Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things for a family to do for under $100?

Default Things for a family to do for under $100?

What can a family of 5 or less do in the OKC or surrounding areas (within an hour or so drive) for under $100 not including food or fuel.

A few that I can think of off the top of my head. Please include a link if you can to a website with more info.

1. Martin Nature Park- Admission is free and it is close.

2. Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge- Admission is again free and it is roughly an hour or less depending on where in the metro you are traveling from. I don't care how many times I go I find something new each time and the first time you see the herds out there on the plains it takes you back in time...

3. Medicine Park Swimming hole-Small admission I don't remember the exact amount I want to say around $5 per person but a nice side trip when you go to Wichita Mountains.

4. Red Rock Canyon- Admission is free and it is some really great scenery when you get back in there.

What are some more?

2. Default Re: Things for a family to do for under $100?

Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History http://www.snomnh.ou.edu/

Default Re: Things for a family to do for under $100?

Quote Originally Posted by dalelakin View Post
    What can a family of 5 or less do in the OKC or surrounding areas (within an hour or so drive) for under $100 not including food or fuel.

A few that I can think of off the top of my head. Please include a link if you can to a website with more info.

1. Martin Nature Park- Admission is free and it is close.

2. Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge- Admission is again free and it is roughly an hour or less depending on where in the metro you are traveling from. I don't care how many times I go I find something new each time and the first time you see the herds out there on the plains it takes you back in time...

3. Medicine Park Swimming hole-Small admission I don't remember the exact amount I want to say around $5 per person but a nice side trip when you go to Wichita Mountains.

4. Red Rock Canyon- Admission is free and it is some really great scenery when you get back in there.

What are some more?
    Great thread! Thanks for posting it. I have lived here 2 years now and didn't know about Martin Nature park. We will be checking it out real soon!

One thing I really like about the OKC area is the abundance of well maintained parks and walking trails.

Turner Falls is a nice day trip with some interesting history. $13 admission: Turner Falls Park, Arbuckle Mountain Region in Davis, Oklahoma ? family friendly water park in Oklahoma

Take some dog food or bread to feed the turtles. There are SEVERAL and they will climb over each other to get to the food. Neat little park my 3 sons, wife and I have really enjoyed it numerous times in our 3 years here.

Martin Nature Park is definitely cool! You should go once during winter, spring, summer and fall. But call ahead of time to make sure they are open.

The OKC Zoo has "free" days. Keep your eyes open for that.

The Oklahoma State Fair is coming up. Might want to start putting a little bit to the side for that though. Check for coupons.

Then there is fishing at Lake Hefner, always a fun family activity.

Whatever you come up with...enjoy!

MARTIN PARK HOURS:

Wednesday - Sunday 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

What you might want to call ahead for, or check out online at www.okc.gov/parks are their monthly educational programs. They won't have one in September, but will have two in October - the "Spider Hunt" program, as well as their free "FALL INTO ART" program.

Most programs cost $2 per person unless otherwise listed as FREE.

It's a great bargain, and a great place to take the kids and teach them about the natural world.

Another option is the Myriad Botanical Gardens and Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory. Their current exhibition, ConservaStory, is perfect for kids. Plus, you can teach your children about the environment and conservation right in a rainforest setting (something you don't see everyday). Hours are Monday - Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. and Sunday noon - 6:00 p.m. Admission is: $6 adults; $5 seniors and students 13-18; $3 children ages 4-12. Children under 4 are FREE.

Through the end of August you can enjoy FREE concerts at the Gardens, 7:00 p.m. most Sundays. Visit www.myriadgardens.com (calendar page) for the list of artists.

A night out at the Winchester Drive-In. Pop some popcorn, load up an ice chest full of soda and snacks.

Prices our $6 for adults and $3 for kids. They usually play at least two movies.

Oklahoma Drive In Theatre - Winchester Drive In

Buy a one year family membership to the Oklahoma City Museum of Art and go several times.

Become a Member | Oklahoma City Museum Of Art

Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    Buy a one year family membership to the Oklahoma City Museum of Art and go several times.

Become a Member | Oklahoma City Museum Of Art
    That is a really good idea.

10. Default Re: Things for a family to do for under $100?

you could go to H&H gun range. $9.50 per range for the whole day, Kids under 13 are free if accompanied by an adult. They'd probably make you rent 2 lanes, but that's still less than $20, you can use the rest on ammo and rental guns if you don't already have some.

buy a family membership to the zoo, go year round, especially buy in 2010 because the new childrens zoo will be open on 2.5 acres

Oklahoma History Center - Adults $5.00, Students $3.00, Children
    (5 & Under) Free, Family/Dual $15.00.

Harn Homestead - Adults $5.00, not sure how much for kids...you can bring a picnic lunch!

Seasonal events:
    Medieval Faire in Norman (free admission)
    Midsummer Night's Festival in Norman (free admission, arts show/music/food)
    Arts Festival - the one downtown, Paseo Arts Festival Memorial Weekend, OCCC Arts Fest Labor Day weekend

Check out the Oklahoma tourism websites...there are towns all over the State that have their own festivals. Most of those are free admission and many include parades, car shows and carnival rides. TRIPinfo.com - Oklahoma Festivals - Oklahoma Events lists events in OKC & Tulsa. There are others though, like the Fall Festival at Robber's Cave and the Sucker Day festival in Wetumka.

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Okie View Post
    That is a really good idea.
    The museum of art with kids along, you have got to be kidding me they would be board to death and running all over the place. Art is boring enough for adults but keeping kids entertained there um not good.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    A night out at the Winchester Drive-In.
    I didn't know we had a Drive-In in OKC. Thanks for putting up the link.

