Widgets Magazine
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 282930313233

Thread: Things Your Kids will never know about

Default Re: Things Your Kids will never know about

keeps swinging back and forth but Twinkies, Ding Dongs, HoHos etc

Sad story on Channel 5 website...Bill Howard, AKA Pokey The Puppet died early this AM. What a hoot he and HoHo were

Beloved KOCO television personality dies - Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com

Prunepicker Guest

I heard about that. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    • Only having 3 - 6 channels to choose from on TV and needing "rabbit ears" to tune them in.
    "....and if the President was on, your night was shot!" -Jeff Foxworthy

Ha! Not just the President, but also three nights of party conventions during election years.

Full service gas stations.
    Movie rooms inside grocery stores.
    The sound of an ice cold soda being pulled out of an old side door vending machine on a hot summer day in front of above mentioned gas station.
    Rolling newspapers up at the drop and loading them on the bike for the paper route at 4:30 in the morning.
    Earning a little cash by walking the roadsides searching for returnable glass pop bottles.
    The smell of leaded premium gasoline.
    Riding the Monorail at the State Fair.
    Rotary telephones.

Good post. You're right on all counts.

Rezman,
    Please tell me more about this. I'm older than dirt and I don't remember this. Everything else I remember like it was yesterday. My mother refused to pay the extra charge (yes, there is/was one) for touch tone, and had her rotary dial till she died in December, 2003.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    Movie rooms inside grocery stores.

9. Default Re: Things Your Kids will never know about

Letting you kids walk to school without wanting to follow in the car behind them because of the crazy's out there!
    & cassette tapes!
    My daughter was asking me what one was about 3 weeks ago... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Rezman,
    Please tell me more about this. I'm older than dirt and I don't remember this. Everything else I remember like it was yesterday. My mother refused to pay the extra charge (yes, there is/was one) for touch tone, and had her rotary dial till she died in December, 2003.
    C. T.

ctchandler .... At the corner of NW 50th & MacArthur, there was a Red Bed grocery store. To the right of the doors inside was a small room that had a few benches and a movie screen where they showed movies to kids while their parents shopped. Consumers IGA at NW 63rd and Portland had one as well.

ctchandler .... At the corner of NW 50th & MacArthur, there was a Red Bed grocery store. To the right of the doors inside was a small room that had a few benches and a movie screen where they showed movies to kids while their parents shopped. Consumers IGA at NW 63rd and Portland had one as well.
    Founder's Fair on N. May had a movie room too.

I must make a correction. It was Red Bud grocery store, not Red Bed. ... Darn auto correct! I can't turn it off.

Rezman,
    It is starting to come back (my memory), I vaguely remember what you have described. They weren't available where we shopped when I was young so that's why I had forgotten about them.
    C. T.

Would it be inappropriate to generalize the discussion? Pre-Walmart Model Semi-Neighborhood Grocery Stores.
    (i was particulary fond of the one at Britton and Penn. No, on second thought, "Jim's Superthrift/IGA" was actually on Hefner=)

I'm pretty sure I stopped in at a Red Bud store in the distant past. Maybe because it reminded me of "Red Owl" Grocery that took the place of "Busley's" in my old hometown. =)

There was also one at the IGA at 23rd and Meridian. If memory serves, it resembled a covered wagon.

The thrill of a Duncan Yo-Yo, suspended, for the first time, right after taking it out of the package, at the bottom of a string, in sleeper mode.

RM,
    Good thought, and how about the Yo-Yo contests Saturday mornings in the theaters (The Redskin, the Knob Hill et al)? I competed on the stage during intermission and actually won a couple of times. It was quite an experience, demonstrating my skills to a theater full of kids.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    The thrill of a Duncan Yo-Yo, suspended, for the first time, right after taking it out of the package, at the bottom of a string, in sleeper mode.

I know. Sleeping on the "sleeping porch" in the country, because grandma didn't have air conditioning.

Biznesschic,
    That's a nice memory. From the time I was 3 till about 15 I spent the month of August with my aunt and uncle in Chickasha and I slept outside and my aunt sometimes slept with me. And I used to sleep in the front yard on S. W. 37th.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by biznesschic1959 View Post
    I know. Sleeping on the "sleeping porch" in the country, because grandma didn't have air conditioning.

Thread Information