Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OKC Boathouse District (YouTube Channel)

Default OKC Boathouse District (YouTube Channel)

...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

2. Default Re: OKC Boathouse District (YouTube Channel)

Thanks for finding this. Gives us a glimpse into what river related items will be included in MAPS3. I really like the whitewater center and the fixed river lighting. Since being contrarian has become the "it" thing to be on the forum, I'm sure that this thread will be ripped apart. Hopefully we get this phase out of our collective system before voting time arrives.

3. Default Re: OKC Boathouse District (YouTube Channel)

Nice Metallica quote....

Default Re: OKC Boathouse District (YouTube Channel)

Simply stunning!

6. Default Re: OKC Boathouse District (YouTube Channel)

WOW! I had no idea that the masterplan was being expanded to such a bold and AMAZING plan. This is some totally amazingly cool stuff! I can't wait to see these projects take off. The boathouses are finally starting to take off. Hopefully after they take foot, the other portions of the project will attract more attention and get rooted as well.

YouTube - boathousedistrict's Channel

I think this is what you were trying to link to.

I like some of it, some of it I hate.

It really needs more landscaping and more of a natural setting. Plants are the only natural way to filter the chemicals and bacteria out of the water. Well besides algae, but that is a mess.

8. Default Re: OKC Boathouse District (YouTube Channel)

i wonder when tulsa is going to announce they are building a super fancy rowing venue?

I'm sure there will be extensive landscaping and shade trees...

The renderings are just somewhat bare to accentuate the new structures and overall design.

I did read, however, that the rocks along the shoreline will stay because they help to keep the water surface smooth (absorb any ripples).

On one of the videos they showed a Whitewater Rafting training venue. Is that supposed to be positioned north of the river where all those houses used to be?

11. Default Re: OKC Boathouse District (YouTube Channel)

Cool! "Creating the world's premier urban aquatic venue" ... sounds so unreal, so yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    On one of the videos they showed a Whitewater Rafting training venue. Is that supposed to be positioned north of the river where all those houses used to be?
    It will be further west on the river than "boathouse row."

That is so cool! - can it be put on fast-track...please?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    It will be further west on the river than "boathouse row."
    I was studying the drawing by pausing the animation and the "whitewater area" is actually depicted as NE of boathouse row in what was the old neighborhood.

Maybe it is just a "option" that Rand cooked up as food for thought. Originally, I heard too that it would be west- but that is not what is depicted.

Almost all of that old neighborhood just NE of boathouse row is owned by Bill Canfield (of The Hill) and his group.

Am I correct in thinking the grandstand will be on the south side of the river - opposite the boathouses?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Almost all of that old neighborhood just NE of boathouse row is owned by Bill Canfield (of The Hill) and his group.
    The City owns it all now (or is acquiring through eminent domain)...

I hate to be a Debbie Downer here. I must admit these plans look great and these fill a need that has been demonstrated. However, I'm just really not that impressed. Anyone else feel that way?

I'm impressed.

Well okay then, I figured I would be the only one. lol oh well. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    I was studying the drawing by pausing the animation and the "whitewater area" is actually depicted as NE of boathouse row in what was the old neighborhood.

Maybe it is just a "option" that Rand cooked up as food for thought. Originally, I heard too that it would be west- but that is not what is depicted.
    I think you're right about the location of the course, and the possibility of it being only an option.

I've never seen an artificial white water course. Are they a loop... like an aquatic Pole Position, or part of/connected to the river?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Noir View Post
    Am I correct in thinking the grandstand will be on the south side of the river - opposite the boathouses?
    That's right.

I like the stairs and elevators at the Central Ave. bridge with the lights shooting out of the top. (Beacon of Hope... the Sequel!?) LOL the whole thing is sooo Rand!

Rand... how about going LED on everything as the seems to be a lot of "glow" going on. The OG+E lights on the underside of Central are brilliant! I don't wanna see similarly brilliant Underground-like colored-gell wrapped fluorescent bulbs but have since faded to near white. (I don't care what some people say the Underground is potentially one the the coolest things downtown has... that should be re-done in LEDs!)

I wonder how much space pedestrians have once they are crossing the bridge... and I wonder how feasible an added foot bridge is further east? Maybe close to the bell tower? It would help the circulation of people during major events like Head of the Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by bbhill View Post
    I hate to be a Debbie Downer here. I must admit these plans look great and these fill a need that has been demonstrated. However, I'm just really not that impressed. Anyone else feel that way?
    I realize your entititled to your personal opinion, however I'm curious? What is it about the plans that leave you unimpressed?

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    I realize your entititled to your personal opinion, however I'm curious? What is it about the plans that leave you unimpressed?
    I'm not sure really--hard to explain. In my opinion the project as a whole seems less than the sum of its parts. I like the idea of separate boathouses and the finish line tower, but I'm not a real fan of Rand elliot's work here. I think he's done a lot of great stuff, but here it just seems like he threw a bunch of triangles and glass around and called it a day. I wish there would have been a bit more continuity between the buildings. On the other hand, I am really glad we aren't seeing a set of cookie cutter brick and stone buildings along the lake. So, as a whole I guess I'm please, but I feel it could be better. :-)

edit: I don't claim to be an architect or a designer :-p

I don't understand how you think the design doesn't have continuity?

There will be lots of LED lighting, no fluorescent....

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    I think you're right about the location of the course, and the possibility of it being only an option.

I've never seen an artificial white water course. Are they a loop... like an aquatic Pole Position, or part of/connected to the river?

My understanding is they are repeating the OG&E LED Lighting on the other side of Byers and doing many times as much of it up and down the river.
    They will also repeat it on the I35 bridge.......

That's right.

I like the stairs and elevators at the Central Ave. bridge with the lights shooting out of the top. (Beacon of Hope... the Sequel!?) LOL the whole thing is sooo Rand!

Rand... how about going LED on everything as the seems to be a lot of "glow" going on. The OG+E lights on the underside of Central are brilliant! I don't wanna see similarly brilliant Underground-like colored-gell wrapped fluorescent bulbs but have since faded to near white. (I don't care what some people say the Underground is potentially one the the coolest things downtown has... that should be re-done in LEDs!)

I wonder how much space pedestrians have once they are crossing the bridge... and I wonder how feasible an added foot bridge is further east? Maybe close to the bell tower? It would help the circulation of people during major events like Head of the Oklahoma.

Thread Information