Widgets Magazine

Thread: Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson in HD?

Question Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson in HD?

So I'm not sure if many of you watch the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. Last night was labeled to be their HD debut. They mentioned they were now in HD on the show, but I was not getting the HD on my part. Instead of being in 16:9, I still had the show in 4:3.

Before you ask yes I have an HDTV, yes I can receive HD channels, no my HD channels were not messed up.

Anyone else notice this?

Default Re: Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson in HD?

UPDATE:

I just pulled last night's intro from CBS' website and compared it to the image that KWTV was broadcasting last night (which I still had on my DVR).

In the opening segment there's a scene with a cab pulling away down a Los Angeles street. In the video KWTV aired, you can just kind of barely see a building to the far right. In the CBS frame, not only can you see the building but additional neon lights and other details that are not in the image transmitted by KWTV.

For some reason KWTV is cropping the image down to 4:3. Perhaps since the show is syndicated they have a non-HD version?

Craig Ferguson is tape-delayed on KWTV.
    They haven't spent the money on HD capable recording equipment.

With their current setup, KWTV can only show high definition stuff if it is coming directly from their satellite feed.

Wow, that sucks.

I can see where KWTV hasn't decided to drop the money for the HD recording equipment...Cause we still aren't sure this whole HD thing will take off

It makes sense. They also have ET in HD but not in HD on KWTV because it's probably tape delayed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    UPDATE:

I just pulled last night's intro from CBS' website and compared it to the image that KWTV was broadcasting last night (which I still had on my DVR).

In the opening segment there's a scene with a cab pulling away down a Los Angeles street. In the video KWTV aired, you can just kind of barely see a building to the far right. In the CBS frame, not only can you see the building but additional neon lights and other details that are not in the image transmitted by KWTV.

For some reason KWTV is cropping the image down to 4:3. Perhaps since the show is syndicated they have a non-HD version?
    It isn't syndicated, it is a CBS show.

It was in HD last night here in Austin. Surprised me since I didn't know they were making the transition.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    I can see where KWTV hasn't decided to drop the money for the HD recording equipment...Cause we still aren't sure this whole HD thing will take off
    So I hope that KFOR-4's local HD news shows go up in the ratings to show KWTV and KOCO that HD is here to stay. I seldom watch the news on KOCO now any more and hardly ever did on KWTV.

9. Default Re: Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson in HD?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    So I hope that KFOR-4's local HD news shows go up in the ratings to show KWTV and KOCO that HD is here to stay. I seldom watch the news on KOCO now any more and hardly ever did on KWTV.
    Seems like KFOR is doing a lot right lately. They're in HD, they have some really enjoyable anchors, and now they're even blogging on their website, making themselves more accessible.

Plus, I now love to watch Bobbie Miller and Joleen Chaney on the Saturday evening shows; that's some really beautiful journalism those girls have! ;-)

Gone are the days when an anchor can just show up and do a show, then retreat into her own isolated private life and expect to remain popular, but we've got some anchors that are doing just that. I hope the ratings punish them for that. Viewers want someone who is fully committed to the job, not just showing up for a paycheck and living for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    It isn't syndicated, it is a CBS show.

It was in HD last night here in Austin. Surprised me since I didn't know they were making the transition.
    It's tape-delayed here in OKC. KWTV runs a Seinfeld episode in between Letterman and the Late Late Show.

11. Default Re: Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson in HD?

WOW! I accidentally recorded Craig Ferguson last night, since the show was delayed by tennis coverage, and I was blown away by how funny he was! I'd only seen him a couple of times briefly before, just because he's on so late, but OMG, the guy was ON FIRE! Is he always this funny? He was killing me!

He was funnier than Leno and Conan put together, and both of them did very good shows last night.

I'm hooked. My DVR is going to be working overtime.

Yes, he is hilarious! I like him soo much better than any of the others. Wish it was not on so late.

13. Default Re: Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson in HD?

Speaking of shows, Leno really nailed a cool interview with Kanye, there was an "Oprah" moment in there and Jay had him on the verge of a breakdown, either that or he should go into acting.

Conan, a guy I couldn't stand to watch, is improving greatly, and he cracked me up last night.

