffalo and Elitch Gardens in Denver, then bought out Six Flags from Warner Bros.

    Six Flags was then headquartered in Oklahoma City for several years. Despite that fact, FC was pretty neglected in favor of the larger parks. Then Gary Story, the genius behind the company's growth stepped down for health reasons, the company struggled, and some major shareholders staged a hostile takeover. This lead to new leadership being brought in and they were the ones that pulled out of OKC.
    That's a pretty good summation. The two guys from Tierco Properties really fixed the place up, what, circa 1981 or so? They then offered a boat load of money to Gary Story to manage the entertainment part of Tierco (renamed Premier Parks). The two original guys who saved FC from becoming a strip center (literally) left around 1990 or so. Story never had the support after they left, the remaining people started getting greedy, neglected FC, began purchasing other parks and made some truly horrible financial mistakes, including the purchase of Six Flags, Inc. which was already bleeding money at the time.

  23. #23

    Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    well thats the past, hope the future is better for fc, but doesnt look like it ..... but still taking the kids next weekend since i have a season pass, the kids love it age 3 and 4.. there is abouy 5 kiddie rides, wish they could have adeda little bit more

  24. #24

    Default Re: What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

    They should invest in one of those NASCAR Speed Parks (NASCAR SpeedParks - Home) in the OKC area. As big as NASCAR is in this part of the country, it would be a huge success.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Frontier City
    By okcpulse in forum Development & Buildings
    Replies: 715
    Last Post: 08-16-2021, 04:50 PM
  2. Oklahoma Recent Positive Press
    By AFCM in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-23-2009, 04:57 PM
  3. City officials adopt seven priorities
    By betts in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 11:25 AM
  4. The Best States For Business
    By okclee in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 10:52 AM
  5. NBA: Welcome to Oklahoma City; please stay
    By scotplum in forum Sports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-02-2005, 03:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO