Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mayor Mick Running for Re-Election

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mayor Mick Running for Re-Election

Via his Twitter feed.

Default Re: Mayor Mick Running for Re-Election

I, for one, say "good." I know he was very seriously considering a run for Congress. Overall, he's been a good mayor. I hope he can keep OKC's momentum going and make Core 2 Shore successful by doing it correctly.

I'm not a GOP voter, but I would have been thrilled to have him representing our district in Washington.

That said, he'll have my enthusiastic support for mayor.

Now, who will represent us in Congress?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I'm not a GOP voter, but I would have been thrilled to have him representing our district in Washington.

That said, he'll have my enthusiastic support for mayor.

Although I think he'd be better than what we've got in Congress, I'm glad he came back down to reality as it would have been a serious longshot had he decided to run for Congress again.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Although I think he'd be better than what we've got in Congress, I'm glad he came back down to reality as it would have been a serious longshot had he decided to run for Congress again.
    I disagree. He would have been an immediate front-runner for Congress. No Democrat is going to win that seat, so he'd just have to beat out competition on the GOP side. I know for a fact he would have prevented several others from entering the race and the two major candidates in it now were worried about his entry. It would be a tough fight, but he could win it.

I do agree he would have made a great Congressman (like Metro said, better than what we currently have in that district), but I'm also glad he's running for re-election because I think OKC needs it (especialy given the alternative I heard who would be running to replace him).

He lost by quite a margin the last time he ran for Congress. District 5 is not easy for someone like him, I'm sorry but that's the reality.

He lost in a landslide the last time he ran for Congress. District 5 is not easy for someone like him, I'm sorry but that's the reality.
    What?! He forced a run-off with Fallin in a field of 6 (?) after jumping in the race VERY late (came in 2nd, 5000 votes behind Fallin), and then ultimately decided to not campaign in the run-off primary. I think your reading of his political viability in that district is off.

Anyway, I'm 100% certain Mike Thompson and Kevin Calvey are breathing a sigh of relief right now. Expect to see others enter the race now that Cornett is out.

I'd vote for Mayor Mick if he ran for Governor.

Nah, he is still a duck!!

I am very glad that Mick is going to run as mayor again. I think that he has done a great job and would love to see him in place for the next several years. He does a great job in promoting Oklahoma City and I think he does a good job of keeping people informed and involved with the plans for the future. Alot of times it is not what a mayor gets done during their term but what programs they initiate that come alive in the future. Ron Norrick would be a great example.

12. Default Re: Mayor Mick Running for Re-Election

He lost by quite a margin the last time he ran for Congress. District 5 is not easy for someone like him, I'm sorry but that's the reality.
    metro, I know you pay more attention to it than me, but how it's shaping up right now, Mayor Mick would have to be the frontrunner, no? Over Dr. Roy and.....whoever the hell the other person is that's announced? I'm a Dr. Roy kinda guy, but I can't imagine he'd be the frontrunner over Mayor Mick.

That being said, I love Mick as our Mayor and I want him here as long as he'll stay.

I think the district is hard to win for a Democrat if they're facing someone like Mary Fallin -- and they're running a political amateur, as they did last time. If they had a good candidate it would be competitive.

Using this thread to get past evil post #666. He should be a shoe-in!

I'd like to see him as our governor as well, but will enthusiastically support him for reelection as mayor, despite the fact that we belong to different political parties. He's got impressive vision, and that's what it takes to change our perception of and plans for our city.

Count me in as another who would vote for him if he should ever decide to run for Governor.

He has my vote for mayor, as well.

He seems to do well as your mayor. Might be for the best that he seeks to remain there. It would be a shame to see the progress made derailed, at least from this outsider's perspective.

Steve made an interesting point on Twitter yesterday. Does this mean Mick is NOT going to run for Congress OR will he announce his decision after he finishes the mayoral race like he did last time. Remember how right after he got re-elected, he decided to run for Congress. Personally I think he owes it to the City and citizens that if he is going to run for Congress, he should focus his time and efforts on that and not do it on City time after getting re-elected as a safety net.

Steve made an interesting point on Twitter yesterday. Does this mean Mick is NOT going to run for Congress OR will he announce his decision after he finishes the mayoral race like he did last time. Remember how right after he got re-elected, he decided to run for Congress. Personally I think he owes it to the City and citizens that if he is going to run for Congress, he should focus his time and efforts on that and not do it on City time after getting re-elected as a safety net.
    I fully agree.

Let's just say, at this point I wouldn't be too surprised if Mick pulls another one on us again and runs for Congress. I wish he would come out with a public statement on it, but why isnt' he......? If he wasn't he wouldn't have anything to lose, but gain respect. I hear Mike Thompson and some other guy which name escapes me are also GOP frontrunners considering a run.

Let's just say, at this point I wouldn't be too surprised if Mick pulls another one on us again and runs for Congress. I wish he would come out with a public statement on it, but why isnt' he......? If he wasn't he wouldn't have anything to lose, but gain respect. I hear Mike Thompson and some other guy which name escapes me are also GOP frontrunners considering a run.
    He made the statement in the very first announcement he made yesterday that he would not run for any other office. So that statement was there from the beginning. (Though others have pointed out he said something similar last time and ended up running).

This morning on News9 he said that he would not run for any other office if he is elected Mayor for a third term.

24. Default Re: Mayor Mick Running for Re-Election

Metro, he was pretty emphatic in the quote in the Gazette that he doesn't plan to consider any other offices.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Thread Information