Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taco Mayo

Large Chain Taco Mayo

They recently relocated/opened a new store a block east of the old location on Britton (just west of Western). Similar building revamp they have been doing in recent years, but now they are making their own tortillas and cooking their own chips fresh daily. They are also grilling all of their steak & chicken items in store. Think they said they are making their salsa fresh evey day as well. Their new Coke machine has 125+ possible variants. Taco Mayo seems to be moving up. According to the manager on duty, all of the Taco mayos will eventually go to the new fresh concept.

They were always a cheap place to get a taco but somehow everything tasted fake, from the meat, cheese and sour cream to the lettuce. Now how you manage to get lettuce to taste fake, i have no idea, but they somehow managed to pull it off. LOL

2. Default Re: Taco Mayo new concept

I believe they started that with the Del City store on 29th.

Default Re: Taco Mayo new concept

That may be, I think the manager told me that the only other one with the new "fresh" concept right now was in Shawnee???

4. Default Re: Taco Mayo new concept

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    That may be, I think the manager told me that the only other one with the new "fresh" concept right now was in Shawnee???
    Tell the manager that there is also one in Del City. It was recently built (relocated from the old location just down the street) and totally different. They got this machine where they make the tortillas right there for us to watch.

Always thought Mayo was better than Bell but worse than Bueno

I did not know until now that Mayo started in Norman!

Mayo is my favorite of the Taco chains. They have the best guacamole - even better than a lot of non-chain restaurants. And the salsa bar seals the deal. Looking forward to trying out one of these new joints.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Tell the manager that there is also one in Del City. It was recently built (relocated from the old location just down the street) and totally different. They got this machine where they make the tortillas right there for us to watch.
    The one in Del City is not the same as the new one described in the OP. They do have the fresh tortillas and a salsa bar, but there aren't 125 soda combinations and the salsa bar has the same sauces as mayo has always had. The DC location is just like the other newer ones... I know there's one in Norman... but the Fresh concept is a step above what is described in the OP.

9. Default Re: Taco Mayo new concept

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    The one in Del City is not the same as the new one described in the OP. They do have the fresh tortillas and a salsa bar, but there aren't 125 soda combinations and the salsa bar has the same sauces as mayo has always had. The DC location is just like the other newer ones... I know there's one in Norman... but the Fresh concept is a step above what is described in the OP.
    Yeah, I realized that the soda machine didn't have that many options. I just thought that was the only thing lacking at that location.

Something else i noticed, it had a much more "open" spacious feeling inside. Same decor and such as the recent remodels, but didn't seem nearly as cramped. I was impressed and will give them a shot the next time I am in the area.

The Taco Mayo in Chickasha has been updated to the new "fresh" concept.

I saw that new coke machine on a cnbc documentary about Coca-Cola. It has the 6-8 primary flavors and it mixes vanilla, strawberry, etc into the drink while dispensing.

Default Re: Taco Mayo

Noticed that the newer one built at Danforth & Santa Fe has closed and the building is now "For Rent".

They also closed their Rockwell and 23rd and portland locations as well which leaves 2 or so left in the OKC area. Are they in some sort of financial trouble like Quizno's and Sbarro?

15. Default Re: Taco Mayo

Huh? There are close to twenty Taco Mayo locations in the metro...

The one at 23rd and I-44 has been closed for a while now.

Theres 2 that I can think of just off the top of my head just in Edmond.

I retract the above statement. I just drove by one of them in Edmond, the one on Santa Fe & Danforth and it is closed and has a For Rent sign on the door. There were a couple of work trucks in the parking lot, and a couple of guys walking around the outside of the building.

The Taco Mayo at 2916 N. Classen has closed.

At first I thought it might be a renovation, but they cleared everything out and there hasn't been any activity since.

They also took their sign down, so it looks like this location is a goner.

Same thing happened to the one in Mustang last Friday.

21. Default Re: Taco Mayo

I blame this on them using ads with the spokesperson using a Scottish accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I blame this on them using ads with the spokesperson using a Scottish accent.
    LOL. I actually prefer Taco Mayo over others but they are more expensive than the other taco FF places. They have basically outpriced themselves in the market.

23. Default Re: Taco Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    LOL. I actually prefer Taco Mayo over others but they are more expensive than the other taco FF places. They have basically outpriced themselves in the market.
    I did too on the rare occasion I would have fast food Mexican food but I mainly went there because they were the only place still offering a taco burger..

But if I had a choice I'd love to have Taco Tico back...... Think the only one left in Oklahoma is in Duncan and I've not been over there in a few years. So it may be gone now too.

I live in Duncan. Taco Tico is still here.

BTW, a building permit was just filed for the old Taco Mayo spot at 2916 N. Classen.

In what will be a big surprise to all, it will become a cannabis dispensary.

Thread Information