15. Default Re: Things for a family to do for under $100?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie40 View Post
    The museum of art with kids along, you have got to be kidding me they would be board to death and running all over the place. Art is boring enough for adults but keeping kids entertained there um not good.
    yeah, I never understand why people suggest museums or "natural beauty"-type place as family get-a-way spots.

When I was a child, I *despised* going to those type places, so did my brothers, so did my cousins, so did all my friends. It was never fun, for anyone in the family mainly because us kids were having such a horrible boring time.

boring
    Parents going and dragging kids along sounds boring to me too. They have family days with kid activities and membership includes discounts on classes for ages 3 and up.

Sewing classes for kids can be fun and they get to take something home with them. I'm a quilter and the kids' quilting classes are always full. It isn't a whole family "outing" but it is something kids can do and teaches them a skill they can use life long. I wish I'd done it with my own kids but they weren't really offering that sort of thing at the time. And even if they did, it wouldn't have occured to me.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzytoad View Post
    yeah, I never understand why people suggest museums or "natural beauty"-type place as family get-a-way spots.

When I was a child, I *despised* going to those type places, so did my brothers, so did my cousins, so did all my friends. It was never fun, for anyone in the family mainly because us kids were having such a horrible boring time.
    When we lived outside of DC my children were 1 and 2. We went to the museums of the Smithsonian all the time and they loved it. My daughter's favorite was the Air and Space Museum and she would go every day and see her P-40 Warhawk if I would take her. The key was I let them pick the museum and the exhibits and the time frame. Of course, we lived there in the winter so we could park close and the Smithsonian museums are free so we could stay for 30 minutes to an hour and not feel like we spent a fortune for such a small amount of time. When they were older, we would go to special exhibits at the Kimball in Fort Worth. I tried to make the trips all about them so I didn't linger at a painting too long (like I usually do) and would ask them lots of question about what they liked or did not like, how do you think the artist made the painting etc. I don't know many children that don't like to create art at a young age so I just figured they would like to look at art that other people made. They are a freshman in college and senior in high school and still accompany me to the art museum at least once a year. (Except now I linger at the paintings much to their dismay.)

Places like Celebration Station (I-40 and Meridian area) Heyday and Andy Alligator (North edge of Norman, just south of Moore on I-35) and Incredible Pizza on NW Expressway fit within the budget since you're talking 100 + food.

The sassy in me says hit a kids eat free or cheap breakfast bar or other such place, then take them to a big park, then hit a CiCi's or other low $ for the kiddies for lunch, let them play some video games, then hit another park, then a bargain basement movie house, as they are stuffed you can minimize the concession counter, then drag their numbed and stuffed their lil tired selves at a Micky D's with a playground they can finish wearing themselves out at and then take them home all full tired and happy, with a year's supply of sodium already out of the way, lol.

If they are too old for some of the above, well, there's always yard work.
    8^)

Zoo.

My poor kids got lunches sacked and put on forced hikes. I oohed and awed over nature stuff and they sweated and got surly. Good times.

I usually wasn't the one to take my kiddos to the zoo when they were little. Bright lil' buggers that they were, even then, I was never quite convinced they wouldn't find a way to have me locked in one of the exhibits.
    8^)

In OKC this weekend...

Train Tour

Looks like fun. We'll be checking it out tomorrow.

ALL ABOARD FOR “DISNEY’S
    A CHRISTMAS CAROL” TRAIN TOUR
    FROM SNEAK PEEKS OF EXCLUSIVE 3D FILM FOOTAGE
    TO SUMMERTIME SNOW – DISNEY PULLS OUT ALL THE WHISTLE STOPS
    FOR 40-CITY TRAVELING EXPERIENCE

Departing Los Angeles May 22; Tour to Cover More Than 16,000 Miles

Burbank, Calif. (May 8, 2009) -- Disney is pulling out all the whistle stops and taking its show on the
    road with a spectacular immersive and interactive 40-city train tour including a 3D sneak peek of film
    footage from the upcoming movie “Disney’s A Christmas Carol,” it was announced today (05/08/09) by
    Dick Cook, chairman, The Walt Disney Studios. Set amidst a snowy backdrop—complete with all of the
    sights and sounds of Christmas including carolers, decorations, giveaways and many more surprises in
    each of the 40 cities—the Train Tour is being launched with HP on board as the title and technology
    sponsor and driven by Amtrak. This family event is for guests of all ages and is free to the public.

In addition to the above:

Science Museum Oklahoma is always fun.

Putt Around in Edmond

Chickasaw National Recreation Area in Sulphur (Luke would concur)

Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum

Lake Arcadia - picnic and swimming

Will Rogers Park

The indoor carting place on 36th and May.

A daytime movie matinee

Lunch at Eskimo Joes

Lake of the Arbuckles

I took my two kiddoes to the driving range yesterday. $75 bucks for clubs that fit them, (and they'll use them over and over again) and 8 bucks for two baskets of balls to hit. Then we went on to the free chipping/practice green and we had a blast. My girl is 9 and my boy is soon to be 13 fyi. We might go again tonite!

When my elder son comes in to visit from 'bama, he and the youngest son will go golf together or hit a bucket of balls or two a couple of times while they are both here. I don't tag along, but they seem to enjoy that time together.

One reason I keep myself scarce is that my brothers and I dinna really spend time together until we reached adulthood. Another is that in my teens golf became, for me, a nice walk totally ruined by a pimply faced ball with zero sense of direction.

No reason for me to spoil it for them.
    8^)

Thread Information