Widgets Magazine

Thread: memories

Default memories

graduated from northwest classen in 1970...anyone remember Kips restauramt on 32nd and north may?..when I was a kid, i remember fishing in a pond across from the northwest highway drive in..where the warwick apt are now....

Default Re: memories

Quote Originally Posted by greatdad50 View Post
    graduated from northwest classen in 1970...anyone remember Kips restauramt on 32nd and north may?..when I was a kid, i remember fishing in a pond across from the northwest highway drive in..where the warwick apt are now....
    I dated and then married a girl that graduated from Northwest in 1971. We were married for 26 years. She passed in 1997. We started dating in 1969. I went to Capitol Hill. I worked at the Humpty's at 30th & May and also the one on 23rd and Portland. I also worked with a bunch of kids that went to Northwest. I spent more time on the north side than the southside. There are a lot of great memories from the north side and yes I remember the Kips. There use to be a great pizza place across the street from Northwest too.

Lots of great memories about Kip's. Their Mocha Boy coffee was outstanding. The Big Boy was so much better than the McDonald's knock-off.

Townhero - someone told me that the Italian restaurant you're talking about was the first place in OKC to serve pizza. The name of the place escapes me right now, but if you browse the threads you will find it, I think in "Businesses you miss" or something. I loved their plain old cheese pizza. Lift a slice, let the butter-fat drain off and it was a little piece of heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Lots of great memories about Kip's. Their Mocha Boy coffee was outstanding. The Big Boy was so much better than the McDonald's knock-off.

Townhero - someone told me that the Italian restaurant you're talking about was the first place in OKC to serve pizza. The name of the place escapes me right now, but if you browse the threads you will find it, I think in "Businesses you miss" or something. I loved their plain old cheese pizza. Lift a slice, let the butter-fat drain off and it was a little piece of heaven.
    I may be wrong but I think Sussy's served the first pizza in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    I may be wrong but I think Sussy's served the pizza in OKC.
    ================================================== =========
    I think you're right....Carltonskeeper can tell us exactly...and probably how much it cost......Where are you Boy..????

Across from Northwest Classen was an excellent pizza place called NEDS.

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    ================================================== =========
    I think you're right....Carltonskeeper can tell us exactly...and probably how much it cost......Where are you Boy..????
    I be sittin' here drinking the cheese juice off a good ol' "Sussy's" pizza from the mobile Sussy's pizza wagon that usually sat at N.W. 23rd and Classen. I was eating Sussy's pizza at S.W. 23rd and S. Robinson in 1959 and don't remember them having any competition!!!!!!!!!

Carl..you are the man!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    Carl..you are the man!!!!!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++
    What'd I tell you????He's got a memory like a Steel Trap.......He's got a pretty wife, a mean dog, and a cool ride....Other than that though everything else shuts down....

Quote Originally Posted by UnclePete View Post
    Across from Northwest Classen was an excellent pizza place called NEDS.

NEDS!!! - I've been trying to think of the name of that place for 45 years. The first pizza I ever had was at Neds with a group of Ki-Yi's in the 10th or 11th grade. I didn't even know what pizza was. I haven't found any that good since then. --- Thanks

Neds, that's it, like Tall Girl I been trying to remember the name for a long time. First time I was introduced to it was when I started dating my wife. We would eat there all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by TOWNHERO View Post
    Neds, that's it, like Tall Girl I been trying to remember the name for a long time. First time I was introduced to it was when I started dating my wife. We would eat there all the time.
    ================================================== =========Go to Jo's Original Pizza (southside of Purcell)......Order the Combo and enjoy....They just serve Pizza...........I have heard all the arguments of the different Jo's and Rodney's but, the one in Purcell is the best....Me, The best Pizza i have ever eaten is in Tontitown, Arkansas at a place called Guido's but, that's a long way for a date......I enjoyed Sussy's also but.....

best pizza = pizza planet (shrimp and onion)

There's a place on campus corner in Norman. New York Pizza. They have all kinds of topping and a slice is gigantic

================================================== =========Go to Jo's Original Pizza (southside of Purcell)......Order the Combo and enjoy....They just serve Pizza...........I have heard all the arguments of the different Jo's and Rodney's but, the one in Purcell is the best....Me, The best Pizza i have ever eaten is in Tontitown, Arkansas at a place called Guido's but, that's a long way for a date......I enjoyed Sussy's also but.....
    The manager of Jo's in Purcell has opened his own place on the East side of Purcell somewhere, so I'm told; supposed to be really good!!

Quote Originally Posted by CarltonsKeeper View Post
    The manager of Jo's in Purcell has opened his own place on the East side of Purcell somewhere, so I'm told; supposed to be really good!!
    ================================================== ==========\His name is Rodney....He was Jo's nephew...It's located just as you come into town on the east side of the highway just North of the New Highschool....Like Jo's better....

Speaking of Tontitown, remember the catfish restaurant that moved from there to Eureka Springs?

Quote Originally Posted by TOWNHERO View Post
    First time I took a date there I made the mistake of ordering a full italian meal. It consisted of salad, pizza, spagetti, lasagna and I don't remember what all... I thought I was going to explode before we could finish it all. At that time I had never heard of a doggie bag. Then I got the bill and almost passed out. It took all my money, including what I had expected to spend on a movie. No second date with that girl.

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    First time I took a date there I made the mistake of ordering a full italian meal. It consisted of salad, pizza, spagetti, lasagna and I don't remember what all... I thought I was going to explode before we could finish it all. At that time I had never heard of a doggie bag. Then I got the bill and almost passed out. It took all my money, including what I had expected to spend on a movie. No second date with that girl.
    Thats is really funny. I didn't know about Neds, but she did and she took me there and ordered, I tried to pay, but she did. We went there many times until we left Oklahoma City. Never found a pizza we liked anywhere better. When I graduated from college, I joined the Marines, so we were gone for many years, except when we would could home to visit. I don't remember what year it was, but we came home and wanted to go to Ned's to get a pizza. It was closed and we were so disapointed. She was my soul mate, we had three wonderful children. I have never ever found another woman to take her place. I guess that is why I never got remarried.

Thread Information