Leno was fun, but he didn't blow me away (yet). I didn't care for the car-wash prank. That was very awkward and kinda Conan-stupid.

And geez Louise, who wants to bet that they saved "Headlines" for last in the show just to give the local news stations a big juicy lead-in? I wonder if it worked? Did anyone in OKC watch FOX25 at 9 last night? My guess is that most eyes were tuned to Leno.

Watched MNF, recorded Leno and watched it about Letterman/Conan time when I got tired of the Raiders-Chargers game.

15. Default Re: Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson in HD?

Wow, Craig Ferguson is just killing me! I've been missing out on a guy that, for me, is the funniest comedian I've seen in ten years. Not only do I like his jokes, but his delivery is incredible. He came up with that alligator puppet last night, and when it raised up a claw and waved I was already cracking up! This should not have been that funny, but the guy has a way about him that just kills me! (Did I mention he kills me?) ;-)

It's like watching the best Monty Python skit you've ever seen, five nights a week. My poor DVR must feel like it isn't getting any rest.

Have you all seen this? It is just nuts....

In other news, I love the new opening sequence. I've always thought his jingle was pretty catchy, nice to see it getting the HD treatment.

18. Default Re: Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson in HD?

I love Craig aka the "Scottish Conan Guy"...He is amazing. I've always been annoyed at KWTV being one of the only affiliates that delays his airing. Probably too radical for them. :-P Craig definitely has some about his delivery. His skits are also cheesy and hilarious. "HAS THERE BEEN A MURDER????" LOL He seems to be the most down to earth, laid back, and always having fun at what he is doing. Oh, and everyday is a "great day for America." The puppets were a long shot when he first introduced them, but they are a huge part of the show now. Its just one of those real variety shows kinda that has been missing from late night.

Some of my favorite skits...yes there are quite a few.

First video at 3:40ish is the most hilarious part.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    I love Craig aka the "Scottish Conan Guy"...He is amazing. I've always been annoyed at KWTV being one of the only affiliates that delays his airing. Probably too radical for them. :-P
    I don't think Craig's too radical for KWTV. It may simply be a case of his show not drawing enough eyeballs. Years ago, KWTV used to get their rears kicked every night after 10:30pm because CBS's late night programming was so incredibly lame. Do you remember the "CBS Late Night Movie"? It was the absolute worst "B' Movies available. No..scratch that. Calling them "B" movies would be a compliment. These movies weren't even that good. So KWTV decided they couldn't do much worse than CBS was doing and they started to program their own late night stuff. They began re-airing Jeopardy and picked up "Married With Children" when it first went into syndication. Suddenly, they became a player again. KWTV was so skeptical of CBS's late night programming that they didn't even run Letterman at the right time when CBS picked him up because their Jeopardy re-runs were doing better in that 10:30pm time slot. I think that what we're seeing with KWTV running a Seinfeld re-run in between Letterman and Craig Ferguson is a hold-over from those old days when KWTV broke ranks with CBS.

For years there was no show after Letterman moved from NBC to CBS so the slot was open for the affiliates to fill it with whatever they wanted. When the Letterman production company (Worldwide Pants) pitched the Late, Late Show with Tom Snyder formerly of MBC's "Tomorrow" Show in the 80's with Snyder and Linda Ellerbe that was the first time since the movie that CBS tried late night. Later Craig Kilborne took over from Snyder and then Ferguson.

21. Default Re: Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson in HD?

Mhmm. I enjoyed Tom Snyder when he started the show. Hated Kilborne with a passion.

Perhaps KWTV will get rid of Seinfeld eventually and actually put the two shows back to back, or move Seinfeld to be after Craig. Especially now with Craig doing well ratings wise.

When I was at OU we watched the Tomorrow show quite a bit during the week, I always liked Tom Snyder and his interview demeanor. I watched when he came back after Letterman as well. I liked Kilborne as well but didn't watch it as much.

23. Default Re: Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson in HD?

Looks as if Yeynolds is buying the show (Seinfeld) and so I doubt it will move any time soon. Craig is very funny and if you are not watching his show you're missing out.

Thread Information