Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Downtown Aquarium

Default Downtown Aquarium

I'm pretty new to the message board, though I've been following it for the past couple months as my interest in OKC has grown, so if this post is redundant, I apologize.

One of the things I'd really like to see in downtown (perhaps as part of C2S) is a state-of-the-art aquarium. I know Tulsa has one, but I think one in OKC would be a big tourism draw as well as a general enhancement to the area. I'm sure it would cost a ton of money. I just think downtown needs things like this, along with an expanded Botanical Gardens to draw in and keep tourists coming back.

What do you guys think about it? Has this already been discussed?

Default Re: Downtown Aquarium

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I'm pretty new to the message board, though I've been following it for the past couple months as my interest in OKC has grown, so if this post is redundant, I apologize.

One of the things I'd really like to see in downtown (perhaps as part of C2S) is a state-of-the-art aquarium. I know Tulsa has one, but I think one in OKC would be a big tourism draw as well as a general enhancement to the area. I'm sure it would cost a ton of money. I just think downtown needs things like this, along with an expanded Botanical Gardens to draw in and keep tourists coming back.

What do you guys think about it? Has this already been discussed?
    Agree! Anything to make the "quality" of life better for OKC residents. Since cities have become so "regionalized" economically, it seems cities have to compete and be in competition for tax dollars, tourist dollars and business dollars.

i always wanted a aquarium in downtown okc area, the zoo hasa good one, but i want something moore, like amoody gardens theme along the river would be nice

4. Default Re: Downtown Aquarium

Correction, the town of Jenks have the Oklahoma Aquarium, not Tulsa.

I think it is a great idea to have a huge state-of-the-art aquarium that rivals the one in Jenks somewhere near C2S or along side the river.

We do kinda have an outdoor aquarium at the Myraid Gardens an outdoor pond complete with amazing 2 feet plus Kois and turtles.

I think I have seen that the zoo intends to rebuild an aquarium has one of thier future develpment goals...

Hmm a under "sea" tunnel /room to see them past over head?

7. Default Re: Downtown Aquarium

Since we do not have one downtown, I will bring a mini one to the members here.

Thx to gmwise, my friend, mentioning the "under the sea" reminded me of the video I created and posted 2 years ago. I do not have them anymore.

Okay, this is a video that I had taken after doing tank cleaning, which explains the lack of bowled plants.

Turn the sound on/up, because it has the song. This was during the time I was still hearing pretty good.

Enjoy!

I've never been to the one in Jenks, I'd like to at some point.

I'd have a jaded opinion though after having been to some of the US's best aquariums. The Georgia Aquarium is the best I've been to, it is truly amazing. I've also been to the one in Baltimore, and Moody Gardens. Haven't been to Monterey though..

I went to the Zoo yesterday ($ .75 Wed. through August) and Aquaticus really stinks.. As much as I would like to see something like that here, I really think that other attractions are more important. Let the coastal states do the aquariums.

Something like an Air & Space Museum might be more relevant to our state. Even more relevant, an Earth Science Museum.

I want this:
    YouTube - Kuroshio Sea - 2nd largest aquarium tank in the world - (song is Please don't go by Barcelona)

Actually, I do agree that the city needs an aquarium. I wouldn't really consider the one at the zoo to be adequate for the whole city. I definitely think there is a market for a new aquarium and I can't think of a better location than downtown either!

11. Default Re: Downtown Aquarium

I echo that I would like to see a true Air & Space museum here...as well as an earth sciences museum.

Not to rain on the parade, but, I think anything that would be done in the nature of an aquarium, here in the middle of the continent, would always seem second rate to the super aquariums on the coasts. I feel OKC could better spend it's bucks on something else. Just my opinion.

A big aquarium sounds awesome. It's one of the first suggestions I've seen that made me say "oh yeah!" I don't think we'd have to have a Shamu or anything, but a nice, scenic aquarium with an underwater tunnel would be something really cool to have in our downtown area. It would bring a lot of people here, and would make OKC a real regional attraction. This is something that would be a must-see anytime anyone came to OKC. People would say "I want to see the bombing memorial, tour Bricktown, watch a Thunder game, and go through the aquarium."

14. Default Re: Downtown Aquarium

Yeah, let the Zoo upgrade theirs and we'll be set. Quite frankly, the Oklahoma Aquarium is not particularly impressive. Maybe I'm just too old.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

15. Default Re: Downtown Aquarium

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    People would say "I want to see the bombing memorial, tour Bricktown, watch a Thunder game, and go through the aquarium."
    Would they? I've been to cities with aquariums and very few qualify to be so high on a must list.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

16. Default Re: Downtown Aquarium

Just go to Bass Pro, they got a big fish tank there.

I love the idea of having a true tourist attraction downtown but I feel the country is a little over-aquariumed.

Seems like they are all over now.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Yeah, let the Zoo upgrade theirs and we'll be set. Quite frankly, the Oklahoma Aquarium is not particularly impressive. Maybe I'm just too old.
    But I loved the Oklahoma Aquarium. I've been to it twice. It was interesting at looking at all the fishes native to Oklahoma. The second biggest aquarium in the place of Carribean fish was so cool. The fish were so beautiful. The room with the two raccoons, two beavers and a 3 member otter family was quite captigating. It has been the only big aquarium I've been to, so I was easily impressed.

Great responses.

I still think an aquarium would be a great attraction to downtown, but I understand the points against it. So, besides an aquarium or Air and Space Museum (another idea I like), if there was one really cool, unique, creative attraction you think would bring tourists in and also attract locals to downtown, what would it be?

I'm just trying to think of way to make downtown even better as far as attraction selection goes.

assuming it survived katrina, or was revamped if it did not, the one in Nawlins was very nice when i was there several years back, oh my, make that several, several years back at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    assuming it survived katrina, or was revamped if it did not, the one in Nawlins was very nice when i was there several years back, oh my, make that several, several years back at this point.
    I used to live there up until I was eight (1998) and it was the first aquarium I had ever been too. I thought it was awesome. Looking back at pictures, it seems that it was a pretty good aquarium after all. Wish we something like that here. Seems like it would be a big attraction seeing as we don't see a whole lot of underwater creatures in the great plains on a daily basis. . .

Long term, a good compromise would be to leave the Aquarium concept to the Zoo, use the Science Museum Oklahoma space to build a new aquarium. Then re-establish Science Museum Oklahoma in a brand new building near downtown..

23. Default Re: Downtown Aquarium

Quote Originally Posted by jstanthrnme View Post
    Long term, a good compromise would be to leave the Aquarium concept to the Zoo, use the Science Museum Oklahoma space to build a new aquarium. Then re-establish Science Museum Oklahoma in a brand new building near downtown..
    Only if they promise to change the name. :-P

i thinka musuem kinda like the tunica river museum would be neat along the oklahoma river by downtown.. the musuem at tunica has mix of native fish turtles water animals etc aquarium, and its land history and findings . I think it would be neat for something like that to be built on the river front plus maybe add a nice riverfront restaurant to the museum. and have one of those river taxi ports right at the museum so people can get off and on right there!

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Only if they promise to change the name. :-P
    Does anyone actually call it Science Museum Oklahoma?

Thread Information